Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Gekko

6,600 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Trader 100
Hi, I'm going to start a conversation for any bronies out there (I don't know the female term for MLP fans), do not feel offended or anything but I have this conversation many times with friends.

Why do you like MLP FIM?

I do not, personally, not that I am hating it or anything, the community seems to drive me away more than anything. Thoughts?

Precious Sweetheart

9,100 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Generous 100
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Teenagers and adults watch the show because they live in a world in which they are constantly bombarded with jaded cynicism. A show such as this is rare because it preaches values that are so clearly black and white and optimistic, that it allows people to effectively relive and remember their own childhood when they believed things like magic and the power of friendship.

It should also be noted that the show has since incorporated other references such as 'Looney Toons', 90s cartoons, 'I Love Lucy', 'Star Wars', Broadway musicals, etc. The list actually goes on. Also, the show has touched the hearts of some with it's Disney references and for the character Discord, who is voiced by John De Lancie of 'Star Trek' fame. Those who are fans of these works tend to gravitate towards other works that contain references to such.

It has become what 'Looney Toons' used to be back in the day; Family entertainment. And, family entertainment has no age limit.

Sparkly Gekko

6,600 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Trader 100
I suppose, but perhaps it is just the zealous nuts I have met who have watched MLP and not the normal people who want something other than an orange man in shorts screaming at his skinny wife about something or other, I am not entirely sure about TV.

Friendly Lunatic

7,800 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
I am already used to being picked on because I am not all that strong due to a disease I've had sense I was little. But after telling everybody I met that I am a brony, I don't get picked on that much anymore! The show taught me to stand up for myself, the main example is when fluttershy scares the living CRAP out of a dragon. I was thinking. " If a little peagus like fluttershy can stand up to a dragon, then I can stand up to anything." Which is why I love this show! It teaches lessons that other shows no longer do! MLP is a light in the darkness as most of the shows still running.... Aren't all that good. sweatdrop (looking at you disney channel) Plus, it is kinda fun in a way turning haters into trolls. I have a nack for making people like the show!
The show is great fun.
The community is awful.

Hilarious Genius

I'm offended because everyone and their gandmother's have made this topic.

GTFO.
AshleyFreeman
I am already used to being picked on because I am not all that strong due to a disease I've had sense I was little. But after telling everybody I met that I am a brony, I don't get picked on that much anymore! The show taught me to stand up for myself, the main example is when fluttershy scares the living CRAP out of a dragon. I was thinking. " If a little peagus like fluttershy can stand up to a dragon, then I can stand up to anything." Which is why I love this show! It teaches lessons that other shows no longer do! MLP is a light in the darkness as most of the shows still running.... Aren't all that good. sweatdrop (looking at you disney channel) Plus, it is kinda fun in a way turning haters into trolls. I have a nack for making people like the show!

I feel proud of you right now, nice job standing up for yourself. Also Annoying Orange on Cartoon Network and Fred on Nickelodeon.
mfw

Also OP, I feel that a good way of representing the show is that teacher who is really good at teaching you what you need to learn while still being fun to be around.

Friendly Lunatic

7,800 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Sage of rupees
AshleyFreeman

I feel proud of you right now, nice job standing up for yourself. Also Annoying Orange on Cartoon Network and Fred on Nickelodeon.
mfw

Also OP, I feel that a good way of representing the show is that teacher who is really good at teaching you what you need to learn while still being fun to be around.

That last part confused me a bit but I get the music. Main reason everyone thinks I am twilight, I love to lecture people. That also helps with the fact I want to teach children when I grow up.
I love you guys, and MLP, and this forum and stuff, but are we really still using "it has really good lessons"?

I'm fairly certain most of us are adults here, I don't think it's even healthy to still be learning lessons from a show for young girls.

I like it because it's cute.
And fun.

Questionable Sex Symbol

8,000 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
Megalo Dawn
I love you guys, and MLP, and this forum and stuff, but are we really still using "it has really good lessons"?

I'm fairly certain most of us are adults here, I don't think it's even healthy to still be learning lessons from a show for young girls.

And fun.

Who are you.
I've never seen you.

/le suspicious eyes
Oboromaru
The show is great fun.
The community is awful.

This. This summarizes it so well.
Here is my big problem with Bronies. It isn't that they watch MLP, or the reasons they like it, none of that matters much to me. What bothers me is this.

It is the fact that they feel the need to force MLP upon everything under the sun, and it's fanbase. And if the fanbase responds with anything other than "Why yes, Good sir or Madam, My Little Pony is fantastic!" you are branded a hater and you are bullying the poor innocent bronies who want to live in peace and harmony and totally in no way shape or form tried to force MLP down your throat.
I Am Princess Trollestia
Megalo Dawn

And fun.

Who are you.
I've never seen you.

/le suspicious eyes

I've seen you.
Frequently.
While you sleep.

emotion_kirakira

Questionable Sex Symbol

8,000 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
Megalo Dawn
I Am Princess Trollestia
Megalo Dawn

And fun.

Who are you.
I've never seen you.

/le suspicious eyes

I've seen you.
Frequently.
While you sleep.

emotion_kirakira

mmmmmmm....
OK
; 3 ;
AshleyFreeman
Which is why I love this show! It teaches lessons that other shows no longer do! MLP is a light in the darkness as most of the shows still running.... Aren't all that good.

If we are judging it solely based upon lessons taught, you are entirely correct. If we are going by animation... Ehhhh.... that's a bit more iffy. It isn't bad in any sense of the word, but the stylistics are fairly typical for this day in age. They don't really challenge the mould at all. It's basically the typical animation of our age, just with Ponies.

Although if I was going to grant them anything, it would be their colour pallet. It is very bold and pleasant. Again, not ground breaking or anything (When compared to, say Mission Hill's (Because I like tooting the series that this avatar is an enormous reference to's horn) wonderful neon color palet.) but it is very bold and powerful, and that is a plus.

Honestly, when I watch it, I feel like it was made by decent (and when I say decent, understand I don't mean bad. I mean decent. Good, but not like... the reincarnation of Golden Age animators like Tex Avery) making decent (the same applies) animation, not visionaries. Not that that is a bad thing.

My own preference (In our age. If we are going earlier it is a handful of animators from the Golden Age and the Renaissance.) is the work of Pendleton Ward. Anything he touches is filled with an enchanting surrealism, to the point at which I think he is like the Salvador Dali of the Animation World.

Of course you were likely refering to the lesson teaching domain, so I will grant you your point.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff