Welcome to Gaia! ::

I know that I will sound like a dumkoff here, but what exactly is pop music? I have heard the phrase used extensively and have listened to many pop songs, yet I have no idea what the music actually is. Is it a certain style, is it anything that is popular at the time, or is it something different?

Why here? I thought that since the experts in music are the muscians themselves, I thought that I could get some good answers here.
jabberwoky
I know that I will sound like a dumkoff here, but what exactly is pop music? I have heard the phrase used extensively and have listened to many pop songs, yet I have no idea what the music actually is. Is it a certain style, is it anything that is popular at the time, or is it something different?

Why here? I thought that since the experts in music are the muscians themselves, I thought that I could get some good answers here.

eek Have you been in a hole you're entire life? Pop music is the popular people's excuse to play all the music they like without having anything to connect them with. Such as, Usher, Evanescence, and Howie Day. It's not really a genre, it's just a collection of music the general public likes. Main stream if you will.

(this post is not meant to insult I swear. I am just so shocked it's hard not to be sarcastic.)
GhettoPhoenix
jabberwoky

eek Have you been in a hole you're entire life? Pop music is the popular people's excuse to play all the music they like without having anything to connect them with. Such as, Usher, Evanescence, and Howie Day. It's not really a genre, it's just a collection of music the general public likes. Main stream if you will.

(this post is not meant to insult I swear. I am just so shocked it's hard not to be sarcastic.)

So the whole picture of pop music is popularity? Okay.
Then would different styles of music in different time periods be considered "pop" for their time?

For example:
Mozart in the Baroque Period?
Beethoven in the Romantic Period?
Gregorian Chants in the Gothic age?
jabberwoky
GhettoPhoenix
jabberwoky

So the whole picture of pop music is popularity? Okay.
Then would different styles of music in different time periods be considered "pop" for their time?

For example:
Mozart in the Baroque Period?
Beethoven in the Romantic Period?
Gregorian Chants in the Gothic age?

Sure. Pop = popular at the time
You will find this to be true in most pop songs:
1.)It will usually have only 1 guitar, maybe a base,a nd a piano and techno.
2.) It will usually be kind of a love song
3.) it won't sound like rock or anyhting else.

Now power pop is more of what you could find in a rock band, bassically it's just good old keyboard rock. with guitars and basses... this is off my expirience with music for the past 5 yrs of my life. LOL

-Buy, or listen to internet radio's. Don't download!
RyoKeen
You will find this to be true in most pop songs:
1.)It will usually have only 1 guitar, maybe a base,a nd a piano and techno.
2.) It will usually be kind of a love song
3.) it won't sound like rock or anyhting else.

Now power pop is more of what you could find in a rock band, bassically it's just good old keyboard rock. with guitars and basses... this is off my expirience with music for the past 5 yrs of my life. LOL

-Buy, or listen to internet radio's. Don't download!

Don't listen. Pop is whatever happens to be popular. That's why it's called POPular.
mostly s**t
Pop=popular

pop music= popular music

popular music= Turn on your fav alt rock station, all that on there, is pop music

Fashionable Conversationalist

14,150 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Elocutionist 200
masterofchains
Pop=popular

pop music= popular music

popular music= Turn on your fav alt rock station, all that on there, is pop music

tune in any station that plays "todays greatest hits" and you'll hear pop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces