Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hi there! I was wondering if any of you have any particular methods when it comes to writing songs. Also, feel free to post some of your lyrics here! whee
When writing a song, you want to get the key of the song and some simple/basic chord progressions into it. Also, examining many popular songs can give you a good idea of the under lying progression. I highly suggest looking up music theory online, and especially learning piano. You can find many of the basic lessons of piano online, and can find a lot of theory online as well. Also create a very simple bassline, and build up to a melody. For example, a good bassline would be D to A and then back to D again each for four counts or whatever you feel to hold it for. Experimentation is always key. Hope that helps!
dog455
When writing a song, you want to get the key of the song and some simple/basic chord progressions into it. Also, examining many popular songs can give you a good idea of the under lying progression. I highly suggest looking up music theory online, and especially learning piano. You can find many of the basic lessons of piano online, and can find a lot of theory online as well. Also create a very simple bassline, and build up to a melody. For example, a good bassline would be D to A and then back to D again each for four counts or whatever you feel to hold it for. Experimentation is always key. Hope that helps!

I've been playing piano for 5 years; it is a great tool when it comes to songwriting smile
Music theory is very fascinating
I've been playing piano for 5 years; it is a great tool when it comes to songwriting smile

For sure. It is a very powerful tool.
I usually get the music down first and then write some lyrics that fit it. Then experiment with every part of the song.
One thing that helps sometimes of thinking of the chorus melody first. Not even lyrics, it can just be the instrumental to the chorus and then it's inspiration could be written in lyrics. Sometimes it can be difficult just trying to think of some chord progressions so as soon as a cool melody comes to mind write it down, record, or sing to keep it in your head C:

Tipsy Grabber

Since I've been practicing it more lately, I've found it incredibly helpful to write a melody out first then fill in three other voices using implied harmony. ends up sounding quite nice if you do it right
I used to throw stuff together and hopefully it'd sound alright
Now I change the instruments settings in FamiTracker and make usually 5-10 instruments for a song, maybe only 2-4 are used
I should really get working on some more stuff because the music I have already finished but not released sounds a lot better than my older stuff [The stuff that has been uploaded]

Newbie Gaian

1,500 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
michelletheladybug

Is it possible to listen as you play the piano in web? smile

Dapper Businessman

Step 1: Learn basic music theory
Step 2: Learn to use some kind of *quality* DAW
Step 3: Practice
Step 4: Be terrible for a while
Step 5: Learn from your mistakes and become less terrible
Step 6: return to step 4 and repeat until record deal.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff