Welcome to Gaia! ::

Keychains and phone charms

Questionable Citizen

11,800 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Nerd 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Personally I'd like to see blank pony molds of G4 and other older generations aside from G3. It makes it less painful seeing ponies, especially the really old ones, being mutilated for a custom knowing that the blanks are available.

It's why I haven't tried getting into custom pony making yet. I just can't bring myself to destroy any of the dolls I already have.

Fluffy Pup

Murasaki Alien
Personally I'd like to see blank pony molds of G4 and other older generations aside from G3. It makes it less painful seeing ponies, especially the really old ones, being mutilated for a custom knowing that the blanks are available.

It's why I haven't tried getting into custom pony making yet. I just can't bring myself to destroy any of the dolls I already have.

This, as well as easy to get hair replacements for your regular ponies. ><

8,700 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Friendly 100
marshmallowcreampie

I guess the retailers thought that girls would be more likely to buy anything that was pink. cat_rolleyes There were already pink My Little Ponies, but I guess since Celestia was one of the two alicorns they insisted that one should be pink. Maybe the retailers also figured that a lot of the girls buying the toys don't watch the show in the first place. But yeah, if I was a kid watching this and I wanted a Celestia toy, I'd want a white one, dammit! cat_scream What's more annoying is that even on the packaging of the toy, she's white. They insist on a pink toy but can't even recolor the packaging?! emotion_donotwant Though I hope the Nightmare Moon sells well, then maybe Hasbro would consider making toys of the other villains. Even Queen Chrysalis can still have the brushable hair. cat_cool Retailers and toy makers insist that girls MUST only want fashion and nuture toys, but do they ever stop to consider that maybe they're contributing to a self-fulfilling prophecy? When they market the idea that competitive toys are for boys only, it promotes that idea. NERF should make some sparkly pink guns. emotion_awesome

And you are right about the princess thing, the creators outright admitted that they were asked to call Celestia and Luna princesses because they were told that girls associated queens with evil. (though I don't know why people blame Disney movies for that, I think only Sleeping Beauty and Snow White had queens as the antagonists. It's more of a general idea, not just Disney) Personally I view Celestia as a queen because everything about her just commands respect, but that's just me.

I think they blame Disney because the Disney movies are usually the first thing you think about when people mention the old fairy tales. Was Maleficent a queen? I thought she was just an evil witch. Or am I thinking of the non Disney versions where she was a evil fairy with no name.

Have you heard of the girls Legos? The boxes are all purple and it's all about friendship and homemaking. Boy's Lego sets are all career or fighting oriented, girl's get a heart shaped pool...yep, that's not gender stereotyping at all. rolleyes

Barking Cat

13,750 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Doggone It! 100
More Trains and more RC cars. ninja

I think they're releasing more background ponies in fall and they already have MLP FIM shirts for adults at Hot Topic.

Sparkly Pirate

17,250 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Citizen 200
PrettyTrini

I think they blame Disney because the Disney movies are usually the first thing you think about when people mention the old fairy tales. Was Maleficent a queen? I thought she was just an evil witch. Or am I thinking of the non Disney versions where she was a evil fairy with no name.

Have you heard of the girls Legos? The boxes are all purple and it's all about friendship and homemaking. Boy's Lego sets are all career or fighting oriented, girl's get a heart shaped pool...yep, that's not gender stereotyping at all. rolleyes

I... I don't remember. I thought Maleficent was a queen, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

And don't even get me started on those "girl" LEGOs! So many problems with it. If they want more girls to buy their products, why don't they, oh, I dunno, put it more girl figures? And maybe throw a couple chicks into the commercials? I could probably tolerate some cutesy pastel-colored sets where you made bakeries and houses and s**t, but the "LEGO Friends" set isn't as complicated as most LEGO sets, and the characters look completely different from the main LEGO figures, which just further separates the "girl" line from the main line. cat_stressed

LEGO has gotten a lot more gender segregated in general. Early on, they were gender neutral, they had both girls and boys in their advertising. Now, they went the way of every other toy company and decided that their merchandise must be for one gender and one gender only. I'm gonna avoid continuing my rant, but there's a really good video on Feminist Frequency that addresses everything that's wrong with the LEGO line. (they also have a great video on the sexist ways toys are marketed these days)

Wealthy Heckler

14,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
Toys and items that accurately portray Princess Luna as a mature immortal alicorn like her sister, not a baby-faced young foal that all her current toys show.

8,700 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Friendly 100
marshmallowcreampie

I... I don't remember. I thought Maleficent was a queen, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

And don't even get me started on those "girl" LEGOs! So many problems with it. If they want more girls to buy their products, why don't they, oh, I dunno, put it more girl figures? And maybe throw a couple chicks into the commercials? I could probably tolerate some cutesy pastel-colored sets where you made bakeries and houses and s**t, but the "LEGO Friends" set isn't as complicated as most LEGO sets, and the characters look completely different from the main LEGO figures, which just further separates the "girl" line from the main line. cat_stressed

LEGO has gotten a lot more gender segregated in general. Early on, they were gender neutral, they had both girls and boys in their advertising. Now, they went the way of every other toy company and decided that their merchandise must be for one gender and one gender only. I'm gonna avoid continuing my rant, but there's a really good video on Feminist Frequency that addresses everything that's wrong with the LEGO line. (they also have a great video on the sexist ways toys are marketed these days)

She could have been a queen in the movie, it's been ages since I watch Sleeping Beauty and I'm too lazy to look it up too. She did live in a castle and ruled over the other inhabitants, so it a fair assumption that she was.

The Lego thing pisses me off too. I had to watch a product knowledge video for it that was all praising them for making "Girl Legos" and my only thought was that I played with Legos when I was girl, long before this, without ever feeling it was for boys only. It's just stupid and sexist. I could go on a huge rant about it too, but it's late, I'm getting over a cold and this is the MLP forum, so I'll let it go for now.

Speaking of the actual topic, how come the blind bags made up a bunch of new characters instead of using the background characters that already existed and were well loved by the fanbase? Seems like that would be the thing that would make the most sense to do.

Sparkly Pirate

17,250 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Citizen 200
PrettyTrini

Speaking of the actual topic, how come the blind bags made up a bunch of new characters instead of using the background characters that already existed and were well loved by the fanbase? Seems like that would be the thing that would make the most sense to do.

Apparently the people who make the show and the people who make the toys don't have much contact with each other. It should also be noted that the toyline influences the show, not the other way around. For the most part, the creators of the show get almost full creative freedom, though from time to time Hasbro will ask them to incorporate something from the toyline into the show. (like the Friendship Express train, or Cheerilee) Though I do agree, it would be nice to have blind bag toys influenced by the show. But that's mostly cause I see them as things to collect, and it would just be a lot more fun to collect the blind bag toys if they weren't all just recolors of a couple different molds. Sorry, but that's a little lazy, there are plenty of blind bag and collectible toys that all have different molds. Making them based on characters from the show, even just background characters, would be a pretty good way to do that since they wouldn't have to spend much time designing new ones. (not to mention, the niche brony market would go NUTS to get their favorite background characters. That's part of what makes the brony fandom unique, every background character gets some love) I'd gladly go out buying blind bags if I could get toys that were all unique from each other.

8,700 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Friendly 100
marshmallowcreampie
PrettyTrini

Apparently the people who make the show and the people who make the toys don't have much contact with each other. It should also be noted that the toyline influences the show, not the other way around. For the most part, the creators of the show get almost full creative freedom, though from time to time Hasbro will ask them to incorporate something from the toyline into the show. (like the Friendship Express train, or Cheerilee) Though I do agree, it would be nice to have blind bag toys influenced by the show. But that's mostly cause I see them as things to collect, and it would just be a lot more fun to collect the blind bag toys if they weren't all just recolors of a couple different molds. Sorry, but that's a little lazy, there are plenty of blind bag and collectible toys that all have different molds. Making them based on characters from the show, even just background characters, would be a pretty good way to do that since they wouldn't have to spend much time designing new ones. (not to mention, the niche brony market would go NUTS to get their favorite background characters. That's part of what makes the brony fandom unique, every background character gets some love) I'd gladly go out buying blind bags if I could get toys that were all unique from each other.

That's what I meant when I said it would make more sense. I don't remember seeing the blind bag toys until after the show became popular. By then the fanbase had already taken to several background characters and they weren't quiet about it either, so they had to have known even without open communication with the show. From a sales perspective, it just seems like the more profitable thing to do.

And yeah, the blind bag collectables are super lazy. It's probably a money thing, it's cheaper to reuse molds then it is to cast all new ones. So toy companies will often reuse old molds for new toys when the design lets them. Or so I've been told.
kingchibidragon
Maybe a backpack and better plushies

Definitely a backpack, adult clothes, and plushies biggrin

Hilarious Humorist

7,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Simple: Make the existing toys accurate to the show. Get the colors, cutie-marks, and overall body shapes right. Even the coloring books are more accurate.

Next: Better quality plushies that don't cost an arm and a leg.. I really love the work I see so many artists do out there, but I don't have $500 for a nice handmade plush (much as I would love to have more than a few of them out on ebay right now) biggrin .

Dreaming: Develop Equestria-online. It could be developed to be fun for adults while still being kid-friendly. Nickelodeon (neopets, et. al) and Disney (club penguin et al) have done a decent job with their online communities, and I imagine Hasbro could do at least as well.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff