Welcome to Gaia! ::

On a side note, even if I can't sing and want to write songs, can I convert poems I already wrote into song format?

I use the rhyming scheme;

A
B
A
B

C
D
C
D

E
F
E
F

G
G

Benevolent Gaian

8,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
The Gobbler of Bacon
AkaTsuki-chan
The Gobbler of Bacon
AkaTsuki-chan
The Gobbler of Bacon

Isn't the purpose of learning your vocal range to determine what songs you can sing? derp.

I just wanted to get an idea of my vocal range so I could work on it for awhile without wasting my time on songs I can't do. I literally just started and don't feel comfortable showing anyone until I've achieved what I believe to be an acceptable level.

Nope. Voice classifications are determined once/as the voice matures and account for vocal tessitura, weight, timbre and breaks AS WELL AS range. I'm a Lyric Mezzo-Soprano, and it took several years of voice lessons to pinpoint it. That doesn't mean that I'm able to sing every single lyric mezzo role, nor does it mean I am incapable of singing music for other Fachs.

If you know your vocal range, sing things within your range. Derp.

Take a look at the music before you buy/study it. If it goes too high/too low you to sing, don't learn it. If you love it that much, transpose it until it's in a good key for you. The key you have the music in doesn't have to be the key you learn/perform it in. If you have a voice teacher, let him/her play around with your voice. Let THEM figure out your voice type. Deciding 'I'm a tenor!' when you start out can really screw up your voice. I went to school with a guy who came into college as a Baritone, went to Bass, then went to countertenor. Your voice is going to change as you study - whether you've gone through the puberty change already or not.

I hope my "derp" didn't come off as offensive, I was just messing around. : P

On what you said, I'm 17 so I'm guessing my voice is for the most part probably not going to get much deeper. I don't have a vocal coach nor can I get one, finding time to even practice is hard in a house of 7 people. I write and draw but recently I began writing poetry and am hoping to make the transition into writing songs and hopefully singing them well. I'm not looking to do it as a career just something I can try to develop over time.

I can try to upload a short clip of my voice singing but I usually sing quietly because 2 of the 5 people in the house are babies and I can't wake them up. Unfortunately, because of this I find it difficult to sing loudly and feel I lose any decency I had while raising my voice. So ya, if me uploading something of me singling quietly will help I'll do it but if it requires me raising my voice I'm afraid I'm outta luck for the time being.

By the way, thank you for being very informative, I've asked similar things on yahoo answers and got no response. >.>

As for your voice getting deeper - I wouldn't be so sure of that. Singing does interesting things to the voice. Your singing voice is constantly going to mature as you age. (There are some operatic roles that people shouldn't even consider until they're in their mid 20s or 30s) For example, at 18 I could hit high B's quite clearly with little trouble. At 19, I could barely get G's, at 21 even my F#'s were getting funky, and now at 22 I can get back up to A's. I thought I had lost my G's for good until I had to teach http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCWgYBI70PA to a bunch of teenagers. and had to let out a soaring high G. Totally kicked it's a**. :-p

Ahem. Anyway. Your voice is going to do some weird s**t the more you sing. Just go with it.

I guess inability to get a coach is mostly financial? That sucks. Are you still in high school? You might talk to the music/choir director at your school and see if they can help you out.

Yeah, if you have to sing quietly at home, don't bother recording there - it's just... not going to work. You can actually do some nasty damage to your voice if you intentionally restrict your voice for the sake of volume. Once again, if you can work out some kind of deal with the music teacher at your school, try recording there - where you don't have to worry about being quiet.

Yahoo answers sucks.

Don't worry about the derp. :-p

Yeah, I'm in high school but it seems I'm in a bit out of luck, I've met the music teacher and she's quite...well...to be frank, she's a b***h. Nobody likes her and she seems to be doing it more for the paycheck rather than the love of music. Also, I have sung when everyone was out (in these very, very rare occasions) and my voice just sounds flat and gets awkward/out of tune when I try to raise my voice during the chorus. It doesn't help either that like everyone my voice sounds different to me than it actually is so sometimes when I think I did okay I hit "replay" and it sounds bland.

@Immenitrable: We have 3 bathrooms, one in my parents room, the hallway near my parents room and next to the room of my grandfather who sleeps during the day. I'd be pissing someone off in the bathroom. As for the garage, there is a vent that leads up to the door near my parents room and they would hear me fairly easily. Outside is tough right now, I'm Canadian and its cold as s**t lol.

Aww, poor little Canadian! Sucks about your music teacher... I hate those kinds of teachers - my first co-operating teacher for my student teaching semester was like that.

Your intonation issues are probably related to how you're producing the sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPDMl_PCRqQ

THIS guy is nasty flat and off pitch because all of his sound is made by clamping down on his throat, rather than letting his entire body do the work for him. There's way too much pressure everywhere and he's going to end up with some nasty-a** nodes on his vocal folds. (Like calluses, but super nasty because they mess with your voice.)
Singing should be a natural thing - you should never feel like your throat/tongue/neck/ANYTHING is tense. If something feels tight, stop what you're doing immediately and relax.

I've seen Impenetrable Darkness's posts around the board - read what they're writing - they've got some GREAT advice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q31YDyxbS5k&feature=related

^ More whining and throat clamping than actual singing.

Invisible Friend

The Gobbler of Bacon

@Impenetrable: We have 3 bathrooms, one in my parents room, the hallway near my parents room and next to the room of my grandfather who sleeps during the day. I'd be pissing someone off in the bathroom. As for the garage, there is a vent that leads up to the door near my parents room and they would hear me fairly easily. Outside is tough right now, I'm Canadian and its cold as s**t lol.

Do you have a space outside of your home that you could use? There has to be some open space (somewhere) in Canada~ xD I'd take the time to find such a place to fully utilize your hobby.

Benevolent Gaian

8,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
The Gobbler of Bacon
On a side note, even if I can't sing and want to write songs, can I convert poems I already wrote into song format?

I use the rhyming scheme;

A
B
A
B

C
D
C
D

E
F
E
F

G
G

Sonnet form? Converting poems into lyrics is a lot easier than writing lyrics for a song that's already been written. (especially if you do Iambic pentameter - then meter has already written itself :-p)

People have been setting poems to music for... seriously, like 1000 years.

ShiningAce's Husband

Shirtless Giver

9,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Critic 0
skumskull
User Image

TITS RECORDING OR GTFO

I'm glad I was portrayed as being so beautiful.

EDIT: And intelligent.
Saemus
skumskull
User Image

TITS RECORDING OR GTFO

Haha, I saw that and was like *facepalm* "this doesn't deserve a response".

ShiningAce's Husband

Shirtless Giver

9,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Critic 0
The Gobbler of Bacon
Saemus
skumskull
User Image

TITS RECORDING OR GTFO

Haha, I saw that and was like *facepalm* "this doesn't deserve a response".

My mom taught me as a child that I was always to thank people whenever they said something nice about me.

As for the whole matter at hand,
I'd rate your voice type as a
"sexy voice type"
cool

Dapper Businessman

I feel like there's a really large concentration of bromance in here.
User Image

6,650 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
i wuv music i like to sing but im terrable

6,650 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
or at least i think im terrible. xp whee burning_eyes
Saemus
skumskull
User Image

TITS RECORDING OR GTFO

Shane, what did I do that caused you to block me?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff