Welcome to Gaia! ::

Omnipresent Loiterer

11,700 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
I don't see this going very well. From PowerPuff Girls Z to Marvel Anime, it just seems like the Japanese don't do nearly as well as adapting American content for Japanese audience as America is at adapting Japanese content for an American audience.

Vermillion Evader

I hear it already: Well the japanese sub version is clearly better than american version because the voices are original to the series and doesn't sound fake and blah blah blah. Yep. Just like anime.

Vicious Aggressor

13,200 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Rumblestiltskin
I don't see this going very well. From PowerPuff Girls Z to Marvel Anime, it just seems like the Japanese don't do nearly as well as adapting American content for Japanese audience as America is at adapting Japanese content for an American audience.
User Image
User Image

First, isn't Hasbro based in Canada?
Also, do I have to mention 4Kidz dubbing of One Piece and other Japanese Anime?

Interesting Shopper

6,050 Points
  • PvP 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Generous 100

Friendly Sweetheart

8,550 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Ginger Nix

I think you're referring to DHX Media, the studio doing the work for Hasbro. Hasbro's based in the US.

Vicious Aggressor

13,200 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
arnoldmcguire335
Ginger Nix

I think you're referring to DHX Media, the studio doing the work for Hasbro. Hasbro's based in the US.
User Image
User Image

Probably. I knew that one of the subsidiaries of Hasbro was Canadian based.

Omnipresent Loiterer

11,700 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Ginger Nix
Rumblestiltskin

As someone else pointed out, Hasbro is in USA.

Secondly, 4Kidz dubbing of One Piece, as bad as it was, was the worst in dubbing...so trying to point it out as an "average" for most dubs is dubious at best, especially considering Funimation took over One Piece and are actually doing a decent job. And that's not even mentioning dubs like FMA, FMA: Brotherhood, Ouran High School Host Club, and plenty of other decent to great dubbing jobs.

And lastly, even if you do look at the bottom barrel of dubbing (either the overly censored ones, the small time independent dubbing companies, or the old school terrible dubbing jobs), that's still the best most of the Japanese dubs of American shows usually obtain. Look at J-dubs of stuff like the Simpsons, where they put on awkward voices for the characters, or PPGZ, where they completely miss what actually made PPG a fun show to watch...so even pointing out bad dubs Americans do is hardly defeating the argument that the Japanese don't dub any better.
Rumblestiltskin
Ginger Nix
Rumblestiltskin

Secondly, 4Kidz dubbing of One Piece, as bad as it was, was the worst in dubbing...so trying to point it out as an "average" for most dubs is dubious at best, especially considering Funimation took over One Piece and are actually doing a decent job. And that's not even mentioning dubs like FMA, FMA: Brotherhood, Ouran High School Host Club, and plenty of other decent to great dubbing jobs.

And lastly, even if you do look at the bottom barrel of dubbing (either the overly censored ones, the small time independent dubbing companies, or the old school terrible dubbing jobs), that's still the best most of the Japanese dubs of American shows usually obtain. Look at J-dubs of stuff like the Simpsons, where they put on awkward voices for the characters, or PPGZ, where they completely miss what actually made PPG a fun show to watch...so even pointing out bad dubs Americans do is hardly defeating the argument that the Japanese don't dub any better.

No, Ocean Dub for DBZ was the worst... Or, to be respectful, in my opinion. I admit that One Piece was a close second.

I know 4kids gets a lot of hate for its dubs, but they at least dubbed Pokemon the right way. Then PUSA came and ******** everything up with the voices.

Omnipresent Loiterer

11,700 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
The Child of Aura
Rumblestiltskin
Ginger Nix
Rumblestiltskin

No, Ocean Dub for DBZ was the worst... Or, to be respectful, in my opinion. I admit that One Piece was a close second.

I know 4kids gets a lot of hate for its dubs, but they at least dubbed Pokemon the right way. Then PUSA came and ******** everything up with the voices.

See, here's where I'd (respectfully blaugh ) disagree with you...now granted, I don't remember much of the Ocean Dub because I got into DBZ right as Funimation kind of took it over, and while I do remember some of the editing, they were still dubbing the show at a time when that's what companies did...they'd take anime and adapt it to kids because "it's a cartoon, so it must be for kids." By the time the 4Kids One Piece came out, plenty of shows had been dubbed decently and successfully at the time that that idea had become sort of outdated. Not to mention, while Ocean may have censored violence and cut one character out (so that an audience who hadn't seen DB wouldn't get confused), 4Kids had even crazier edits that made absolutely zero sense, like changing the color of someone's shirt...

And I thought they did "okay" with Yu-Gi-Oh! (probably because there was much less that they needed to edit due to it not being a fighting anime), but One Piece was so bad, the show still has a stigma on it to the point where people are a little uneasy about giving the Funi dub a chance.
Rumblestiltskin
The Child of Aura
Rumblestiltskin
Ginger Nix
Rumblestiltskin

See, here's where I'd (respectfully blaugh ) disagree with you...now granted, I don't remember much of the Ocean Dub because I got into DBZ right as Funimation kind of took it over, and while I do remember some of the editing, they were still dubbing the show at a time when that's what companies did...they'd take anime and adapt it to kids because "it's a cartoon, so it must be for kids." By the time the 4Kids One Piece came out, plenty of shows had been dubbed decently and successfully at the time that that idea had become sort of outdated. Not to mention, while Ocean may have censored violence and cut one character out (so that an audience who hadn't seen DB wouldn't get confused), 4Kids had even crazier edits that made absolutely zero sense, like changing the color of someone's shirt...

And I thought they did "okay" with Yu-Gi-Oh! (probably because there was much less that they needed to edit due to it not being a fighting anime), but One Piece was so bad, the show still has a stigma on it to the point where people are a little uneasy about giving the Funi dub a chance.

Yeah, 4kids and their dubs... I feel like Sonic X could have been better, but it wasn't the worst thing. But you're right; they did some crazy stuff to One Piece. Like the black guy's skin change...

I think that 4kids is just good at finding VAs for their shows.

Omnipresent Loiterer

11,700 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
The Child of Aura
Rumblestiltskin
The Child of Aura
Rumblestiltskin
Ginger Nix
Rumblestiltskin

Yeah, 4kids and their dubs... I feel like Sonic X could have been better, but it wasn't the worst thing. But you're right; they did some crazy stuff to One Piece. Like the black guy's skin change...

They've also picked some terrible VAs...The guy who did the Tristan voice at the beginning of the series (LittleKuriboh makes fun of it in his YGO:Abridged series) and the guy who did Sanji's voice stand out as being remarkably terrible, as they were guys who were like "this is a cartoon...so I need a cartoony voice!"
Rumblestiltskin
The Child of Aura
Rumblestiltskin
The Child of Aura
Rumblestiltskin

They've also picked some terrible VAs...The guy who did the Tristan voice at the beginning of the series (LittleKuriboh makes fun of it in his YGO:Abridged series) and the guy who did Sanji's voice stand out as being remarkably terrible, as they were guys who were like "this is a cartoon...so I need a cartoony voice!"

Oh yeah, Tristan rofl That was so strange that it was funny.
The good thing, though, was that they replaced that VA for a better sounding one.
True, 4kids have had some bad VA calls, but not as many as PUSA. Though 4kids made a mistake hiring Jimmy Zoppi (A.K.A Billy Beach) to play as Vector in Sonic X.

Cute Girl

Murasaki Alien

I can see it now:
DA JAPANESE VERSION IS LIEK SOOOO MUCH BETTUR DAN DA AMURIKAN VERSION! AND IT'S NOT EVEN OUT YET BECAUSE EGLUSH VERSIONS OF ERRY THING SUK!

AMGG THE JAPANESE VERSION IS SOOOO SOOPER KAWAII DESU KA, AMERIKUH CANT EVN CME CLOSE DESU!!! I BET YHU HAVENT EVN READ THE ENTIRE DOUJIN YET DESU
I hope someone puts the Japanese episodes on youtube. I'm curious about what the voices might be like.

I'm halfway expecting the entire cast of voice actors to be female, and they'll occasionally bring in a guy for all the male villains and a few minor male characters. Basically, if they're any manlier than the jock ponies from Sonic Rainboom, they'll get male voices.

As a side thought: What do you think would happen if whoever's over the Japanese translation genderswapped one of the major characters? Because for some reason, I can totally see Spike getting swapped. It's unlikely to happen, but still.

Unbeatable Conversationalist

7,000 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Voter 100
  • First step to fame 200
Princess Mi Amore Cadenza
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

emotion_bigheart Soon, all of the little Weeaboos will be obsessing over the Japanese versions of the episodes.

Actually believe it or not the Japanese weeaboos already bitching about their dub of the show and much rather watch it in English because listing to a language you don't understand is ******** cool right? rolleyes

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff