Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm new to music but I went to this website;
http://www.music.vt.edu/musicdictionary/appendix/pitch/pitch.html

I could go as high as Octave (one-line) a1.
And as low as Octave (Great) e

Does this make me a countertenor, tenor, baritone or bass? Or can I do more than one?

Side question - I prefer to sing alternative rock, pop punk type stuff, will I do okay that?

Macareux's Partner In Crime

Ferocious Flautist

51,590 Points
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Just A Regular User 500
  • Forever a Musician 500
This would put you into tenor or baritone (closer to the tenor, though).
I would be careful of sites like this because they do no use common musical terminology that most of us use.

I am not a weed!

User Image
Junai Bokunenjin
I would be careful of sites like this because they do no use common musical terminology that most of us use.

I am not a weed!

User Image

Haha yeah man you know you push that thing it makes that sound that is like, yeah, sing with your stomach, like, your gut because then you can sing proper loud enough and junk so you like sound like the recording and s**t
Junai Bokunenjin

I am not a weed!

User Image

Yea, I'm still trying to figure out what that range would be... I can't even tell from the site listed. Is that E2-A3? Or E3-A4?

Benevolent Gaian

8,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Forget range (well... sort of >.> ) - we need to hear your voice to classify your voice type. Based on range alone, I'd place you as baritone, but we can't accurately type you without hearing you sing.

As for 'will you do okay with alt-rock,' what do you mean? Voice type only has so much to do with what genres you sing. There's plenty of basses, baritones, tenors, contraltos, mezzos, and sopranos in musical theater, pop music, 'classical' music.... etc. What matters is how they use their voices.

Dapper Businessman

User Image

TITS RECORDING OR GTFO
I'm way too new to show anyone anything, f** dat.

Benevolent Gaian

8,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
The Gobbler of Bacon

If you're 'too new' to do anything like that, you're too new to worry about your voice type. If you can't hit it, don't sing it - simple as that. Ask again in a year and provide a recording.
AkaTsuki-chan
The Gobbler of Bacon

If you're 'too new' to do anything like that, you're too new to worry about your voice type. If you can't hit it, don't sing it - simple as that. Ask again in a year and provide a recording.

Isn't the purpose of learning your vocal range to determine what songs you can sing? derp.

I just wanted to get an idea of my vocal range so I could work on it for awhile without wasting my time on songs I can't do. I literally just started and don't feel comfortable showing anyone until I've achieved what I believe to be an acceptable level.

Benevolent Gaian

8,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
The Gobbler of Bacon
AkaTsuki-chan
The Gobbler of Bacon

Isn't the purpose of learning your vocal range to determine what songs you can sing? derp.

I just wanted to get an idea of my vocal range so I could work on it for awhile without wasting my time on songs I can't do. I literally just started and don't feel comfortable showing anyone until I've achieved what I believe to be an acceptable level.

Nope. Voice classifications are determined once/as the voice matures and account for vocal tessitura, weight, timbre and breaks AS WELL AS range. I'm a Lyric Mezzo-Soprano, and it took several years of voice lessons to pinpoint it. That doesn't mean that I'm able to sing every single lyric mezzo role, nor does it mean I am incapable of singing music for other Fachs.

If you know your vocal range, sing things within your range. Derp.

Take a look at the music before you buy/study it. If it goes too high/too low you to sing, don't learn it. If you love it that much, transpose it until it's in a good key for you. The key you have the music in doesn't have to be the key you learn/perform it in. If you have a voice teacher, let him/her play around with your voice. Let THEM figure out your voice type. Deciding 'I'm a tenor!' when you start out can really screw up your voice. I went to school with a guy who came into college as a Baritone, went to Bass, then went to countertenor. Your voice is going to change as you study - whether you've gone through the puberty change already or not.
AkaTsuki-chan
The Gobbler of Bacon
AkaTsuki-chan
The Gobbler of Bacon

Nope. Voice classifications are determined once/as the voice matures and account for vocal tessitura, weight, timbre and breaks AS WELL AS range. I'm a Lyric Mezzo-Soprano, and it took several years of voice lessons to pinpoint it. That doesn't mean that I'm able to sing every single lyric mezzo role, nor does it mean I am incapable of singing music for other Fachs.

Take a look at the music before you buy/study it. If it goes too high/too low you to sing, don't learn it. If you love it that much, transpose it until it's in a good key for you. The key you have the music in doesn't have to be the key you learn/perform it in. If you have a voice teacher, let him/her play around with your voice. Let THEM figure out your voice type. Deciding 'I'm a tenor!' when you start out can really screw up your voice. I went to school with a guy who came into college as a Baritone, went to Bass, then went to countertenor. Your voice is going to change as you study - whether you've gone through the puberty change already or not.

I hope my "derp" didn't come off as offensive, I was just messing around. : P

On what you said, I'm 17 so I'm guessing my voice is for the most part probably not going to get much deeper. I don't have a vocal coach nor can I get one, finding time to even practice is hard in a house of 7 people. I write and draw but recently I began writing poetry and am hoping to make the transition into writing songs and hopefully singing them well. I'm not looking to do it as a career just something I can try to develop over time.

I can try to upload a short clip of my voice singing but I usually sing quietly because 2 of the 5 people in the house are babies and I can't wake them up. Unfortunately, because of this I find it difficult to sing loudly and feel I lose any decency I had while raising my voice. So ya, if me uploading something of me singling quietly will help I'll do it but if it requires me raising my voice I'm afraid I'm outta luck for the time being.

By the way, thank you for being very informative, I've asked similar things on yahoo answers and got no response. >.>

Benevolent Gaian

8,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
The Gobbler of Bacon
AkaTsuki-chan
The Gobbler of Bacon
AkaTsuki-chan
The Gobbler of Bacon

On what you said, I'm 17 so I'm guessing my voice is for the most part probably not going to get much deeper. I don't have a vocal coach nor can I get one, finding time to even practice is hard in a house of 7 people. I write and draw but recently I began writing poetry and am hoping to make the transition into writing songs and hopefully singing them well. I'm not looking to do it as a career just something I can try to develop over time.

I can try to upload a short clip of my voice singing but I usually sing quietly because 2 of the 5 people in the house are babies and I can't wake them up. Unfortunately, because of this I find it difficult to sing loudly and feel I lose any decency I had while raising my voice. So ya, if me uploading something of me singling quietly will help I'll do it but if it requires me raising my voice I'm afraid I'm outta luck for the time being.

By the way, thank you for being very informative, I've asked similar things on yahoo answers and got no response. >.>

As for your voice getting deeper - I wouldn't be so sure of that. Singing does interesting things to the voice. Your singing voice is constantly going to mature as you age. (There are some operatic roles that people shouldn't even consider until they're in their mid 20s or 30s) For example, at 18 I could hit high B's quite clearly with little trouble. At 19, I could barely get G's, at 21 even my F#'s were getting funky, and now at 22 I can get back up to A's. I thought I had lost my G's for good until I had to teach http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCWgYBI70PA to a bunch of teenagers. and had to let out a soaring high G. Totally kicked it's a**. :-p

Ahem. Anyway. Your voice is going to do some weird s**t the more you sing. Just go with it.

I guess inability to get a coach is mostly financial? That sucks. Are you still in high school? You might talk to the music/choir director at your school and see if they can help you out.

Yeah, if you have to sing quietly at home, don't bother recording there - it's just... not going to work. You can actually do some nasty damage to your voice if you intentionally restrict your voice for the sake of volume. Once again, if you can work out some kind of deal with the music teacher at your school, try recording there - where you don't have to worry about being quiet.

Yahoo answers sucks.

Don't worry about the derp. :-p

Invisible Friend

The Gobbler of Bacon

If you feel uncomfortable singing in your house, I would suggest finding a quiet place to take up the hobby. My house is this way too, and I've been singing and practicing for years.
The ideal place is a room with good acoustics (like a bathroom) but garages, the good outdoors, and a variety of other spaces can be utilized for singing purposes. Do you know any people who sing? It's a good idea to consult other musicians for your benefit.
Also, do yourself a favor and learn how to breathe correctly before you start singing. Bad breathing can lead to your voice going out of tune incredibly easily, and vocal strains. How one breathes as a singer is focused around the stomach area. Lie on a flat surface, such as your bed or a floor, then stare at the ceiling. Put your hands on your stomach and really feel your respiratory system expand. When you stand up, put one hand on your stomach and the other on your lower back and breathe to make your stomach expand.
If you breathe incorrectly, you run the risk of injuring your vocal cords, and you can tell that a breath is bad by looking in the mirror. If your shoulders go up as a result of your breath, you are breathing wrong. Just think of your respiratory system like an accordion and you'll get the idea. Also, always warm up before singing. Taking special care to breathe correctly and warm up will ensure that you are singing safely and not hurting your voice.

Benevolent Gaian

8,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Impenetrable Darkness
The Gobbler of Bacon

If you feel uncomfortable singing in your house, I would suggest finding a quiet place to take up the hobby. My house is this way too, and I've been singing and practicing for years.
The ideal place is a room with good acoustics (like a bathroom) but garages, the good outdoors, and a variety of other spaces can be utilized for singing purposes. Do you know any people who sing? It's a good idea to consult other musicians for your benefit.
Also, do yourself a favor and learn how to breathe correctly before you start singing. Bad breathing can lead to your voice going out of tune incredibly easily, and vocal strains. How one breathes as a singer is focused around the stomach area. Lie on a flat surface, such as your bed or a floor, then stare at the ceiling. Put your hands on your stomach and really feel your respiratory system expand. When you stand up, put one hand on your stomach and the other on your lower back and breathe to make your stomach expand.
If you breathe incorrectly, you run the risk of injuring your vocal cords, and you can tell that a breath is bad by looking in the mirror. If your shoulders go up as a result of your breath, you are breathing wrong. Just think of your respiratory system like an accordion and you'll get the idea. Also, always warm up before singing. Taking special care to breathe correctly and warm up will ensure that you are singing safely and not hurting your voice.

heart heart heart heart heart heart heart

You're my new favorite.
AkaTsuki-chan
The Gobbler of Bacon
AkaTsuki-chan
The Gobbler of Bacon
AkaTsuki-chan
The Gobbler of Bacon

As for your voice getting deeper - I wouldn't be so sure of that. Singing does interesting things to the voice. Your singing voice is constantly going to mature as you age. (There are some operatic roles that people shouldn't even consider until they're in their mid 20s or 30s) For example, at 18 I could hit high B's quite clearly with little trouble. At 19, I could barely get G's, at 21 even my F#'s were getting funky, and now at 22 I can get back up to A's. I thought I had lost my G's for good until I had to teach http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCWgYBI70PA to a bunch of teenagers. and had to let out a soaring high G. Totally kicked it's a**. :-p

Ahem. Anyway. Your voice is going to do some weird s**t the more you sing. Just go with it.

I guess inability to get a coach is mostly financial? That sucks. Are you still in high school? You might talk to the music/choir director at your school and see if they can help you out.

Yeah, if you have to sing quietly at home, don't bother recording there - it's just... not going to work. You can actually do some nasty damage to your voice if you intentionally restrict your voice for the sake of volume. Once again, if you can work out some kind of deal with the music teacher at your school, try recording there - where you don't have to worry about being quiet.

Yahoo answers sucks.

Don't worry about the derp. :-p

Yeah, I'm in high school but it seems I'm in a bit out of luck, I've met the music teacher and she's quite...well...to be frank, she's a b***h. Nobody likes her and she seems to be doing it more for the paycheck rather than the love of music. Also, I have sung when everyone was out (in these very, very rare occasions) and my voice just sounds flat and gets awkward/out of tune when I try to raise my voice during the chorus. It doesn't help either that like everyone my voice sounds different to me than it actually is so sometimes when I think I did okay I hit "replay" and it sounds bland.

@Impenetrable: We have 3 bathrooms, one in my parents room, the hallway near my parents room and next to the room of my grandfather who sleeps during the day. I'd be pissing someone off in the bathroom. As for the garage, there is a vent that leads up to the door near my parents room and they would hear me fairly easily. Outside is tough right now, I'm Canadian and its cold as s**t lol.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff