Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hi, I'm looking to get experience in composing, whether it's for television or film and games. I just want to know, where the hell do you start? How did you get your foot into the door? Most student films and music libraries want someone with experience and sadly, I don't and it frustrates me. So how did you get started? Also, it may be unrelated but do most of you use live instruments for your instrumentals or a daw? Additional information of the music composing business side of things is also greatly appreciated smile
I think a good way to try and get noticed is to first just put some compositions out there.
If you can't collaborate on any specific projects yet, then you just have to write some stand alone music. Or perhaps compose new music for existing scenes from movies, tv shows, etc.
The point is get some material to showcase.

Once you have that it's easier to get an initial collaboration going.
And a good place to start is definitely with those student film type things.
Try and find collaborations with others that are looking to showcase their work. Networking is vital.

Have you formally studied composition? Because I'm sure there'd be some good info in those circles.

The decision between live instruments or using a daw sort of depends on what sound you're going for. You just sort of have to decide what sounds better.
Lots of people just use a bit of both if they can't get the sounds they want from their daw. Obviously it's a bit less hassle without live instruments, but often not as good.
the mabel

I'm doing a songwriting course that completely focuses on commercial music but I'm trying my best to learn on my own for film scoring, which may take me a long time but better than doing nothing I guess.What I noticed when looking for projects for gaining experience was the competition, oh my buddha. I knew it'd be competitive but to be honest I was quite overwhelmed by the amount of responses a student director gets when they're looking for a composer for their projects. Get's kind of discouraging but I just gotta keep pushing and hope for the best.
askbach

Ohhhh yeah there is unbelievable amounts of competition.
That's where networking comes in real handy. If you can just meet some people on a social level that might collaborate with you then you have a big leg up.
People are more likely to work with people they know.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff