Welcome to Gaia! ::

What are the things to consider in buying a bass guitar?
And if ever I want to just practice first, should I just pick up my regular guitar and try bass tabs on it? I saw my guitar teacher doing bass notes using a regular guitar. So yeah, thoughts on these?
Ontgoocheld Ogen
What are the things to consider in buying a bass guitar?
And if ever I want to just practice first, should I just pick up my regular guitar and try bass tabs on it? I saw my guitar teacher doing bass notes using a regular guitar. So yeah, thoughts on these?

You could practice like that, but the thing is that bass strings are huge as ******** and it's not going to help you much when it comes time to play bass. Idr what word I'm looking for atm..it's late. It won't improve your something...only practice on bass will. I think you get what I mean.

Anyway, go play some bass guitars. Take note of the ones you like the sound and feel of. Research the reputation of the companies and how well they play after w/e length of time.

Now, when you go to actually buy your bass, you want to buy the one you play in the store. Well, you don't have to, but it's advised. For the following reasons:
-You could get one that sounds abnormally better than usual
-See above, but replace better with worse
-You want to confirm you enjoy the feel of it. Both sitting and standing.

Just stuff like that really.
I think it is better to practice on a bass but I wouldn't agree with the above statement about buying basses however. Reality is you have to start off somewhere, and you are already playing guitar by the sounds of things, so theoretically you are stronger than most beginner bassists having a bit more of an idea on what sound you like and scales etc. If you are lusting over the idea of picking up a bass then i say check ebay and other trading websites as well as your local music store for good deals on a simple bass and bass amp combo (important to get a bass amp because if you like the idea of slap bass, then you can't use your gat amp) and buy them. The reality is that you won't be the best at bass straight away, buy cheap equipment and play it until your fingers blister and you start to get comfortable with the instrument and what you like to play.

Eventually you will outgrow the standard equipment you have bought, and once you have a better idea of how you like to play and what sort of bass you want, this is when you can have fun and splash out a bit more money finding your ideal bass. Alternatively you may hate the bass and at least you won't have spent thousands getting started. Hope this helped.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff