Welcome to Gaia! ::

I agree with the consensus here. Any character in any fandom can be a Mary Sue depending on how they are written. What you describe matches that to a T. I'm in an RP where a group of ponies that were abducted as foals escaped their captors after years of experimentation. The host's main character was born a unicorn and had wings grafted onto her, but using them is so painful she never does so. The other person is an alicorn, but he is a wind elemental (the result of experimentation again) so I don't really mind.

It should be noted that in another thread someone pointed out an alicorn foal in a shot of Twilight in a classroom as a filly.

In case you are wondering Aurora, the creature in mythology that seaponies are based on is a Hippocampus.

Eloquent Genius

14,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
I consider Alicorns to be rare, so when everypony uses Alicorn OCs, I find it really pretentious. It's like they're trying to look better than everypony else stare

Devoted Defender

9,750 Points
  • PvP 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Battle: Defender 100
To Draw their perfectly fine, however for roleplays I do believe them to be mary-sues...I think when it comes to Alicorns stick tot he 3 that have been introduced and nothing more...
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Back right, the yellow pony is clearly an alicorn.

There is no rule saying that if, say, a couple was make up of a Pegasus and a unicorn that an alicorn can't be born. But to do it well, a lot of thought needs to go into it, of course, since Alicorns are able to both fly and use magic, it is horribly easy to make a Mary Sue, especially since it is revealed in the episode 'Boast Busters' that a unicorn's (and in their nature, alicorn's) magic is based around a special talent, the reason that Twilight is capable of such diverse magic is because her talent IS magic. However, the vast majority of people who have the experience to make a well rounded character rarely makes an alicorn out of the fact that they are perceived as Sues because of the fact that all the established, or non backdrop characters, alicorns are royalty that they are reserved.

But on the other hand, Prince Blueblood is royalty but a unicorn.

Aged Regular

I'm not a fan of OC Alicorns.

9.99/10 they're Mary Sue's/Gary Stu's even if they don't think so. It's just not my thing.

Doesn't mean people can't/shouldn't. Just not a fan, and I probably wont make art of them.
What if you use them for a Ponysona ?

Fluffy Wolf

13,500 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Team Edward 100
So what it really boils down to is that most of the unoriginal alicorns are basically uninteresting carbon copies of princess Celestia. Because she's pretty. And nice. And regal. But awesome. Like even princess Cadence is completely different than Celestia but still cool at the same time.

So yeah, if you don't explore any sort of backstory beyond that, then yeah, I think fan-made alicorns are uninteresting.

Vicious Mage

10,500 Points
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Partygoer 500
You are sickened by the weakness... Of a heart that's filled with fear.
And if the world won't understand you... You can make it disappear.
Cuz there's a dark secret... You carry with you. You carry with you.

That is mostly cuz people don't put enough effort into creating their characters. Whenever I create a character, it often takes me ages to put together a good backstory, personality etc for them. I work hard on making them well balanced with faults and flaws. My alicorn OC, I came up with him as a side issue to a plot point in the RP; a villain will be introduced at a later date against who he is completely useless.

Good point at the whole unicorn/magic thing; I've seen a lot of people make alicorns who can do anything, magic wise. That's not really conductive to the way that unicorns work. My OC's magic is based around empathy and revealing one's true face; I based his magic on the Starchild concept (Yes, I'm a Kiss fan and I like to watch their crappy movie. So sue me.) which was why I called him Prince Star and made his cutie mark a gold star. However, I certainly don't see the point of RPing him as being perfect and all powerful; just what would be the fun in that? Personally, I find it far more fun to RP a flawed character who makes mistakes and messes up a lot, rather than a sickeningly perfect one.

User Image
CoffeeMusicIs4Me
Wuts an alicorn sweatdrop sry its just dat i keep hearin it and im just dyin to know wut it is
The actual word "alicorn" refers to the material that a unicorn's horn is made of. This term has been used incorrectly throughout history to describe a horse that has both wings and a horn, and it has been co-opted by the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic fandom to describe the two main princesses Celestia and Luna, and the new arrival Princess Cadence.

Proper terms to use are alacorn, from the elements "wing" and "horn", or ceraptor, meaning the same. One is Latin and the other is Greek, unfortunately I cannot remember which is which right now.

Dangerous Sex Symbol

i'm fine with alicorn ocs
as long as the owner doesn't make them be all royal
my alicorn oc Frozen snow isn't even royalty
then again i never want to thrust any alicorn into royalty
they're either evil or just don't care.
Only royal ponies are alicorns I'm pretty sure

I hate role playing with godmodders, because they act all great and mighty when they're not

I'd only role play with them if they were part of the royal family

Lonely Loiterer

10,250 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Citizen 200
I've never really cared about what people do with their OCs. Some people complain about "mary sues" or OCs that aren't original and I detest that. If someone isn't creative enough for you, boo-hoo. A lot of people grow and learn at different paces and if having an alicorn OC feels good to them and is a positive creative outlet for them, I think that's fantastic! I say have fun, be outrageous and over the top with your OCs if you want, it's all in good fun. 3nodding

Sparkly Pirate

19,350 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Citizen 200
I don't RP much, and when I do I typically don't do any based on shows or anything. Though I can see how an alicorn OC would be annoying in the context of an RP, they can easily cross into Mary Sue or godmodding territory, existing only so the roleplayer can feel cool or special.

Dangerous Lover

7,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Gender Swap 100
I'd have to say i am against Alicorn OC ponies. the people behind them usually make them far to powerful. and they hardly ever have a very strong back story.

Shy Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Tycoon 200
Sulina
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Back right, the yellow pony is clearly an alicorn.

There is no rule saying that if, say, a couple was make up of a Pegasus and a unicorn that an alicorn can't be born. But to do it well, a lot of thought needs to go into it, of course, since Alicorns are able to both fly and use magic, it is horribly easy to make a Mary Sue, especially since it is revealed in the episode 'Boast Busters' that a unicorn's (and in their nature, alicorn's) magic is based around a special talent, the reason that Twilight is capable of such diverse magic is because her talent IS magic. However, the vast majority of people who have the experience to make a well rounded character rarely makes an alicorn out of the fact that they are perceived as Sues because of the fact that all the established, or non backdrop characters, alicorns are royalty that they are reserved.

But on the other hand, Prince Blueblood is royalty but a unicorn.

Lauren Faust already stated that there is only 2 winged unicorns in MLP g4: Celestia and Luna... That filly is just an animation error (said by L.F. too). She was actually surprised when she realized that there were 2 winged unicorns more in season 2: the princess mentioned in the "hearts and hooves day origin" book and Cadence. I don't accept other winged unicors other than Celestia and Luna. The others are just an horrible intent to make everypony "special" and "princess/prince" like.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff