Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hi guys, so as the title says I need help with composing music. For a while this year I've been properly relearning my music theory (circle of fifths, scales, staves etc..) and I say properly because in highschool I've been more of a practical girl never even bothered with theory.. ANYWAY, I've been composing songs its just that the problem is that it never last no more than 30 seconds crying I want it to be longer but I just don't know what else to add to make it have some "oomf" as some would say. Is there some kind of way i can learn to make myself better and be more creative with music?
Can you post something so I can get a better idea of the kind of music you're trying to make and the help you need?
here it is smile

SoundCloud

im a noobie so please forgive me if its plain.

Shy Bunny

Angry MinkaLoo
here it is smile

SoundCloud

im a noobie so please forgive me if its plain.

That song sounds pretty good. ^^

What I've learned in my time of composing music: length does not equal quality all the time.
For music to be good, it needs:
- Decent length.
- Feeling/emotion.(Even if that feeling is just "You're in a cave".)
- Variation.

A song can be short and still contain both feeling and variation. Sometimes though, you need to lengthen it to capture more feeling. To td that, throw in some variations--either minor or pretty big ones, whichever fits the song better. Variations could be a nearly-identical repeat with slight note changes, a new cycle through the song with additional instruments thrown in, a change of the lead instrument(s), or some combination of those.

Adding more feeling can be tricky though. For starters, you need to use the right instruments. This could be instruments that are generally used with what you've already got in the song, or they could just be whatever sounds right to you.
Feeling is also captured in the length of notes and the pace of the song.(Or tempo. Whatever you call it.). Shorter notes can work better for tense, cheerful, or energetic songs. Longer/more drawn-out notes work better for tense, gloomy, or erie songs. Either sort(or notes lying in between) can work for neutral moods.
To extend your song, you could throw in more parts to emphasize the mood or make it more clear.(Note: I'm still a kinda basic composer. So I wouldn't take all my advice to heart hahaha.)

I hope this helps! (I'm probably not the best at giving advice.)

OG Gekko

9,575 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Party Animal 100
Make more songs, and listen to more songs. Listen to different genres. Expose yourself to anything you can. That's the only way you can get better. and also improvisation/jazz helps a lot since jazz is mostly improv.

You have to constantly search for licks and melodic phrases that are in your head. It's something that comes to you with time.

Also your music seems very consonant. Try experimenting with dissonance, such as altered 9ths, 11ths, and 13ths.

Once you are able to sing what is inside of your head, you will be able to compose a wider variety of songs.

Loving Elder

Don't feel bad. We all have started off like that once. Your piece isn't as bad as you think. For the intro you can add some deep cellos or better yet contrabass. Anything bassy. It should carry it to the next section very well. Maybe have them come in during the third measure. Now this part is my own personal choice but when the piano comes in, stead of strings, use a viola or violin.
Anywho, I highly suggest get an understanding on music theory and listen to various instrumentals. Jazz is a good genre to listen to. You will get ideas from it.
Like a painter memorizing an image in their head, envision and hum to yourself a theme on where you want to go. If you hum it, you have a good chance of getting an idea to pop in your head.
Envision a world and put together what you think that made up world would sound like.

I'm getting carried away now but your best bets are to understand chord progressions which you can read from music theory and listen to alot of instrumentals. Preferably jazz or classical.
Once you get a nice understanding, doing music is like trying to come up with a professional way to write an article. I myself am a jazz player and although my music I have is random, there are a few jazz pieces done and you can get some understanding on how I twist these pieces.
Nilla

I know im replying 100 years later but your advice helped me a whole lot, especially about learning chord progressions, never knew what that was and thank you for mentioning it to me! and yes I've been listening to a lot of jazz and classical lately, Debussy's claire de lune is probably the only classical piece that I could listen to all day without getting bored (when I listen to the others, I don't get a sense of wonder and excitement like I do with Debussy's pieces) but yeah I've been practicing, just composing short pieces on my own here and there so I can sharpen my skills and get a sense of what I want. Also, I love your songs, they make me have so much feeeels whee You're supaaa dupaa talented smile Moonlight's probably my favourite song from you at the moment.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff