Welcome to Gaia! ::

Proxy Raider

8,050 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
~GRYFFINDOR~

Hey there, musically-inclined Gaians!! I just began playing the guitar, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips, advice, or pretty much anything helpful that they would be so kind as to share with me!

Many thanks!

~PRIDE~

Proxy Raider

8,050 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
~GRYFFINDOR~

Bump

~PRIDE~
A moment, a love, a dream, a laugh

When you get to the point where you start finger pick, get fluent with using 2 fingers instead of 3. Start with the thumb and index finger to finger pick, then move on to thumb and middle finger to finger pick. Reason being is because if your doing a song with finger picking and flat picking (and if you hate cross picking like me) hold your guitar pick with your index finger against your palm and leave your middle finger and your thumb to do the picking. But in some cases, for example stop this train by john mayer, you would need to use all three fingers. I hope this made sense for english isn't my first language.
A kiss, a cry, our rights, our wrongs

6,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
how does one "hate crosspick"ing?
A moment, a love, a dream, a laugh

Wow, why did I say cross pick? I meant strumming chords without a pick. Cross pick is totally different, my apologies.

A kiss, a cry, our rights, our wrongs

6,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Popular Thread 100
ohh. that makes sense. Most of the stuff i finger picking doesn't include chords because i lose alot of control and attack when i just swip it with my fingers.

Wheezing Genius

Well I'd say the best way to get started strong is to learn the following Open Chords. Figure out those chords then play around with changing from one to the other. Learn to change chords smoothly with ALOT of practice, and it will help a whole bunch. That's the best place to start in my opinion to start getting better at the guitar quick. Also youtube guitar lessons, as there are a whole bunch of instructional videos that will help you a whole lot.

Good luck!!

Quotable Lunatic

Theory-Of-Xerosis
Well I'd say the best way to get started strong is to learn the following Open Chords. Figure out those chords then play around with changing from one to the other. Learn to change chords smoothly with ALOT of practice, and it will help a whole bunch. That's the best place to start in my opinion to start getting better at the guitar quick. Also youtube guitar lessons, as there are a whole bunch of instructional videos that will help you a whole lot.

Good luck!!

Yeah what he said lol

Start slow and work your way up.
Set goals for yourself, and keep track of your progress.
Organized practice will help you become better much more quickly in the long run.
Keep in mind the difference between practice and playing. If you're going to practice, do so. But stay focused on it. Thus why I mentioned organization.
And remember also that practicing for 5 mins a day is a lot more productive than practicing for 3 hours in one day twice a week.

Conclusion:
1. Keep record of your progress and what you're practicing (a schedule, in other words)
2. Challenge yourself, but work towards your goals slowly and efficiently
3. Don't neglect your scale studies.
4. The metronome is your friend. Never neglect it.
5. Do what YOU like to do. Other peoples' taste in music isn't YOUR taste in music.
6. Always, always enjoy what you do.

Have fun smile
Post Rock
ohh. that makes sense. Most of the stuff i finger picking doesn't include chords because i lose alot of control and attack when i just swip it with my fingers.

thats why i roll my chords when fingerpicking
When you find a bassist, show respect and try to ask him if you could play some songs with him. You'll learn a lot of things by yourself which are hard and maybe impossible to explain.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff