Welcome to Gaia! ::

i am a fellow guitar player, ive been playing for about a 11 months and i want to write my own shtuff and i want it to be good sounding, but i just cant get anything down.

i was hoping you all could share with me your own process to making your own songs. heck, share with me some of your music you've made, id love to hear it!!
... bump?
Well I have been playing Electric Guitar for a while! My help to you is write your song first then add in the music! My band is a hit right now! And net Saturday we are going to try and be signed toa label! YAYAY~~!!!
well, you can do it one of two ways, write the music first, or write the lyrics first...or maybe you could try to do both at the same time.

but what I do is basically mess around until you find a riff/chord progression that you like,..maybe a few that you like. Work around that riff/chord progression and figure out the basic 'sound' of the song. Figure out a chorus, verses, maybe a bridge or two.
once you have this you can make changes to it, like instead of playing a chord in one spot you can play an arpegio or a small rythm fill.
allso try and break up the main chords and riff by putting in a few filler notes..a good example is metallica ( master of puppets is a good one.)

and yeah...other than that you have to fend for yourself.
hope it helps!
missie_reddie
Well I have been playing Electric Guitar for a while! My help to you is write your song first then add in the music! My band is a hit right now! And net Saturday we are going to try and be signed toa label! YAYAY~~!!!

what type of band?
and do you have a link?
I had the same problem, it turns out I just needed to write about what I knew. Anyway, the way I write I pick a title - with a vauge tune and concept in mind - and challenge myself to write a song out of it.

Hope it helped!
wow thanks, that does help, i bet it would help if i werent so critical about my own stuff im making.. things just never sound right to me so i trash it right away
Pappasquat50
wow thanks, that does help, i bet it would help if i werent so critical about my own stuff im making.. things just never sound right to me so i trash it right away

meh, making a good song takes a lot of work
it would probably help if you had some guys to jam with. Or another guitarist at least.
I just mess around..pick a chord basically and work from there.
like, have the other guitarist add in his own things and ideas to help?
yep, plus if you have him mimick what you are doing in some spots except an octave higher....mm....sounds so good.
hmm... good idea, thanks this helps a lot
kayamar
missie_reddie

what type of band?
and do you have a link?
erxcuse me? ZLika a demo? and were punk/ rock
yes, im interested in hearing what your band sonds like also
Usually I kinda get a melody in my head and I play that melody out on guitar, make any changes, and make it so it sounds good to me. Then I start writing some other lines based on that riff (same key, similar chord progressions, etc.). I'll usually end up with maybe three or four more riffs based off the first melody. I'll organize the music into the song, meaning I'll organize the riffs into an order that satifies me. Afterwards I'll write a harmony to go with that. Next, I write a bass line that reflects the desired melody or infers the desired chord. Then I'll give a tape to my drummer and he'll put some percussion in it. Finally I'll introduce it to the band and they'll play it the way they envision the song, and I'll add vocals.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff