Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hygienic Ladykiller

1,350 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Hygienic 200
So I'm studying to be an opera singer and I'm currently working at a restaurant called Romano's Macaroni Grill--where I get to sing!
If you wanna help me out by voting that would be awesome! I'm currently 15th in the nation!
Opera Sing Off

Anyone else competing or working on auditions?
Not anymore!

I went to one of these in Victoria, BC. (I was kind of hoping it was you. xP) I thought a "macaroni grill" was a very odd... thing.

What's the prize? Notoriety?

Hygienic Ladykiller

1,350 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Hygienic 200
Babd
Not anymore!

I went to one of these in Victoria, BC. (I was kind of hoping it was you. xP) I thought a "macaroni grill" was a very odd... thing.

There are a few small prizes which I would defiantly be okay with winning. The big prize is you get flown out to Dallas to compete for $25,000. That's the top three in each region. I'm 8th in my region right now and 15th in the nation.
hhjelle
Babd
Not anymore!

There are a few small prizes which I would defiantly be okay with winning. The big prize is you get flown out to Dallas to compete for $25,000. That's the top three in each region. I'm 8th in my region right now and 15th in the nation.

Go, you! Go, you! Go, you! biggrin

Hygienic Ladykiller

1,350 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Hygienic 200
Babd
hhjelle
Babd
Not anymore!

Go, you! Go, you! Go, you! biggrin

Thank you! What kinda music do you do?

Sexy of Hearts

72,925 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Love Machine 150
hhjelle
So I'm studying to be an opera singer and I'm currently working at a restaurant called Romano's Macaroni Grill--where I get to sing!
If you wanna help me out by voting that would be awesome! I'm currently 15th in the nation!
Opera Sing Off

So if you're 8th in your region and 15th in the nation, that means your region has 8 of the 15 top singers. That's a pretty talented region!

Hygienic Ladykiller

1,350 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Hygienic 200
Pirate Santa
hhjelle
Opera Sing Off

So if you're 8th in your region and 15th in the nation, that means your region has 8 of the 15 top singers. That's a pretty talented region!

Yes! Or just a lot of people trolling for votes. I need all the help I can get to catch up. Some of these singers have thousands of votes.

Bashful Vampire

11,500 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Advent Attendee 50
  • Object of Affection 150
hhjelle
Opera Sing Off

voted

Hygienic Ladykiller

1,350 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Hygienic 200
Mustang-Kitty90
hhjelle
Opera Sing Off

voted

Thanks!
hhjelle

My thing is singing, but as an ed major, I've learned a slew of other instruments. Found out I'm pretty good at trombone, in the process! (Can you tell I'm ridiculously proud of this? xP)

Hygienic Ladykiller

1,350 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Hygienic 200
Babd
hhjelle

My thing is singing, but as an ed major, I've learned a slew of other instruments. Found out I'm pretty good at trombone, in the process! (Can you tell I'm ridiculously proud of this? xP)

You should be proud!! I wish I could play multiple instruments!
hhjelle
Babd
hhjelle

It's all about finding the right one. I spent my whole life thinking I was instrumentally challenged, then I found out I had to "learn" ten different instruments, plus percussion in order to do education. Even though I can't do lip trills, I can buzz into a mouth piece. Try everything that comes your way, and you'll find something you enjoy!

The trombone sometimes feels like cheating, since so much of it relies on your ear -- something you get used to, as a singer. But dammit, I can play it! heart

Hygienic Ladykiller

1,350 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Hygienic 200
Babd
hhjelle
Babd
hhjelle

It's all about finding the right one. I spent my whole life thinking I was instrumentally challenged, then I found out I had to "learn" ten different instruments, plus percussion in order to do education. Even though I can't do lip trills, I can buzz into a mouth piece. Try everything that comes your way, and you'll find something you enjoy!

The trombone sometimes feels like cheating, since so much of it relies on your ear -- something you get used to, as a singer. But dammit, I can play it! heart

You would actually be surprised at how much I've been told by instructors not to listen to myself when I sing. I have always been impressed by trombonists. How do you know where to stop when you're sliding the bar out and back? Forgive me, I'm sure it's not called a bar.
hhjelle
You would actually be surprised at how much I've been told by instructors not to listen to myself when I sing. I have always been impressed by trombonists. How do you know where to stop when you're sliding the bar out and back? Forgive me, I'm sure it's not called a bar.

Huh. That's... backwards. My teacher kept getting frustrated with me for practicing with headphones, because you can't hear yourself properly.

Close! It's just a slide, and the bar across the middle where you hold it doesn't really have a name. There are 7 positions, and you learn them based on approximate visual cues. It's a bit difficult, since you're looking down the slide and depth perception gets fuzzier the farther out you go, but you also feel it in your arm. (At least, that's how I was teaching kids the difference between fifth and sixth positions, since those are way past the bell, and they were getting it with consistent success.)

Then you fine tune with your ear, not your embouchure -- that makes your face tired really fast, and it's hard to maintain constant tone.

For me, it came down to the feel in my elbow, after learning the general visual cues. It helps if you know the harmonic series, as well, since each position can reach several notes, based on embouchure and airspeed.

The neatest trick I learned? How to keep yourself from mashing the bloody thing into your face every time you're racing from a position back to closed (or first position). You just bend one of your left fingers a tiny bit so your right thumb contacts it before the slide hits the end of the line, and it's your very own suspension rig! That, and the instrument isn't built to be in-tune when the slide of all the way in, but that wasn't something I learned until my class, last term.

Witty Lunatic

12,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Invisibility 100
Voted for you. You are very talented ^^

Wish you the best (:

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash