Welcome to Gaia! ::

Proxy Autobiographer

7,900 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Lenoil
At this point I plan to double major in Instrumental Music Education and Bassoon performance, perhaps with a minor in chemistry or saxophone performance. I don't want to diverge from music, but my parents are pressuring me with assurances that there are no jobs in music education.

Um... whoa. eek

Education is practically a separate major on its own. I know that my school only let you choose performance (only in your primary instrument), education, or something else, not any combination of them. Usually, music majors start with a core of classes, then specialize on top of that in a single direction. Doing a music major, education, and a minor will probably be more stress than is worth taking on. ^^;

I would urge you to consider choosing two different subjects for major/minor. It gets you away from the music people for a while, and it gives you a chance to pursue another passion at the same time. I was a double major in (general) music and mathematics, and I wouldn't go back on that decision ever.

Don't worry. You'll find plenty to do in music, no matter what you end up doing. whee
xd Where's the brass love?

I play but do not own: Trumpet, French Horn, and Baritone tuba. 3nodding

I'm a bit out of practice, but I started on the trumpet and I still hold a deep passion for playing it. I'm going to try and pick one up at a pawn shop sometime soon. 3nodding

I've also taken a particular interest in learning to play my keyboard but I have a very difficult time learning without some form of teacher. gonk
I wish I could major in music composition. I mean, I can. But... I'm probably not. The opportunities having a degree in it will get you isn't that much. Composing for a movie isn't like "You have a degree in music composition from Juiliard? Cool!", it's more like "This is a really good song. You got the job."... which is why I'm doing a 3/2 in Engineering, more than likely. My mind will get me through life, my music will just fufill my dreams. wink
Have Your Pi
Lenoil
At this point I plan to double major in Instrumental Music Education and Bassoon performance, perhaps with a minor in chemistry or saxophone performance. I don't want to diverge from music, but my parents are pressuring me with assurances that there are no jobs in music education.

Um... whoa. eek

Education is practically a separate major on its own. I know that my school only let you choose performance (only in your primary instrument), education, or something else, not any combination of them. Usually, music majors start with a core of classes, then specialize on top of that in a single direction. Doing a music major, education, and a minor will probably be more stress than is worth taking on. ^^;

I would urge you to consider choosing two different subjects for major/minor. It gets you away from the music people for a while, and it gives you a chance to pursue another passion at the same time. I was a double major in (general) music and mathematics, and I wouldn't go back on that decision ever.

Don't worry. You'll find plenty to do in music, no matter what you end up doing. whee

That's wonderful advice. I'll keep it in mind.

Mostly I'm just spouting off all of the things I want to do. From that perspective I think it to be a pretty narrow list. Mostly I want to be an educator, and those goals are what I think will best aid me in that, regardless of how or whom I may be educating.

Mostly I'm thinking on far too large a scale at this point. I'm going to be a junior in high school next year. My teacher and I haven't hardly begun to discuss this.
Have Your Pi
Lenoil

Um... whoa. eek

I'm curious, how was the major in music/minor in mathematics? I've heard that a music major steals your soul; was it difficult to keep up with both?
i play bass guiatr, upright bass, i sing, i play alto and tenor saxes although i prefer alto, and i have an intrest in learning piano.....

i own a Olympic White fender P Bass but i'm getting a JaZZ Bass of the same color. I use my schools upright bass and i have a Yamaha Alto... it sux lol
I've been playin the viola for 4 years....

User Image
I play teh geetar! Schecter C1 Classic with a Line 6 Spider II amp. Comming up on 5 or 6 years, not sure. I'm majoring in Digital Art and minoring in plain old music.
I play a Korean piano. It's not the greatest, and the sound is still a bit sharp for my taste, but in the years to come, I can tell it will be a great instrument. However, it needs desperate repair because I woke up one day and found that someone had broken it while I was on vacation (yum >< wink Oh well. Music rocks!!!!!!!
I know how to play the piano and the violin...
I've been playing the piano for two years, then I stopped, because I got bored,
and then I moved on to the violin,I've been playing for 5 months I guess,so far so good.
whee
I can play the piano. I've started it since I was elementary, but then I stopped, then I continued it again now~ [I'm in high school now]

I can play a bit of the lyre, and only... 1-3 chords in guitar rofl
i play the eletric guitar. My guitars brand is a black ibanze
ooo and i use to play the trombone XD
FLUTE!! actually id rather play my sax!
i play the piano, but i'd like to play the guitar ^.^

Proxy Autobiographer

7,900 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Wind of Fenrir
I'm curious, how was the major in music/minor in mathematics? I've heard that a music major steals your soul; was it difficult to keep up with both?

Just to be clear, they were both majors. wink

It was slightly easier for me because I started way ahead in terms of my math classes, so that major was pretty much completed in 3 years. In fact, I started with 16 credits from AP tests, which put me pretty much a full semester ahead. So, the double major itself was pretty easy to manage.

Music, as a major, only got bad when I let it take over my life. When I started branching out into new instruments (truth is, I've only been a percussionist for two and a half years), my responsibilities skyrocketed. The program at my school was very small when I started and grew like a weed. For instance, we didn't even have a marching band when I first stepped on campus; my senior year, we had 120 people marching. When it was just choir, it was okay, but when it was choir, concert band, marching band, jazz band, percussion ensemble, AND someone else's senior project... you might lose track of yourself. gonk I got to the point in one semester where I had 6 hours of rehearsal a night for 4 nights a week, not to mention needed to find time to practice outside of that. Boy, was that a major mistake.

You do what you want to do. You make the mistakes you want to make. And, if you lose almost all of your sanity in the process, you take the time you need to recover. xd That's why I'm not even thinking about grad schools right now. I've had my fill of music and need to take some time to live without it before we can get along again. heart

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff