Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wow. There are a lot of passionate people shouting.

Whether for a business or not, you'll improve through practice and experimentation.
Hopefully you enjoy it, so writing will be a way to unwind and enjoy yourself. Practice is almost the wrong word.

If you write often you'll be surprised at how fast you improve. I was anyway.

Listen to music and try to recreate the style.
Try copying and analyzing songs you like, just so you understand them. Then you can make your own easily.

It's good if you can find a friend who also writes music. Its a motivation, and you can learn from each other.

Really though, the important part is that you write whenever you want to, and hopefully you want to a lot.
skumskull

>I'm not getting high and mighty with you
>kid

Hunh. confused
Well, you asked what it takes to be a -good- music artist, and I would differentiate between a good music artist and a successful music artist ('sup Katy Perry). Soooo for that reason I don't think that an understanding of music as a business is necessarily prerequisite to be a good music artist. A successful one, sure. But not everyone is in it for the money, and that's not to be scoffed at.

Anyway, to actually answer the question, I think that it takes some natural talent, but that's a miniscule factor next to the other traits of hard work and passion. I don't think that much else is really required, it just depends on the extent to which you carry out those traits which determines how much you can achieve.

On the other side of the question, to recognise what makes a music artist good, the qualities that I admire in a musician are musicianship (obviously), performance, and a real earnestness to what they do. We can read musicians more than we perhaps realise, and without that humility and earnest feeling behind the music I think there's a barrier between the performer and the listener.

Sparkly Genius

Compose and play to entertain. Whether it's for yourself or for other people.

Innovation helps.

Pumpkin

9,250 Points
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
To be a good musician, you only have to love music and enjoy what you're doing :3
It depends on what your definition of "good music artist" is and the willingness to sell your soul to the devil.

Prophet

hmmm. I don't think you need an understanding of business to be a great artist. You would need it if you were aiming to be a successful one, but anyoen can be great with practice.

Lonely Noob

Have perseverance and most importantly do it for the art not the money mad

Conservative Prophet

Just sell out and do what people like.
Go get em, tiger.

Questionable Heckler

I believe music is like touching ones soul ya digg.

u kn0

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces