Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cultist

You see, I've been playing guitar for just over two years now and am quite proficient at it, BUT
I never really learned to play, y'know.. I never learned the basics.
I know several songs and chords and all, yet have (mostly) no idea the names of the chords, etc.
But I do understand flat and sharp chords. And a little bit of how the scale goes - but only when I've got my guitar in front of me. And well... not really that even.

I have little to no idea how to read music (I did start learning a bit for piano, that's how I "know" the scale), I don't know timing because I don't tap my foot (though I do play in time... usually), and well for not knowing what chords are what I pretty much just listen. I mean like with barre chords, I don't usually know which is which down on the neck. First ones, I've sort of got it, then I get lost.

My uncle plays guitar and so does my cousin/aunt (a bit complicated, don't ask) and if they come back to the state and I get to play with them I don't really want to be lost when they start playing things and trying to show me how to play them, telling me stuff I don't know. I'll just get confused. We'd be there all day tryna tell me feckin' "G major neutral zero" or somethin' and I wouldn't have a clue. Like, is it that one there or is that the "turnip" chord or whatever? Hehe

Question is: should I really try and learn this stuff, like go back and do it all over again, or is it all that important? Because more than likely I'll just get a little confused.. About as confused as if I don't know it, tbh. Or should I just keep going like I've been thus far and try and catch on?

I'm not entirely sure what I'm trying to say here but if you understand, pls advise. I'm an indecisive asshoel and need a bit of encouragement one way or the otha.

Thanks, son
McDuckling
You see, I've been playing guitar for just over two years now and am quite proficient at it, BUT
I never really learned to play, y'know.. I never learned the basics.
I know several songs and chords and all, yet have (mostly) no idea the names of the chords, etc.
But I do understand flat and sharp chords. And a little bit of how the scale goes - but only when I've got my guitar in front of me. And well... not really that even.

I have little to no idea how to read music (I did start learning a bit for piano, that's how I "know" the scale), I don't know timing because I don't tap my foot (though I do play in time... usually), and well for not knowing what chords are what I pretty much just listen. I mean like with barre chords, I don't usually know which is which down on the neck. First ones, I've sort of got it, then I get lost.

My uncle plays guitar and so does my cousin/aunt (a bit complicated, don't ask) and if they come back to the state and I get to play with them I don't really want to be lost when they start playing things and trying to show me how to play them, telling me stuff I don't know. I'll just get confused. We'd be there all day tryna tell me feckin' "G major neutral zero" or somethin' and I wouldn't have a clue. Like, is it that one there or is that the "turnip" chord or whatever? Hehe

Question is: should I really try and learn this stuff, like go back and do it all over again, or is it all that important? Because more than likely I'll just get a little confused.. About as confused as if I don't know it, tbh. Or should I just keep going like I've been thus far and try and catch on?

I'm not entirely sure what I'm trying to say here but if you understand, pls advise. I'm an indecisive asshoel and need a bit of encouragement one way or the otha.

Thanks, son
I was on the same boat. I never learned scales and chords. I just learned off of tablature and kept moving up the songs I learned in difficulty. But from learning so many songs, I got a grasp of how the songs went. As in how to match all the different parts. But if I were you, I'd learn scales and everything else now before you get too far into it. It'll be essential.

Heart Explorer

I would also advise learning scales, the fretboard and most importantly, how chords are constructed. What makes a chord what it is, why it's called what it is, etc.
That's one of the larger problems people seem to run into with guitar, they just learn shapes which, is fine but, it's a, "teach a man to fish", sort of situation. If you really want to start playing with others and even create music yourself, you would be doing yourself a disservice not learning these things.
That doesn't necessarily mean you have to back pedal though, simply try and develop what you already know. The learning curve can be hard, you may very well get confused but, once you get over the initial hump you'll eventually start thinking, "Wow, I can't believe I ever had trouble with this". Just keep at it and go at your own pace.

TORO Y MOl's Husband

Hygienic Streaker

8,500 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Hygienic 200
Pretty much what the last two posters have said are true.
As far as your question, the thing about music theory is it's up to you to decide how much of it you want to learn. Say if you never plan to actually read sheet music then there's little reason for you to learn how to read it, although you've already learned how to do it on piano which should translate well. If you want to it wouldn't hurt to learn though.

Essentially you would want to know what something's called and why though, the basics yeah. You should start now so you can fully benefit from it. Scales are important especially for improvising.

Classical Guitarists read a lot of sheet music though so if you're into that then that would be a good idea.

Friendly Friend

What road do I take?
"Where do you want to go?"
I don't know.
"Then, it really doesn't matter, does it?"

If it gives you some encouragement, once you get these techniques (necessities) down pat, playing the guitar becomes SUUUUUPPPEEEEERRRR easy. Like, you don't even know. It's just the fear of "jumping in the pool" to borrow the colloquialism. My sister's been in the same boat. Been on and off with her little parlour guitar, but once she honed on with rhythm and chords, everything got easy for her. I feel like once you get into the habit of it, it just becomes second-nature.

That being said, a really super easy trick I tell my friends who wanna pick up and play is to try and practice your "chord alphabet," which is basically you playing each chord individually from A to G, and then back down. It doesn't have to be in time, in tune, and it doesn't have to sound great. What matters most is the memorization in this exercise. Once you got that down, you can then add rhythms and stuff.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the way you got to learn your instrument, though. From what I can grasp from your knowledge with the guitar, it seems that you've been learning by ear(?). This in itself is good understanding, and sooooo crucial, as it gives YOURSELF your own tips and ways to learn theory. You know your instrument, and your music. I applaud you.

And trust me, once you merge the knowledge of guitar, with your own 'instinctive' playing, it'll just get a helluva lot more easier from there 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff