Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Fatcat

9,175 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
My D and B strings are being screwy. On the D, almost anything above a 12th fret will sound like I'm playing a 22nd fret on that string. And the B will do the same, except only when I'm tapping 18th fret and up.
My guitar is pretty crap, but It's never had this problem before, it does it on and off the amp. I'm using a Johnson Strat (Dunno what model, it was a hand-me down) with Ernie ball Regular slinky strings (26 D, 13 B)
Does anyone have any tips to help me fix this?

Generous Tipper

8,950 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Streaker 200
  • Tycoon 200
Overly Epux

You may need your nut replaced.
Go to a guitar shop (your local Guitar Center maybe) and get a free evaluation. They'll let you know what's funky and what needs fixed.

Until then, just don't go up that high on your fretboard.

Zeus Botnet's Waifu

Profitable Prophet

6,575 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Yanii Marie
Overly Epux

Go to a guitar shop (your local Guitar Center maybe) and get a free evaluation. They'll let you know what's funky and what needs fixed.

I second this as a useful and professional comment.

Dapper Fatcat

9,175 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Yanii Marie
Overly Epux

Thanks.
When I first read the first line I was like "OH LOOK A TROLL" But I'm guessing it's got something to do with a part on the bridge/head right? I'm taking it in to my Music teacher on monday, he's a pretty good

Generous Tipper

8,950 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Streaker 200
  • Tycoon 200
OverIy Epux

Thanks.
When I first read the first line I was like "OH LOOK A TROLL" But I'm guessing it's got something to do with a part on the bridge/head right? I'm taking it in to my Music teacher on monday, he's a pretty good

xD Yeah, I knew I'd sound troll-ish. The nut is the thing right before your fretboard that the strings lay in, on the neck of the guitar.
Only reason that's my first guess is because mine was damaged and made my G-String (another unintentional pun) buzz whenever I played it open. Luckily the nut's one of the easiest things to replace, besides the strings.
and if replacing the nut doesnt work you may want to check if your neck is warped or if the frets are worn down

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff