Welcome to Gaia! ::

Enduring Gaian

Princess Twilight. Seriously, why is this such a big deal? I pretty much saw Twilight becoming some sort of major leader with all the clues thrown around but I'll admit the alicorn gene-altering threw me off. I was thinking governor or vizier.

Clue #1: She's Celestia's Apprentice. Twilight's magic was so powerful, the heir-less Celestia herself felt she had to train her and no-one else. You don't allow someone with that much growing power wonder around, you set them down with a major responsibility to keep them in check.

Clue #2: Celestia encouraged her to interact with and befriend common ponies rather than stay around noble/court ponies and unicorns.

Clue #3: She greeted the guests of the Grand Galloping Gala with Celestia, like someone being groomed, or an heir.

Clue #4: After being set loose in Ponyville, Celestia has Twilight handle all the major disasters such as Nightmare Moon, Discord, Crystal Kingdom, etc rather than handling them herself, with Luna, or with a magical trained army. This is similar to how princes in stories would be sent on special quests or trials before being allowed the throne.

Having Twilight turn into a alicorn would explain why all the other royal ponies are alicorns (except Blueblood and Sombra). Do we ever get to see the other alicorns pre-cutiemark? My theory on Blueblood and Sombra not being alicorns is that they were deemed "unfit to rule".

Precious Sweetheart

9,100 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Generous 100
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

emotion_bigheart Because we grew accustomed to more decent writing.

Fashionable Shapeshifter

11,200 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Nerd 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Sombra is probably a king because he overthrew the royal family of the Crystal Empire and named himself king. Not sure if he's even from a royal bloodline. He might not even be a native to that region or even a Crystal Pony since he's a Unicorn. Minus Cadance and Shining Armor of course, the rest of the ponies in the Crystal Empire all seem to be earth ponies.

Super Genius

I'm guessing part of it is just how sudden it is. Her becoming a princess is kinda something you'd expect to be the ending of the show.

So doing it (if it is permanent, which seems more and more likely) now leaves people wondering how they expect to handle the next season.

Some folks feeling like, for whatever reason be it management pushing toys or bad writing, that adding such a major change and doing so well without it causing major issues for the rest of the show's lifespan is something that they probably can't successfully manage to do.

I'm gonna withhold judgement until I see the episode, personally. So I don't feel one way or the other about it. I can honestly see why it makes sense for her to become one and have no beef with Alicorns and Alicorn OCs, but I think a major doubt is that it's too soon.

There's also the deconstruction of how people wanted to think of Alicorns, but that just is what it is. I can honestly see the appeal of going with the idea of anyone having the potential to be a 'princess' (used in that very broad 'girl with confidence, kindness and character' kind of way) even if not everyone is recognized for it.

Sure, it may not be ground-breaking writing, but it's not really atrocious, either.

So yeah. I really think the surprise is that they chose to do this now in particular and people were caught off guard at a time when many were already questioning the writing of this season.

Unbeatable Conversationalist

6,700 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Voter 100
  • First step to fame 200
Sinivar
I'm guessing part of it is just how sudden it is. Her becoming a princess is kinda something you'd expect to be the ending of the show.

So doing it (if it is permanent, which seems more and more likely) now leaves people wondering how they expect to handle the next season.

Some folks feeling like, for whatever reason be it management pushing toys or bad writing, that adding such a major change and doing so well without it causing major issues for the rest of the show's lifespan is something that they probably can't successfully manage to do.

I'm gonna withhold judgement until I see the episode, personally. So I don't feel one way or the other about it. I can honestly see why it makes sense for her to become one and have no beef with Alicorns and Alicorn OCs, but I think a major doubt is that it's too soon.

There's also the deconstruction of how people wanted to think of Alicorns, but that just is what it is. I can honestly see the appeal of going with the idea of anyone having the potential to be a 'princess' (used in that very broad 'girl with confidence, kindness and character' kind of way) even if not everyone is recognized for it.

Sure, it may not be ground-breaking writing, but it's not really atrocious, either.

So yeah. I really think the surprise is that they chose to do this now in particular and people were caught off guard at a time when many were already questioning the writing of this season.

You have basically summarize the opinions of the rational bronies who are on the fence of things. I too will hold judgement until the final two episodes airs. As you just said, Twilight becoming an Alicorn isn't the issue since the show been hinting it since season one. It's just felt to sudden and should have been use in a movie kinda plot device. I was a bit skeptical when Discord came back too soon. But after viewing the episode where the cast have planes to harness Discord's chaotic power for future use is great way for continuation without him being just the annoying thorn in the mane six's sides for them to defeat over and over again.

Supportive Seeker

people just don't get foreshadowing...

Enduring Gaian

Sinivar

Actually I think this could be the only thing pushing the show forward for another season. They have run out of "lessons" for everyone to learn and they can't keep defeating one big, world-ending, disaster after another. I see season 4 being about Twilight learning to run a kingdom and become a great leader. I also don't see it as sudden for the reasons mentioned above. The clues were there, it's just no one picked up on them.

I guess people just need to learn to loosen up, I don't think it's target audience cares about what happens to Twilight as long as she's a happy pony.

Dapper Conversationalist

xena91388

Considering that your first three clues come from S1 episodes, and Faust was a large influence during season one, it's fair to say that most of those are moot.
Because it's been confirmed that in her eyes, Twilight was not supposed to be an alicorn, at any time in the show.

Super Genius

xena91388
Sinivar

Actually I think this could be the only thing pushing the show forward for another season. They have run out of "lessons" for everyone to learn and they can't keep defeating one big, world-ending, disaster after another. I see season 4 being about Twilight learning to run a kingdom and become a great leader. I also don't see it as sudden for the reasons mentioned above. The clues were there, it's just no one picked up on them.

I guess people just need to learn to loosen up, I don't think it's target audience cares about what happens to Twilight as long as she's a happy pony.
I think either way they still have a lot of potential for future shows. I don't personally feel like Twilight being an Alicorn was a change that was needed just to continue the show, but if it's a change they want to make, I agree that there's a lot they can do with it. The problem is whether or not they have the ability to do so and make it work without alienating the other characters and making it all about Twilight.

Honestly I wouldn't mind the next season being symbolic of growing up and getting a job. Where you get out on your own and it becomes hard to be as close with your friends as it was when you were younger but learning how to make the effort instead of giving up on those relationships if they truly are important.

Thing is, hinted at or not, it's still something people probably expected for an ending to a series. Sending the show off on a triumphant high note where our heroine has an important future ahead of her that she can face because of the friends at her side and the lessons she's learned. But the problem is that doing it right now when a whole season lies ahead is either an ill-planned idea or a very ambitious one and people aren't sure if they can follow through.

It is true, though. The target audience likely doesn't care if she becomes one. Heck, anything that was called fan-pandering my daughter actually absolutely loved. She wasn't upset that the writers brought back Trixie or Discord and made them good guys. It made her happy to see them again being friendly. She loved RD becoming close with Scootaloo. And odds are, when Twilight gets her wings, my kid will be bouncing like a rabbit that got into the pixie stick candy. XD

Super Genius

Ryuusag
xena91388

Considering that your first three clues come from S1 episodes, and Faust was a large influence during season one, it's fair to say that most of those are moot.
Because it's been confirmed that in her eyes, Twilight was not supposed to be an alicorn, at any time in the show.
It was? I know she confirmed Cadance wasn't supposed to be one, but all I've seen her say about Twilight is that she can't comment on it. Did she say something new on the subject?

Dapper Conversationalist

Sinivar
Ryuusag
xena91388

It was? I know she confirmed Cadance wasn't supposed to be one, but all I've seen her say about Twilight is that she can't comment on it. Did she say something new on the subject?

Saw a screencap of a tweet from her in one of these threads.
Mentioned how it was out of her hands now, and that this wasn't her intention for Twilight.
I'll see if I can find,it, and edit it in here.

Edit
The screencap I had originally seen was photoshopped from the original, but there is a status from her on her twitter feed that said the same thing; "I had plans for Twilight, but they're irrelevant now."
Huzzah
Status was posted on Jan. 23rd.
It's vague enough to be an open ended statement, but based on the atmosphere surrounding her attitude towards the change, it seems as though she was apposed to this.

Also, earlier on in the show (A few times in S1, because fans had asked, and in S2 around the time Cadence popped up), she said that in her plans, there were only supposed to be the two Alicorns: Celestia and Luna. That's why Blueblood was royalty, and blood-related to the princesses, but not an alicorn still.

But that was a year or so ago, and I'm not going to go fishing for evidence right now, because I'm far to lazy, haha.

Enduring Gaian

Sinivar

Honestly I wouldn't mind the next season being symbolic of growing up and getting a job. Where you get out on your own and it becomes hard to be as close with your friends as it was when you were younger but learning how to make the effort instead of giving up on those relationships if they truly are important.

I get what you are saying but I disagree on this ^^^ The ponies are already grown up and have jobs. Twilight manages the library while researching, Rarity makes and sells clothing, Apple Jack works on the farm, Pinkie Pie works for the bakery, Rainbowdash regulates the weather, and Fluttershy is like a park-ranger. Plus previous episodes already covered time-management and friends. It feels to me like they are running out of material.

Super Genius

xena91388
Sinivar

I get what you are saying but I disagree on this ^^^ The ponies are already grown up and have jobs. Twilight manages the library while researching, Rarity makes and sells clothing, Apple Jack works on the farm, Pinkie Pie works for the bakery, Rainbowdash regulates the weather, and Fluttershy is like a park-ranger. Plus previous episodes already covered time-management and friends. It feels to me like they are running out of material.
True, but I mean in a way that's more symbolic than literal.

Especially since the jobs they have rarely ever cause them to lack for time to hang out together from what we've been shown. At most they've just been something they do on occasion to give them character or to act as plot devices. It would be nice to see one that actually did put a strain on the relationship.

Enduring Gaian

Sinivar
xena91388
Sinivar

True, but I mean in a way that's more symbolic than literal.

Especially since the jobs they have rarely ever cause them to lack for time to hang out together from what we've been shown. At most they've just been something they do on occasion to give them character or to act as plot devices. It would be nice to see one that actually did put a strain on the relationship.

But then that would be repeating previous episodes on theme if not exact plot. (at the risk of sounding geek-ish) There is an episode in I think season1, where Big Mac gets injured and Apple Jack has to buck all the apple trees by herself while trying to keep her promises to help her friends. She goes through the denial, sacrifice, and sleep deprivation tropes until she finally talks it out with her friends. Rarity and the socialites, Pinkie Pie and the clones, rinse, lather, repeat. Although there was no actual relationship straining in those episodes, it's basically the same thing over and over like Mozart's Variations of Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games