Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Lunatic

7,800 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
AndyFrench
AshleyFreeman
Which is why I love this show! It teaches lessons that other shows no longer do! MLP is a light in the darkness as most of the shows still running.... Aren't all that good.

If we are judging it solely based upon lessons taught, you are entirely correct. If we are going by animation... Ehhhh.... that's a bit more iffy. It isn't bad in any sense of the word, but the stylistics are fairly typical for this day in age. They don't really challenge the mould at all. It's basically the typical animation of our age, just with Ponies.

Although if I was going to grant them anything, it would be their colour pallet. It is very bold and pleasant. Again, not ground breaking or anything (When compared to, say Mission Hill's (Because I like tooting the series that this avatar is an enormous reference to's horn) wonderful neon color palet.) but it is very bold and powerful, and that is a plus.

Honestly, when I watch it, I feel like it was made by decent (and when I say decent, understand I don't mean bad. I mean decent. Good, but not like... the reincarnation of Golden Age animators like Tex Avery) making decent (the same applies) animation, not visionaries. Not that that is a bad thing.

My own preference (In our age. If we are going earlier it is a handful of animators from the Golden Age and the Renaissance.) is the work of Pendleton Ward. Anything he touches is filled with an enchanting surrealism, to the point at which I think he is like the Salvador Dali of the Animation World.

Of course you were likely refering to the lesson teaching domain, so I will grant you your point.

I was mainly going at the lessons we learn. I even admit the shows animation is okay... Just not blowing you away. IT COULD BE WORSE. Have you seen reboot in its earlier years?
AshleyFreeman
AndyFrench
AshleyFreeman
Which is why I love this show! It teaches lessons that other shows no longer do! MLP is a light in the darkness as most of the shows still running.... Aren't all that good.

If we are judging it solely based upon lessons taught, you are entirely correct. If we are going by animation... Ehhhh.... that's a bit more iffy. It isn't bad in any sense of the word, but the stylistics are fairly typical for this day in age. They don't really challenge the mould at all. It's basically the typical animation of our age, just with Ponies.

Although if I was going to grant them anything, it would be their colour pallet. It is very bold and pleasant. Again, not ground breaking or anything (When compared to, say Mission Hill's (Because I like tooting the series that this avatar is an enormous reference to's horn) wonderful neon color palet.) but it is very bold and powerful, and that is a plus.

Honestly, when I watch it, I feel like it was made by decent (and when I say decent, understand I don't mean bad. I mean decent. Good, but not like... the reincarnation of Golden Age animators like Tex Avery) making decent (the same applies) animation, not visionaries. Not that that is a bad thing.

My own preference (In our age. If we are going earlier it is a handful of animators from the Golden Age and the Renaissance.) is the work of Pendleton Ward. Anything he touches is filled with an enchanting surrealism, to the point at which I think he is like the Salvador Dali of the Animation World.

Of course you were likely refering to the lesson teaching domain, so I will grant you your point.

I was mainly going at the lessons we learn. I even admit the shows animation is okay... Just not blowing you away. IT COULD BE WORSE. Have you seen reboot in its earlier years?

Oh, it could be much MUCH worse. Reboot? Pfa! There's worse than that! Ever seen the very early Superhero cartoons? They were almost painful. As was most of the animation from the dark ages. And it isn't some matter of it's being old, since the age before it (The Golden Age) produced some of the god damned finest Animation ever to grace Television.
AndyFrench
Superfriends is still one of my favourite cartoons ever. emotion_donotwant

Friendly Lunatic

7,800 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
AndyFrench
AshleyFreeman
AndyFrench
AshleyFreeman

Oh, it could be much MUCH worse. Reboot? Pfa! There's worse than that! Ever seen the very early Superhero cartoons? They were almost painful. As was most of the animation from the dark ages. And it isn't some matter of it's being old, since the age before it (The Golden Age) produced some of the god damned finest Animation ever to grace Television.

Well, I'm sorry. I'm not all that smart when it comes to tv animation. I'm still a child compared to you. You probably know so much more then I do about everything and anything.
Megalo Dawn
AndyFrench

And I liked the Spiderman cartoon from back in the day, that doesn't mean that the web pattern didn't mysteriously stop at his neck.

I also enjoy eating at low brow diners, that doesn't mean that they have a Master-Chef working in the kitchen. Just because we enjoy something, doesn't give it a free pass to high quality.

Compare shows from the Dark Age to The Golden Age or the Renaissance. The difference is almost palpable.
AshleyFreeman
AndyFrench
AshleyFreeman
AndyFrench
AshleyFreeman

Well, I'm sorry. I'm not all that smart when it comes to tv animation. I'm still a child compared to you. You probably know so much more then I do about everything and anything.

Eh? Where'd that come from?

No, I really don't. I just really appreciate Animation and thus can think of pretty bad examples of it.

As an aside: I'm 22, I'm not that old.

Friendly Lunatic

7,800 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
AndyFrench
AshleyFreeman
AndyFrench
AshleyFreeman
AndyFrench
AshleyFreeman

No, I really don't. I just really appreciate Animation and thus can think of pretty bad examples of it.

Well are there any movies that you would suggest to me? The weekend is coming up and I have nothing to do. I'm all caught up on school and I've already played the carp out of pokemon.
AndyFrench
Megalo Dawn
AndyFrench

And I liked the Spiderman cartoon from back in the day, that doesn't mean that the web pattern didn't mysteriously stop at his neck.

I also enjoy eating at low brow diners, that doesn't mean that they have a Master-Chef working in the kitchen. Just because we enjoy something, doesn't give it a free pass to high quality.

Compare shows from the Dark Age to The Golden Age or the Renaissance. The difference is almost palpable.
Just because it's not technically good doesn't mean it's not good in another way.
There's just something amazing about Superfriends I'll always love, it's just endearing, and pleasant.

That being said, my favourite cartoon ever is Animaniacs, and that was, without doubt, genuinely great.
AshleyFreeman
AndyFrench
AshleyFreeman
AndyFrench
AshleyFreeman

Well are there any movies that you would suggest to me? The weekend is coming up and I have nothing to do. I'm all caught up on school and I've already played the carp out of pokemon.

Hmmmm. I can, but they may be hard to find.

I am going to go ahead and assume you have already seen most of the Diseny Renaissance masterpieces, so I'll skip over those.

Most of Don Bluth's work is excellent. An American Tale, Secret of NIMH, Both fantastic movies. Heck, even when he isn't so good in most criteria, his visuals are always a treat. Really, I never saw a Don Bluth movie that had bad visuals.

But then, what would you expect from the man who forced the Disney Renaissance.
Megalo Dawn
AndyFrench
Megalo Dawn
AndyFrench

Just because it's not technically good doesn't mean it's not good in another way.
There's just something amazing about Superfriends I'll always love, it's just endearing, and pleasant.

That being said, my favourite cartoon ever is Animaniacs, and that was, without doubt, genuinely great.

True, but I am really going by Animation, and Dark Ages cartoons just don't hold up when put next to some of the master pieces.

Animanicas is a Renaissance Piece and the animation makes that immensely clear. It is absolutely excellent and in my eyes, one of the top cartoons of the era.

My own favourite is Mission Hill. While it had a few errors that you can spot with a keen eye, it was ultimately excellent. Their colour pallet was enormously creative, their stylistics were amazingly inspired, and it was an overall success... Well, ignoring the fact that choosing the wrong network, weak marketing, and mismanagement caused it to be cancelled before the first season ended.

Friendly Lunatic

7,800 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
AndyFrench
AshleyFreeman
AndyFrench
AshleyFreeman
AndyFrench
AshleyFreeman

I am going to go ahead and assume you have already seen most of the Diseny Renaissance masterpieces, so I'll skip over those.

Most of Don Bluth's work is excellent. An American Tale, Secret of NIMH, Both fantastic movies. Heck, even when he isn't so good in most criteria, his visuals are always a treat. Really, I never saw a Don Bluth movie that had bad visuals.

Secret of Nimph is one of my all time favorite movies. I loved watching it as a kid and I love watching it now. Don bluth forced the Disney Renaissance? Okay, that is just to freaking awesome. I have also seen american tale as a kid and it made me cry, its so, sad for a kids film! He keeps on missing his family by a few seconds! UGH! My pet cat rustie didn't like that I watched a movie with mice in it though. He didn't let me pet him for 2 days after I watched that movie.
AshleyFreeman
AndyFrench
AshleyFreeman
AndyFrench
AshleyFreeman

Secret of Nimph is one of my all time favorite movies. I loved watching it as a kid and I love watching it now. Don bluth forced the Disney Renaissance? Okay, that is just to freaking awesome. I have also seen american tale as a kid and it made me cry, its so, sad for a kids film! He keeps on missing his family by a few seconds! UGH! My pet cat rustie didn't like that I watched a movie with mice in it though. He didn't let me pet him for 2 days after I watched that movie.

Yep, see most of the films I can recommend, most people have already seen. It isn't like they are all well kept secrets.

Indeed, Bluth forced the Disney Renaissance. He left Disney with a handful of other animators for a variety of reasons (Mostly discontent with the state of their animation) and made his own Animation Studio which began pushing out very successful films, causing Disney to get worried and start putting a lot more effort into their animation so as not to be beaten, thus brining about the Renaissance.
AshleyFreeman
Watch Cats Don't Dance.
If you've seen it, watch it again
You're welcome.

My favourite Bluth film is Rock-A-Doodle.
It's kind of s**t sometimes though.

Friendly Lunatic

7,800 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
AndyFrench
AshleyFreeman
AndyFrench
AshleyFreeman
AndyFrench
AshleyFreeman

Yep, see most of the films I can recommend, most people have already seen. It isn't like they are all well kept secrets.

Indeed, Bluth forced the Disney Renaissance. He left Disney with a handful of other animators for a variety of reasons (Mostly discontent with the state of their animation) and made his own Animation Studio which began pushing out very successful films, causing Disney to get worried and start putting a lot more effort into their animation so as not to be beaten, thus brining about the Renaissance.

So kinda like the current battle that disney is having with dream works? Expect Dream works is winning? I really don't like disneys current films, they tend to suck. I did enjoy Tangled, but that's about it.
It's a good show to turn off your brain (and maybe machismo) to, that and it has the balls to have their characters take a hit now and then (not to mention I've watched about 17 episodes and they've already faced a fair amount of monsters).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games