Welcome to Gaia! ::

It takes, patience and understanding that this is 90% business. If you have no understanding of business then you may very well fall short as an artist.

What you have to say about this?

Your suggestions and comments are welcome....

Dapper Businessman

It takes talent, practice, luck, and the willingness to drown your morals out with drugs enough to sign away your soul.

Wheezing Genius

I agree with what Skumskull has said, though only the first three.

It takes practice to get any good at all, anybody tells you other wise is trying to sell you something. Hours upon hours of practice.

Talent helps, though I've never felt that I have natural talent. To get to where I am now I had to focus as hard as I could to figure s**t out. Some people are natural musicians, some aren't.

Luck has a factor to do with anything and everything, and it has a huge part in making music. Luck that you found that dirty riff, luck that you found that great deal on an amazing guitar, luck that you find people you can play with and feel connected to.

Those three things have a huge part of becoming a music artist. But unlike you two I don't believe music is a business at all. I just like to play music for myself and for people who enjoy it. The only thing I've made from it is a jug of beer. But in saying that, I ain't gonna say no to cash, I'd be bullshitting you if I said I'd turn down $100,000 dollars.

But hey, you can treat music as a way to make money, or a way to unwind and express yourself.

3,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
  • Hygienic 200
I definitely agree with Skumskull's last comment.
Drugs will help.
This topic pisses me off.

If you are making music solely with the intent of business in mind, YOU ARE MAKING PROPAGANDA. It is no longer art. Financial success has nothing to do with being an artist.

What is art? It is the manifestation of our internal senses into the external world. A reflection of the world through our eyes. When we prostitute out our gift to make a buck, we are making a world through somebody (usually evil) else's eyes.

What does it take to be a true artist?
1) Mind: How well do you know your harmony, melody, counterpoint, serialism, rhythm

2) Body: How are you producing your art. Psychosomatic connections exist, and your body is a major part of how you play. If you sing, this part counts double.

3) Soul: How in touch with your internal existence are you? Can you turn off your external senses and gaze into your subconscious - however it appears to you? I see colors/visions and, of course, compose in my head. An artists worth is NOT in the output, but in the process and in the individual vision.

4) Message: For some of us, message and soul will be very intertwined (as this current society is completely externalized, and we need to spread the joy of the imagination to others). If you do not have a message, shut up. As a musician there is a lot of good we can do, but there is also a lot of evil. If you enter the music industry, look up your sponsors - they are corporations responsible for some of the most prevalent forms of modern-day slavery in the third world. They are fascist corporations driven by profit.

IF YOU ENTER THIS BUSINESS TO MAKE A BUCK, YOU ARE FASCIST.
Where to begin on that topic it does take what skumskull said:
you also need to have a certain target audience or demographic like pop stars go for the glitzysh stuff (well in my opinion)
Rock stars go for party all night
Rappers same but with talking about how hard their life or others are
All in all it takes a certain feel and vibe to give towards others out there to make a song that hits home and doesn't suck and makes no lick SHhhhh sense
suryc yelim (if you can figure out who the artist I just put down don't hate me it's my own personal opinion and no one else so suck a lollipop on it son.)

Shirtless Cutesmasher

10,450 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Angelic Alliance 100
You have to LOVE WHAT YOU DO. If you hate what you do, then why are you even doing it?

Also, there is a big difference between making sounds, noise, if you will.... and making MUSIC.... even with hard rock and dubstep or whatever... =)

Dapper Businessman

Theory-Of-Xerosis
But unlike you two I don't believe music is a business at all.

You don't *BELIEVE* it is a business?
I think what you meant to say is "I dont subscribe to the business aspect currently, as I am a hobbyist."
If you actually don't think music is a business, then you're literally retarded.

Dapper Businessman

TGgold
This topic pisses me off.

If you are making music solely with the intent of business in mind, YOU ARE MAKING PROPAGANDA. It is no longer art. Financial success has nothing to do with being an artist.

What is art? It is the manifestation of our internal senses into the external world. A reflection of the world through our eyes. When we prostitute out our gift to make a buck, we are making a world through somebody (usually evil) else's eyes.

What does it take to be a true artist?
1) Mind: How well do you know your harmony, melody, counterpoint, serialism, rhythm

2) Body: How are you producing your art. Psychosomatic connections exist, and your body is a major part of how you play. If you sing, this part counts double.

3) Soul: How in touch with your internal existence are you? Can you turn off your external senses and gaze into your subconscious - however it appears to you? I see colors/visions and, of course, compose in my head. An artists worth is NOT in the output, but in the process and in the individual vision.

4) Message: For some of us, message and soul will be very intertwined (as this current society is completely externalized, and we need to spread the joy of the imagination to others). If you do not have a message, shut up. As a musician there is a lot of good we can do, but there is also a lot of evil. If you enter the music industry, look up your sponsors - they are corporations responsible for some of the most prevalent forms of modern-day slavery in the third world. They are fascist corporations driven by profit.

IF YOU ENTER THIS BUSINESS TO MAKE A BUCK, YOU ARE FASCIST.

There is a stark difference between making music and getting paid for it, making music you like to get paid, and being a complete commercial slut.

Wheezing Genius

skumskull
Theory-Of-Xerosis

I think what you meant to say is "I dont subscribe to the business aspect currently, as I am a hobbyist."
If you actually don't think music is a business, then you're literally retarded.

Well the question was "What does it take to be a music artist". In my opinion, that would be somebody who makes amazing music to the point where you can call what they create art. Sure there is a whole lot of business to do with music, but music isn't a ******** business, IT IS SOUND. But hey, you're Skumskull and you get paid to make music for people I've never heard about. Nor have I heard of who you are in real life. In fact, all you do is go on Gaiaonline and try to act like an elitest p***k. So you must be totally right about everything to do with music. xD It's hilarious, you're so hardcore.

Dapper Businessman

Theory-Of-Xerosis
skumskull
Theory-Of-Xerosis

Well the question was "What does it take to be a music artist". In my opinion, that would be somebody who makes amazing music to the point where you can call what they create art. Sure there is a whole lot of business to do with music, but music isn't a ******** business, IT IS SOUND. But hey, you're Skumskull and you get paid to make music for people I've never heard about. Nor have I heard of who you are in real life. In fact, all you do is go on Gaiaonline and try to act like an elitest p***k. So you must be totally right about everything to do with music. xD It's hilarious, you're so hardcore.

Sound IS a business. It's an entire industry.
The fact that you own an instrument that you didn't make with your own hands is proof of that.
There are tiers to business, just because you play the music for the ******** of it doesn't mean you aren't a part of the business aspect. You are what we call a "consumer"

I'm not getting high and mighty with you, kid. Just correcting a very naive notion.

So, just because I know my s**t, correct people, and express my opinion on music posted in a forum that a few people I've known for a very long time frequent, I'm now some loser?
I'm not "acting" like anything I'm expressing my opinion, the same as you, as I have every right to do. I'm not going to apologize because I don't tone down my criticism just because some kid might just be starting out or whatever faggoty excuse they use. I don't care. My opinion is my opinion is my opinion. I don't like it when people sugarcoat, I don't like it when people just sit there like "I really like that track, man," I want to hear what I did wrong so I can make it BETTER, and I'm a big fan of the golden rule "treat others as you would have them treat you."

If I am wrong, kick my a** into the ground. PLEASE.
But until then, you're just being a whiny b***h because you either A: can't take criticism or B: are wrong.
All of you have great responses so far... Any more?
I suppose you need luck the most...
A lot of dedication and practice will bring you far, never give up!
Play music because you love it.

Friendly Friend

5,650 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Partygoer 500
TGgold and skumskull are both right in a way. Music is a business, but I believe that if making money is all you care about and you don't even enjoy your job then why be apart of it anyway?
I don't know exactly how to put this into words.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff