Welcome to Gaia! ::

Desirable Lunatic

I use Live, I've been really happy with it. I always hear that it's not about what you use it's how you use it. Curious to hear others' opinions on their DAWs and various experiences. *braces self for hate on FL studio*

Dapper Businessman

Protools HD, Ableton, and Logic.

Desirable Lunatic

skumskull

I guess I am just curious about your experiences with them.
garage band

Dapper Businessman

Ren the Rainbow Squid
skumskull

In my home studio I use logic because I have the most training with it. If you've got the money, Protools HD is legit. If you've got the know-how you can make Ableton do literally anything you want.

Desirable Lunatic

skumskull
Ren the Rainbow Squid
skumskull

In my home studio I use logic because I have the most training with it. If you've got the money, Protools HD is legit. If you've got the know-how you can make Ableton do literally anything you want.

Yeah, that is why I am a huge fan of ableton. I have live 9, I use it in my home studio and it is hands down the best daw I've ever used. Then again.. I am coming from FL studio bahaha... although I will say this, FL is sort of underrated because I truly feel that it is not entirely the daw but how you use it. like... if you are super good with FL studio but a** with ableton, your s**t is gonna sound better when you use FL studio. It's like with equip, you can have super good hardware, but not know how to use it and your stuff is still gonna sound like a**, but if you have average stuff, and you are really good with it and know the ins and outs of it, then your stuff is gonna sound legit. although there is something to be said for knowing how to use higher quality stuff. smile
Honestly if the shoe fits

Even Cubase or Reason will get the job done if you know what you're doing. It does help to be somewhat proficient in more than one DAW though so try not to limit yourself to the "best one".

Loving Elder

The best DAW is the one you feel comfortable with.

Edit: I am going to add this bit of information so some can be aware. Although Pro Tools is an excellent DAW, you have to know that an iLok is required before you can even use it. Even as a trial you can't use Pro Tools without that iLok USB dongle. That itself is around 50 dollars.

Tipsy Prophet

7,650 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
My favorite one to use is Logic Pro X. Pro Tools is really nice, too.

Dapper Businessman

Ren the Rainbow Squid
skumskull
Ren the Rainbow Squid
skumskull

Yeah, that is why I am a huge fan of ableton. I have live 9, I use it in my home studio and it is hands down the best daw I've ever used. Then again.. I am coming from FL studio bahaha... although I will say this, FL is sort of underrated because I truly feel that it is not entirely the daw but how you use it. like... if you are super good with FL studio but a** with ableton, your s**t is gonna sound better when you use FL studio. It's like with equip, you can have super good hardware, but not know how to use it and your stuff is still gonna sound like a**, but if you have average stuff, and you are really good with it and know the ins and outs of it, then your stuff is gonna sound legit. although there is something to be said for knowing how to use higher quality stuff. smile

I would agree with you if not for the fact that the way the DAW processes the sound makes a HUGE difference. It's possible to get an ear for it, to hear where each program chooses to round off the 1's and 0's. FL is the easiest to spot because it's the shittiest at processing the audio. FL has a "sound" which can be useful, but in professional settings it just doesn't cut the cake.
Not many people know about Reaper but it's really a gem if you get to know it. That's what I use when I'm not using ProTools at uni.
Ren the Rainbow Squid
I use Live, I've been really happy with it. I always hear that it's not about what you use it's how you use it. Curious to hear others' opinions on their DAWs and various experiences. *braces self for hate on FL studio*

I'm thinking of staring up a guild for this kind of chat (DAWs, mixing, mics, general sound engineering/producing/music tech whateverness). What do you think, good idea?
Nilla
The best DAW is the one you feel comfortable with.

Genius

I use Logic 9, because it's what I'm most comfortable with. I'm also decently trained in Pro Tools and used it at another studio in the past, but I personally don't like it as much.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff