Welcome to Gaia! ::

do you like jazz?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on April 18, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2

If you insist.

I've actually given up on tuning it. It's a pain in that sense... but still so lovely.
: ) I imagine that you can do that. It'll come eventually, hopefully.
I appreciate your faith in me, but I'll have to shoot you down.
See, the only real way to tune a double descant is to tune EVERY SINGLE NOTE ON EVERY SLIDE. It's incredibly time consuming considering that a slight adjustment in temperature or a tiny mistake can cause you to lose hours of work. As a lovely result of this, hand tuning is by far more convenient.
Indeed. It is this for reason that I get a rather short fuse when strings other non-finicky instrument players complain about tuning their instruments.
sax and 'net arent' too bad. Only thing about clarinet is having to know which segment to pull. I still don't really know which one, I need someone to tell me.

Flute is odd, because you need to hold it at the same angle consistantly, or your intonation will change. That and all the other intonation peculiarities

Worst part about flute though, is the damn crown. You probably don't know this, but there's a cork inside a flute. When you blow in at the top, the side opposite the body, that end has the crown.

You take the headjoint off, and use your cleaning rod to do some tuning before you start playing. Basically, the little line on the rod should line up halfway through the "blow hole" whne you stick the rod in. If not, unscrew the cap, then push or pull until the line is in the middle.

Then you stick the headjoint back on. However, you headjoint might be at a different angle from when you removed it to tune, so that'll also make a difference.

And the crown on my flute is pretty loose. She undoes herself, and then the cork starts sliding... so my intonation gets off.

But besides that, you can just tilt the flute a little while playing, or if you have a french flute, you can move your fingers on the holes to correct yourself.

: ) Still, none of that sounds like it can compare to horn, huh?
Ouch. Flute sounds like a pain. You have to do this every time?

Well, I only tune my horn one every two months, which will have to be abridged to once every three/four due to the fact that it puts me in an awful mood, takes me all day and destroys my lip. I usually take the dumbass way out though: tune the concert F for band and fix the rest with my hand and lips while playing.
Well, i should, but I don't

And I only have to do so much, because my crown is loose.
Ash Rail
sax and 'net arent' too bad. Only thing about clarinet is having to know which segment to pull. I still don't really know which one, I need someone to tell me.
You use not the VERY top piece (the mouthpiece) but you use the one after that. The second shorterest piece of the clarinet. You know, the one that comes right below the mouthpiece that has no fingerings on it. You pull that one apart from the top fingering piece to make it more flat or you push it more in to make it more sharp. Or at least that is what I find most affective. Although you have to be careful to make sure you have a really good cork on it do so otherwise as you play it'll push back in. I'm having that trouble on my clarinet at the moment. sweatdrop
Well I know to pull the barrel, not the mp ^^:

I just don't know when to pull the barrel or the top joint.

Once, I guess i even had to pull the bell...
At least, that's what this one lady had me do.
Wow, I suck at quoting.. (can anybody tell me how to really do that?? heh sweatdrop ) Anyways, you pull the barrell for basic tuning and the top joint for more like fine tuning. I think pulling the top joint has to do more with your tone than actual tuning because people can have different throat tones and that's how you adjust it. Or, that's at least what I've gotten out of it.
Aw, throat tones! : D

Thank you, that helps a lot, really : )

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas