Welcome to Gaia! ::

I call it "Off the Map" because...well, it's a bit odd.

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/492152

I'd like a few comments on it, to see if there were more beautiful progressions/notes I could've used. =P

Sadly though, my music theory knowledge is far behind my actual composition ability, so I can't really tell you what I did to make this song, lol.

Opinions?

Dedicated Loiterer

I'm truly impressed! biggrin

This sounds very dreamlike and soothing, but also slightly unnerving--I could easily imagine hearing it during a scene in a movie like Pan's Labyrinth or Big Fish. I love the whole tone scale that you used in some parts, as well as the chord changes.
Vertigris

This sounds very dreamlike and soothing, but also slightly unnerving--I could easily imagine hearing it during a scene in a movie like Pan's Labyrinth or Big Fish. I love the whole tone scale that you used in some parts, as well as the chord changes.

Why thank you! I quite like big Fish (and pan's labyrinth seemed very interesting visually!) so I'm quite touched, haha.

I want to explore this sound more in other songs, but the issue is, I only seem to find certain chords that work appropriately for the style I'm going for. =(

Dedicated Loiterer

Checkered Zebra
Vertigris

Why thank you! I quite like big Fish (and pan's labyrinth seemed very interesting visually!) so I'm quite touched, haha.

I want to explore this sound more in other songs, but the issue is, I only seem to find certain chords that work appropriately for the style I'm going for. =(

Yeah, I've found it takes a lot of experimentation to get the right chords/rhythms to achieve certain effects and atmospheres you want. The hardest part for me is balancing all of the instruments when doing a score (or different piano parts) so that one part doesn't overpower all of the other parts. Your brain really has to multitask!

Invisible Prophet

Checkered Zebra

This is so beautiful..

I love it. My only question would be at 00:09, was that an intentional key change or whatever? I notice it throught the same part further along, so I'm assuming it was intentional, which its not BAD, i just kinda notice it a lot because the notes at that second seem to..clash? for lack of better words. That's all really, nothing bad about it, just curious as to that part. Otherwise its stunning.

Tipsy Grabber

Are you actually familiar with consonance bersus dissonance?
The arrangement is very beautiful.
If I were to nitpick; A few notes seem to cut-off earlier than expected (to me). And did you play this on a non-weighted instrument? Deeper dynamics could truly get this piece on another level.

But it's just nitpicking and just my opinion; as I've said, to me the arrangement is very beautiful and whichever way you want to go with your arrangement is your call smile

best of luck~

Dangerous Lunatic

Quite lovely, although it's more bi-tonal than dissonant. I did something similar while dicking around at the piano once.

It's much too short though!

It kind of reminds me of the French Impressionist composers, you should check out Debussy, Faure, and Durufle for inspiration.
Quote block reply post of doom!

Conjurism

Checkered Zebra

This is so beautiful..

I love it. My only question would be at 00:09, was that an intentional key change or whatever? I notice it throught the same part further along, so I'm assuming it was intentional, which its not BAD, i just kinda notice it a lot because the notes at that second seem to..clash? for lack of better words. That's all really, nothing bad about it, just curious as to that part. Otherwise its stunning.

Why thank you, haha. And yes, it was clashy on purpose. =P
I think it would get a bit boring if I had left it alone, and would've ..hurt? the mood I was going for if I had resolved to a more solid chord.

Glad you found it a good listen! =)

Stultus Sed Callidus

Are you actually familiar with consonance bersus dissonance?

I am not, but your post has made me curious, so I'm going to go bug somebody about it/google it. =P

Antago Dye
The arrangement is very beautiful.
If I were to nitpick; A few notes seem to cut-off earlier than expected (to me). And did you play this on a non-weighted instrument? Deeper dynamics could truly get this piece on another level.

But it's just nitpicking and just my opinion; as I've said, to me the arrangement is very beautiful and whichever way you want to go with your arrangement is your call

best of luck~

Why thank you! and nitpicks are fine, as they are generally observant and constructive.

This is actually a MIDI piano, made with Sibelius 6. I agree, dynamics would be amazing. especially in the second to last phrase when the notes are all on the same octave. I would like it to get quieter there.

Azula the Phoenix Queen

Quite lovely, although it's more bi-tonal than dissonant. I did something similar while dicking around at the piano once.

It's much too short though!

It kind of reminds me of the French Impressionist composers, you should check out Debussy, Faure, and Durufle for inspiration.

Lolyep, I made this from dicking around at a piano.
and I agree, it is too short, but I couldn't really seem to find where else it could go. I'll check out the names you mentioned, though. Along with learning the correct musical terms for this. x_x

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff