Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm a little shy about singing which is why I was like, NOOOO when my teacher suggested vocal lessons because then I wouldn't have to get another instrument.

I can't argue with you on one thing though!
THE HARP MAKES PRETTY SOUNDS AA * o *
Is it hard to learn?

Here's what I found on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqLwz-Csa88

Desirable Noob

10,925 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Go with your choice of flute. It's best to try to go away from a different instrument type so u can get a feel for a wider arrange of instruments. I mean, if u play a brass instrument and change to another brass instrument, yes it is different tone and style but u know how to play it with the same form. Same with a saxophone and clarinet, both use the same way to produce sound.
Keyboard is definitely beneficial. It helps you with a lot of other skills.

Benevolent Gaian

8,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
ruciia
          As the title says. ;w; I've been playing the violin since I was seven and I am currently thinking about picking up another instrument. My violin teacher first suggested it ever since I told her I was thinking of becoming a music major.

I realize that picking up the piano would be the wisest choice but unfortunately I don't have enough space in my house to get a piano D: also it's pretty expensive adsfadsf

Should I get a keyboard then? :c
          I was also thinking about the flute or the viola.

Which would work the best / easiest for me?

Viola would be a pretty easy transition for you. In my opinion, the viola is kind of the redheaded stepchild of the orchestral family though - I'd rather go with cello.

If you're considering becoming a music major, piano really is the way to go - but you'll probably be taking piano courses anyway as a requirement for your degree. Getting a keyboard without weighted keys would be pretty useless (you might as well get a 40 dollar violin) but the higher quality ones have a higher price to match; as with any kind of instrument.

I'm partial to flute because I already play it, but it's a very different animal from the violin. Weird fingering and embouchure aside, the breathing is another layer of things to manage. It's a very fun instrument though.

What kind of degree are you considering pursuing?

4,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
DRUMS. I really want to learn how to play the drums. But I've got to advocate for the piano. It's my first love.

Devoted Friend

8,400 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Millionaire 200
I, too, would recommend trying a guitar. I play acoustic, and I've had the one I've got since I was a kid, but didn't actually take an interest in playing until just about a year or so ago. I've taught myself to play quite a few songs, and I've even come up with a catchy little tune that I can't do anything with cause I don't write music. I also play harmonica, and if you don't want to sing, the harmonica is one way to avoid singing. I will warn you, though, that harmonicas take a lot of air to play.

Friendly Noob

6,025 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
Do you want something related to the violin or totally different?

You could go for a Celo or a really sexy sexy Double Bass

There are other kindda related and "easy" for learning 2 diciplines at the same time, like the guitar....

Or you can go full make over and grab a AMAZING SOUND MACHINE! trumpet.... or even a trombone.... or sax

If it's an space matter try a harmonica, it's small, portable and has a unique sound smile

iMcFly's Oppa

Jordamn

That's true.
Mmm.
After some consideration, I think I'm going to pick up the flute ;w; Thank you very very much for your input though!

Genius

You can get a old used upright piano for like $300, and uprights don't take up much space.

Keyboards aren't quite the same. When I sit at a piano, it just drives me to want to play better. I don't feel that with a keyboard. That is, unless you're using a keyboard as a keyboard and aiming for like MIDI synth stuff, then that's pretty cool.

Viola and also cello would be easier for you and useful as a string player. If I could find four people who played all three, I would be seeing them in the studio a LOT. However, if you're goal is to diversify your skills, going from violin to viola doesn't look as impressive.

iMcFly's Oppa

@auro ; I see, I see. Is it fun to play? o w o

@Back In Gehenna; o; I was actually thinking of electric guitar a few months ago.
Guitar, because if you can play violin, any other other string instrument (except maybe pedal steel) should be relatively easy.
VIOLA !!!!!!!! since its really close to the violin it should be just like playing violin but u have a C string plus u wont have to adjust to a bigger size instrument because violas come in the same sizes as violins (you'd be looking at a 14 inch for same size) plus u wouldn't need to buy all the accessories such as rosin and shoulder rests and if you wanted you could even get a 5 string violin that has the strings of a violin and a viola in one instrument so u wont need to switch between the two which would be handy if u ever became a teacher because u could show violins, voilas, and cellos how to do something all in one instrument. I play the viola and can switch to violin in 2 seconds because its so similar so i know how easy it'd be. Plus ur viola would take up as much space as ur violin.

iMcFly's Oppa

SieberSounds

;ww; I'm a little shy about singing which is why I was like, NOOOO when my teacher suggested vocal lessons because then I wouldn't have to get another instrument.

I can't argue with you on one thing though!
        THE HARP MAKES PRETTY SOUNDS AA * o *
        Is it hard to learn?

Cat

12,550 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
A Harp.
But I'm a little biased.
You could get a little lever harp for under 1k though. Really nice if you like singing as well.

iMcFly's Oppa

As the title says. ;w; I've been playing the violin since I was seven and I am currently thinking about picking up another instrument. My violin teacher first suggested it ever since I told her I was thinking of becoming a music major.

I realize that picking up the piano would be the wisest choice but unfortunately I don't have enough space in my house to get a piano D: also it's pretty expensive adsfadsf

Should I get a keyboard then? :c
          I was also thinking about the flute or the viola.

Which would work the best / easiest for me?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff