Welcome to Gaia! ::

Deadly Phantom

11,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Super Tipsy 200
I would like to pick up and learn the Viola a bit more, but I don't own one. I was wondering if anyone could give me insight on how much they are, what kinds to get, the different sizes, and where/how is the best way to start learning? I've had some practice on my sister's violin, but it's a smaller one, and a rental. I'm already familiar with string instruments, I've been playing lead electric guitar for about 6 years now, so my fingers are used to the feel.

I'm renting a Violin in the next 2 weeks, I called the music shop and told them I wanted to rent one, they said it's gonna be $22 a month, and they got good ones for rent, better than the ones they got for sale, but they were out of stock, so they said they'd special order one that will be here in 1 to 2 weeks.

Can anyone give me some advice on starting out? Can anyone explain to me about the instrument itself? Like, the sliding thing I don't even know what that's called, but I practice on my sister's mini violin sometime. How much are string replacements? Are different types better for harmonic sounds, like orchestras, or are there certain types better suited for solo lead. Things like that.

7,250 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Well, for starters, you probably don't want to buy a viola/violin until you KNOW you want to play that instrument. It's harder to sell them.
So, you probably want to rent a 4/4 viola/violin.
They're pretty cheap, and the viola's really easy to pick up.
It doesn't really matter for beginners, which type to get.
But it's completely different than playing the electric guitar. There aren't frets on a violin, and you're yanked around a different way.
Hope I helped ^^

Deadly Phantom

11,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Super Tipsy 200
xXNoriPrimXx
Well, for starters, you probably don't want to buy a viola/violin until you KNOW you want to play that instrument. It's harder to sell them.
But it's completely different than playing the electric guitar. There aren't frets on a violin, and you're yanked around a different way.
Hope I helped ^^

The only thing I'm not sure about, is choosing between the two, I want the low sound of the Viola, but I also want to do lead-work, like I do on guitar, but the Viola is commonly a background sound, so if I could pick up both I would but this is american economy and I'm not exactly in the high class. What's a 4/4? And I know it's different guitar, I just felt the need to get out of the way my flexibility and familiarity with string instruments, in case you recommended getting calis or something.

7,250 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
klebold
xXNoriPrimXx
Hope I helped ^^

The only thing I'm not sure about, is choosing between the two, I want the low sound of the Viola, but I also want to do lead-work, like I do on guitar, but the Viola is commonly a background sound, so if I could pick up both I would but this is american economy and I'm not exactly in the high class. What's a 4/4? And I know it's different guitar, I just felt the need to get out of the way my flexibility and familiarity with string instruments, in case you recommended getting calis or something.

Well, I'm a violinist, and I <3 it. I detest being in the background of a piece. If I were you, I'd pick the violin. And also, if you really want to play the viola later, it's an easy transition. Also, 4/4 means it's full size. there's anywhere from 4/4 to 1/8 depending on your size. I'm 5"4 and I'm in a full size.

Deadly Phantom

11,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Super Tipsy 200
xXNoriPrimXx
klebold
xXNoriPrimXx
Hope I helped ^^

Well, I'm a violinist, and I <3 it. I detest being in the background of a piece. If I were you, I'd pick the violin. And also, if you really want to play the viola later, it's an easy transition. Also, 4/4 means it's full size. there's anywhere from 4/4 to 1/8 depending on your size. I'm 5"4 and I'm in a full size.

Hmm, I'll ask my little sister what size her's is, because I know it's smaller, since she's only 10 and in elementary school. I tend to use everything regular size, instruments, vehicles, pool tables, clothes, tv preferences, so basically if 4/4 is the norm then yeah, and that's my height too.

Covering other songs is not my main purpose for picking up this beautiful string instrument, but definitely something I'd like to do, and one song I have in mind is christmas canon and I'm in love with the lead role since I also play it on guitar lead too, so if Violin would be a better choice of instrument for me, then I might take up that first (not instead).

7,250 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
klebold
xXNoriPrimXx
klebold
xXNoriPrimXx
Hope I helped ^^

Hmm, I'll ask my little sister what size her's is, because I know it's smaller, since she's only 10 and in elementary school. I tend to use everything regular size, instruments, vehicles, pool tables, clothes, tv preferences, so basically if 4/4 is the norm then yeah, and that's my height too.

Covering other songs is not my main purpose for picking up this beautiful string instrument, but definitely something I'd like to do, and one song I have in mind is christmas canon and I'm in love with the lead role since I also play it on guitar lead too, so if Violin would be a better choice of instrument for me, then I might take up that first (not instead).

Oh. I know this. That's Canon in D. At least the orchestral part. It's pretty easy.

Deadly Phantom

11,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Super Tipsy 200
xXNoriPrimXx
klebold
xXNoriPrimXx
klebold
xXNoriPrimXx
Hope I helped ^^

Oh. I know this. That's Canon in D. At least the orchestral part. It's pretty easy.

You see... I don't even know what "D" means, when you say "in D". I think I'd need to learn sheet music. There's a beautiful piece that starts at 2:33 of this orchestra that I was wondering what instruments took lead role in that too.

7,250 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Well, can you read music? That is pretty vital. "In D" Means in D major, with two sharps in the key signature.

Deadly Phantom

11,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Super Tipsy 200
xXNoriPrimXx
Well, can you read music? That is pretty vital. "In D" Means in D major, with two sharps in the key signature.

Nope, no idea what that means.

7,250 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
klebold
xXNoriPrimXx

Nope, no idea what that means.

Well. That's going to be a problem. It's important to read music nowadays when you play a string instrument (Know the note names, figure out which finger goes where)
I just bought a violin a little less than a month ago for $150 (which, considering all the extra stuff I got with it, was a fantastic deal). It plays well, even though I don't yet. whee It's a fun instrument, especially if you like to experiment, since picking out tunes is awesomely easy on it. Should you decide to purchase one, I hope you enjoy it!

Deadly Phantom

11,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Super Tipsy 200
On the topic of what kind, how would I get one of those best suited for orchestras? All the violins I've played (which aren't many) have sounded scratchy and pitchy, kinda "flat". Sometimes I watch solo work by people and theirs sounds nice.
The violin is ...in my opinion, much more difficult than the viola.

& the peices are far more intricate and delicate sounding.

(played for 8 years)

Deadly Phantom

11,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Super Tipsy 200
enamors

(played for 8 years)

I enjoy playing the lead role though, even though I like the sound of the Viola more. Why do all the ones I play (violin) sound so pichy and scratchy?
klebold
enamors

(played for 8 years)

I enjoy playing the lead role though, even though I like the sound of the Viola more. Why do all the ones I play (violin) sound so pichy and scratchy?

I assure you,

it's the expirience level of the player, and NOT the violin itself.

Tone quality is a whole other skill in its own right.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff