Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Friend

o: kay, so I've been singing for awhile now, but ever since my voice has gotten deeper, and scratchy, so has my singing voice, and every time i sing high enough, they'd get gritty... Not saying that that's a bad thing, and it doesn't really hurt my voice... Just wondering if there's a way i can sing clean vocals again, as i feel that i get more control over my voice when i do (i could just be paranoid that i can't sing clean, and therefore think that way, but yeah . w .'' )

Any help would be greatly appreciated~! ^ o ^

Ice-Cold Kitten

Noir VII

Are you using your diaphragm?? Also, generous amounts of tea and honey might help gradually improve your voice here and there.

I tend to like gritty voices though. :v

Friendly Friend

Cenara Blackheart

Hmm... Now that I think of it, it's a mixture of my diaphragm and my throat... I can never get the hang of using my diaphragm xD

And just how generous are we talking here~? Cuz I can always make room for tea. Oh, and is there any special tea that could help me? or anything Recommended?

Ty for the compliment c:
I like gritty voices too, it's just harder to differentiate the notes and stuff > w< or maybe i'm just complaining ^^''

Ice-Cold Kitten

Noir VII

Oh that's easy~! Here are some steps you could try in helping to open up your throat and use your diaphragm :

1). Breathe in as deeply as you can and push your stomach out as far as possible while doing so, then exhale and pull your stomach back in. Make sure your shoulders don't move. [ This is breathing through your diaphragm ]

2). Take a deep breath from your diaphragm and while exhaling, count as high as possible, clearly and evenly. This builds power into your diaphragm so that you can get used to using it. Also you can belt and such, which is really fun but really risky. c:

3). Do some jaw exercises. It may look a bit silly but it helps your pronunciation, pitch and keeping an open throat. So for example when you're talking try to make it over-exaggerated. c:

Also you can pretend like you have a ball in your throat that's forcing it to remain open, breathe from your diaphragm and sing several notes this way. It won't sound pretty at first, trust me, but if you practice enough, you'll be singing pretty in no time~

As for tea, I'd chose herbal or green. Don't sweeten it with sugar or put lemon in it. Sugar will only contribute to the grit and citrus acids don't mix well with vocal chords! Also you can occasionally eat teaspoons of honey [ da natural stuffs ] like right before you sing, or a few minutes before. :v Maybe two - three cups a day? You'll notice you'll be able to sing for a tad longer and maybe you'll have a few extra notes on the top of your range.

I come from a family of musicians [ even though my voice may not sound like it ] so all of this stuff is pretty much burned into my brain. If you have anymore questions feel free to quote/pm me.

Friendly Friend

Cenara Blackheart

Awesome, thanks!! ^ w ^

I'll be sure to use these techniques, and i'll quote/PM you if i have any questions or concerns.

Seriously, it means a lot ~ C:

Benevolent Gaian

8,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Sounds like you've got nodes. Quit singing from your throat and use your abdominal muscles to support your sound rather than the muscles in your neck. Also - make an appointment with an Otolaryngologist. (Ear/Nose/Throat doctor)

Also, consider lessons with an accomplished vocal teacher - they can help you sing healthily without wrecking your voice.

Friendly Friend

AkaTsuki-chan
Sounds like you've got nodes. Quit singing from your throat and use your abdominal muscles to support your sound rather than the muscles in your neck. Also - make an appointment with an Otolaryngologist. (Ear/Nose/Throat doctor)

Also, consider lessons with an accomplished vocal teacher - they can help you sing healthily without wrecking your voice.

I don't think it's really nodes, because my voice doesn't necessarily hurt when I sing...? Plus, I don't really raise my voice when I sing... but you might be right, and I'll try the Otolaryngologist... hopefully there's one in my area~ c:

Tipsy Grabber

Eat butter.

Lots of it.

Benevolent Gaian

8,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Noir VII
AkaTsuki-chan

I don't think it's really nodes, because my voice doesn't necessarily hurt when I sing...? Plus, I don't really raise my voice when I sing... but you might be right, and I'll try the Otolaryngologist... hopefully there's one in my area~ c:

Nodes don't necessarily hurt. What do you mean you dont really raise your voice...?

Friendly Friend

AkaTsuki-chan
Noir VII
AkaTsuki-chan

Nodes don't necessarily hurt. What do you mean you dont really raise your voice...?

oh.. sweatdrop maybe they are nodes... I found an Otolaryngologist, and my next appointment is in a week, so i'll check it out

I have no idea what I meant, i'm sorry~ cx I guess i was just scared that it might be nodes > o <

I've heard some scary stories about nodes, and some people lose their ability to sing and stuff, right?

Friendly Friend

Stultus Sed Callidus
Eat butter.

Lots of it.

x3 that sounds awesome~

like, pure butter?

Ice-Cold Kitten

Dun eat butter! Dairy products increase the mucus in your throat and you should eat as little of those as possible. Stay away from caffeine, salt, citrus, and chocolate during vocal training. You should mainly stick to tea and water. c:

Noir VII

Friendly Friend

Cenara Blackheart
Dun eat butter! Dairy products increase the mucus in your throat and you should eat as little of those as possible. Stay away from caffeine, salt, citrus, and chocolate during vocal training. You should mainly stick to tea and water. c:

I wasn't taking him seriously, but thanks for the added advice~ :3
Stop using your throat muscles to project. Diaphragm, forever and for always. A raspy sound can be really sexy for things, but there are slightly more healthful ways to do it than only using your throat.

Practice controlled breathing without letting your shoulders move. Inhale for counts, hold for that many (or half, depending on who's teaching), exhale for the first counts. Count longer as you gain strength, primarily determined by how easy it feels to inhale and exhale in this highly controlled manner.

Pant. Laugh, heartily (slash-cartoonishly evilly).

Keep a piece of notebook paper against a wall for as long as possible. Stand with one hand's breadth between your lips and the wall, blow a tiny, focused stream of air at the paper. Don't let your cheeks puff out, as that diffuses the stream by letting air build up in your mouth by swirling around inside first.

Let us know what the doc says, and maybe people will have more focused ideas. ^^
Cenara Blackheart
Noir VII

Are you using your diaphragm?? Also, generous amounts of tea and honey might help gradually improve your voice here and there.

I tend to like gritty voices though. :v

Sorry, I have to correct.

You don't "use" your diaphragm. It is an involuntary muscle that helps propel air in and out of your lungs. When people say "use your diaphragm" what they really mean is move your air, or support with your more air. Your diaphragm does help with this, but you can't control it. Thinking you can control it by flexing your abdomen to help push the air out only cause tension. Tension is very very bad, you want to be as relaxed as possible. Continueing on air, you want to use more of the upper part of your lungs. It may be the opposite of what high school band and choir teachers have told you, but I can assure you they only say to use the lower part of your lungs because it helps everyone understand what they are saying. Your lungs are in the upper half of your torso, so take in the air and expand from your chest and back (when your take a good breath into the chest, your back should also expand because your lungs, when expanding properly, pushes from every angle of your upper torso), and breath naturally with tittle to no tension.

And the tea and honey thing is great for when your sick with a sore throat. If you aren't sick all you are doing is drinking tea and honey. there are no benefits to it other than that.

Now this "problem" with your voice is not a problem. There is always an awkward time in everybody's life where your singing voice is going to be terrible. This is because as your body changes so does your voice. In fact, your voice changes until your about 35. There is nothing wrong with your voice it is just in the middle of an awkward period.

With that being said, it is very important not to strain your voice at this time. Over use of your vocal chords can cause serious and permanent damage. If it sounds like there is strain in your voice when trying to sing high, then don't sing high. If you are in choir and are singing soprano, ask your director to move you down to Alto.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff