Questionable Citizen

11,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Nerd 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Ryuusag
Murasaki Alien

Rumors have been circulating.
Also, there hasn't been a single Derpy sighting in the entirety of S3, to my knowledge.
Gives the impression that they're pushing her aside quietly, so that there wouldn't be another shitstorm for completely removing her.

Sunshine Peach-Heart

Let me point out a few flaws in there...
First of all, I don't see what point you're trying to make with your broadcasting class reference.
Some kids complained that their janitors weren't doing a sufficient job, yet in the video clips they took, there the janitors were, working their asses off. In other words, the video contradicted it's own message. It was essentially a false claim, regardless if there was a disclaimer or not.
(And if there was a disclaimer stating that they were pleased with the janitors work, then why the ******** would they make a video complaining about it?)
Then, after watching it, I still don't see your point. Were you limited strictly because of the janitor portion? Because if that's meant for city-wide television, then it seems very unnecessary. Nobody is all too interested in listening to a boy complain about how he doesn't like mustard, and how his opinion needs to be respected.
That's a video that is fitting to be played school-wide. I've been in a broadcasting class before, and I've made stuff like that. Skits and the like. It's nothing to get butthurt over.

And also, the 'if you don't like it, don't watch it' is such a childish argument, really. Its public television. People are allowed to watch whatever they want, even if they don't want to. And furthermore, it's not just random parents complaining, that are saying 'Little boys and girls have mental disabilities, and this could be very offensive'. Most likely, it was parents of children who actually were mentally disabled. And they're not going to force their kids to stop watching a show that they like.

Glad I got that Hot Topic Derpy while it's still around >> Although I doubt her licensed merch at places like Welovefine will be discontinued. Still makes too much money. Just as long as she's not in the show I guess no easily-offended mothers will complain.

Liberal Loiterer

10,500 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Team Edward 100
Ryuusag
Murasaki Alien

Rumors have been circulating.
Also, there hasn't been a single Derpy sighting in the entirety of S3, to my knowledge.
Gives the impression that they're pushing her aside quietly, so that there wouldn't be another shitstorm for completely removing her.

Sunshine Peach-Heart

Let me point out a few flaws in there...
First of all, I don't see what point you're trying to make with your broadcasting class reference.
Some kids complained that their janitors weren't doing a sufficient job, yet in the video clips they took, there the janitors were, working their asses off. In other words, the video contradicted it's own message. It was essentially a false claim, regardless if there was a disclaimer or not.
(And if there was a disclaimer stating that they were pleased with the janitors work, then why the ******** would they make a video complaining about it?)
Then, after watching it, I still don't see your point. Were you limited strictly because of the janitor portion? Because if that's meant for city-wide television, then it seems very unnecessary. Nobody is all too interested in listening to a boy complain about how he doesn't like mustard, and how his opinion needs to be respected.
That's a video that is fitting to be played school-wide. I've been in a broadcasting class before, and I've made stuff like that. Skits and the like. It's nothing to get butthurt over.

And also, the 'if you don't like it, don't watch it' is such a childish argument, really. Its public television. People are allowed to watch whatever they want, even if they don't want to. And furthermore, it's not just random parents complaining, that are saying 'Little boys and girls have mental disabilities, and this could be very offensive'. Most likely, it was parents of children who actually were mentally disabled. And they're not going to force their kids to stop watching a show that they like.

Our local TV station plays a lot of wacky stuff... There's one guy who basically throws mental breakdowns on TV about the government and sometimes nearly swears. (Why they haven't taken him off the air is beyond me) There have been school committee and city council meetings were the open forum is in an uproar. In short, the local TV station is a bit screwed up. Anyway, the thing with my analogy here is that people can overreact to lots of things on TV. My point is, there are bigger things we need to worry about on this planet than what we can and can't show on TV. I kind of think eliminating her entirely is a bit if a far-fetched thing to do, in my opinion. They could have straightened her eyes out or whatever. They thing is, her appearance is not offensive. I can slightly understand how her speech and antics could be, but nobody will look at her and immediately say "OMG she's supposed to look disable how offensive.
After further research, I realized the source I got this info from is kind of sketchy anyway.
Also, it should be the parents' responsibility to help their kids comprehend what they are watching. My mom used to point out stuff for me on TV when I was young, marking stupid decisions people on TV made or mean things they did, or a portrayal of a culture that isn't necessarily accurate. More people should have a similar philosophy.

Dapper Conversationalist

Murasaki Alien

Oh I imagine a lot of the Derpy merch will be around for a while. Most of the staple Derpy items (hoodies/shirts/figures) are sold at places that mothers of young children wouldn't really look for MLP toys. Hot Topic, WLF, etc. And Hasbro knows that most bronies go batshit for Derpy stuff, so as long as she isn't in the show, and they don't run into any more possibilities of legal trouble, Derpy will continue to appear on our shelves.

Dapper Conversationalist

Sunshine Peach-Heart
My point is, there are bigger things we need to worry about on this planet than what we can and can't show on TV.

Correct.
So why is it so important to you that Derpy be included in the show again?
There are far bigger things to be concerned about.

Sunshine Peach-Heart
I kind of think eliminating her entirely is a bit if a far-fetched thing to do, in my opinion. They could have straightened her eyes out or whatever. They thing is, her appearance is not offensive. I can slightly understand how her speech and antics could be, but nobody will look at her and immediately say "OMG she's supposed to look disable how offensive.

Pretty sure that's what they did. They fixed her eyes and fixed her voice in the re-release of the episode she aired in.
But you're the perfect example of why that just won't suffice. You literally just said that it'd be fine if they just made her normal. But wouldn't that take away her most defining feature?
Keep in mind, all the head-canons, Derpy's entire life-story, her personality, and everything about her, revolves around the error in her eyes.
Also, it's obvious that people aren't supposed to see her and assume that she's disabled. Why do you think she survived in the background for so long?
It was the voice and personality that ended up being offensive to said parents.

Sunshine Peach-Heart
Also, it should be the parents' responsibility to help their kids comprehend what they are watching. My mom used to point out stuff for me on TV when I was young, marking stupid decisions people on TV made or mean things they did, or a portrayal of a culture that isn't necessarily accurate. More people should have a similar philosophy.

Really.
You do realize that you just defended the position of the offended parents?
They're being responsible for what their kids are watching. And they are definitely taking notice of one specific character. The parents are offended, but at the same time, they don't want to force their child to stop watching a show that they love. So, as a result, they go directly to Hasbro.
Lots of people share that philosophy.
Just like all of the parents that contacted Hasbro probably did.

Unbeatable Pirate

8,250 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Brandisher 100
  • Survivor 150
I mean, are they really Alicorn's? I don't see any fins, I see a horn, wings, legs, but no fins or gills for underwaterness. So i reject the title Alicorn as it implies that it has all aspects, perhaps a new term, maybe magiwingahooved ponies or unipegearth? who knows who cares i'm still gonna watch

Hilarious Member

Puppet of Shadow
I mean, are they really Alicorn's? I don't see any fins, I see a horn, wings, legs, but no fins or gills for underwaterness. So i reject the title Alicorn as it implies that it has all aspects, perhaps a new term, maybe magiwingahooved ponies or unipegearth? who knows who cares i'm still gonna watch
I don't know what they are TRUELY called but that's what everyone's calling them...

Aged Prophet

18,500 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Lauren....Cant comment (seriously I cant legally...)

Stay calm (Dodges shiz....dont these guys remember I have nothing to do with this)

No need to apologize (This is normal...just derpy part 2)

just a reminder (Remember I told you I had different plans for her)

Put praise here (This is where your shiz storms should go)

Hey bronies (troll face)

Mobs? (troll face)

Same all (troll face, but really it is same ol)

messing with you (untroll face, we all love to share the troll)

...(*sits out for a while)

And I kinda agree...whilst I feel like if twilight stays a alicorn it will change the direction of the show...I think waiting to see what actually happens in the show is probally the best option.

Hilarious Member

Sagebomb
I'm really starting to hate hasbro. And I'm worried that it will be permanent and it will become the mane 5. :/ and twilight will be a princess or such...

Omnipresent Cultist

5,250 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
CharcoalKittyKat
Sagebomb
I'm really starting to hate hasbro. And I'm worried that it will be permanent and it will become the mane 5. :/ and twilight will be a princess or such...

Twilight becomes a princess (this being a Knight or Living Saint or the like what the show is now making them into and not a monarchy Princess)

and given said title holds no Administrative aspects (Cadance did ******** all until the Crystal empire reappeared)

Why would she stop being friends and hanging out with the others ones?

Hilarious Member

Glorious Leader Luna
CharcoalKittyKat
Sagebomb

Twilight becomes a princess (this being a Knight or Living Saint or the like what the show is now making them into and not a monarchy Princess)

and given said title holds no Administrative aspects (Cadance did ******** all until the Crystal empire reappeared)

I mean like she'd be back in canterlot or whatever. Not in pony ville...

Lonely Hunter

4,850 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I've said it before and I'll say it again...there's more to this than we currently know. Why would they just spoil her becoming an alicorn like that, 2 weeks before the episode comes out? No, there's something ELSE going on...

Omnipresent Cultist

5,250 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
CharcoalKittyKat
Glorious Leader Luna
CharcoalKittyKat
Sagebomb

I mean like she'd be back in canterlot or whatever. Not in pony ville...

She a princess she can go where she pleases and do whatever she wants.

Who going to tell her what to do?

Dapper Conversationalist

Glorious Leader Luna

The other princesses.
You don't see Celestia/Luna/Cadence just wandering around doing whatever the ******** they want, and learning about friendship.

They have jobs, as royalty. If the title 'Princess' didn't mean anything, then it wouldn't exist to begin with.

"With great power, comes great responsibility."
I don't know about you, but being an Alicorn seems to entail having a ton of power. Especially for someone who's already as gifted as Twilight.

Omnipresent Cultist

5,250 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
Ryuusag
Glorious Leader Luna

The other princesses.
You don't see Celestia/Luna/Cadence just wandering around doing whatever the ******** they want, and learning about friendship.

They have jobs, as royalty. If the title 'Princess' didn't mean anything, then it wouldn't exist to begin with.

"With great power, comes great responsibility."
I don't know about you, but being an Alicorn seems to entail having a ton of power. Especially for someone who's already as gifted as Twilight.

Because Celestia and Luna Have Equestria to run and Cadence now has the Empire to run

all Cadence did before hand is went about Shipping Random ponies and babysitting.

Twilight has nothing and is now in the same spot Cadence was in before the Empire reappeared

She has sod all to do until Celestia finds some place to invade and topple the Government and place Twilight on the throne.

Dapper Conversationalist

Glorious Leader Luna

And there's supposed to be some sort of movie, revolving around Twilight's newfound alicorn-ness.

Point being, you can't say that her being an alicorn won't effect her relationship with the others.
At the time of Cadence's wedding, even though she wasn't a 'monarch', everyone around her referred to her as royalty, and treated her as such. Even after Chrysalis was found out.
What's to say that RD, Fluttershy, and the rest, won't feel the same way towards Twi?
And moreover, you can't say that it renders the term 'Princess' and their social hierarchy, completely useless.

Just because Cadence didn't do all that much doesn't mean that being a 'Princess' is nothing to fret about.
Maybe there's a reason that Twilight is becoming an alicorn, other than the fact that she's a very powerful unicorn, or things of the like.

There's a lot to speculate about.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces