Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dedicated Smoker

12,100 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
I find it hard to play both right hand and left hand at the same time, my timing is off and I find it hard to read bass notes. Help please? Any advice will be appreciated. 3nodding

Unstoppable Phantom

10,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
EarthBound Forever
I find it hard to play both right hand and left hand at the same time, my timing is off and I find it hard to read bass notes. Help please? Any advice will be appreciated. 3nodding

Play each hand individually. After you get comfortable with that, attempt to take both hands and play them at the same time. If you're having a hard time with timing, either count in your mind, under your breath, tap your foot, or get a metronome. When it comes to reading notes, take a look at this:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

As you can see, the letter F is in between the two dots in the bassline. Once you've figured that out, you can pretty much go from there without having to really put effort into figuring out what note is what.

Loving Elder

Playing piano can be tricky and intimidating. But with enough practice, you should be able to play pretty well. I highly suggest you play with your right hand until you feel really comfortable doing so. Once you feel comfortable doing that, if you want to try the bass part, try to hum the song while you play the bass part with you left hand.
Don't let it discourage you though if you still can't play with both hands. Use a metronome if need be. If you have a phone, I believe there are metronome apps.

As for reading the bass, here is an image with letter for both bass and treble.

Dedicated Smoker

12,100 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Nilla
Playing piano can be tricky and intimidating. But with enough practice, you should be able to play pretty well. I highly suggest you play with your right hand until you feel really comfortable doing so. Once you feel comfortable doing that, if you want to try the bass part, try to hum the song while you play the bass part with you left hand.
Don't let it discourage you though if you still can't play with both hands. Use a metronome if need be. If you have a phone, I believe there are metronome apps.

Thank you. ^^

The Committee Staff Member

Nilla

Trying to outdo my cousin are we? eek Actually, that's a pretty good image. I think learning the left hand first would be a better choice. But that's just me. I've practiced with the right hand the first time I was learning, and my left hand ended up being lame. I can still use it, though. A tip for you.

Loving Elder

Offizier Wolfgang
Nilla

Trying to outdo my cousin are we? eek Actually, that's a pretty good image. I think learning the left hand first would be a better choice. But that's just me. I've practiced with the right hand the first time I was learning, and my left hand ended up being lame. I can still use it, though. A tip for you.
o...o I don't know your cousin. I think for the most part people learn in so many ways. I always learned with my right hand. My grandfather had told me back in the days. And when it came time to try the bass, I felt it was much more easier to play that, then playing treble. I didn't think it was too hard to learn though ^ ^ I always thought of playing the piano sorta like playing a game with a big controller. I had that mentality ever since playing games at a young age. And I guess it worked for me. x]

The Committee Staff Member

Nilla
Offizier Wolfgang
Nilla

o...o I don't know your cousin. I think for the most part people learn in so many ways. I always learned with my right hand. My grandfather had told me back in the days. And when it came time to try the bass, I felt it was much more easier to play that, then playing treble. I didn't think it was too hard to learn though ^ ^ I always thought of playing the piano sorta like playing a game with a big controller. I had that mentality ever since playing games at a young age. And I guess it worked for me. x]

I first began to play the piano back in February of 2005, and I've always found playing the bass to be a difficult thing. I guess it comes easy for some, though. It just takes a lot of time for me to practice that particular part when it comes to learning a new song. Playing the same rhythm in the left hand can also cause a bad habit and make it difficult to break.

I knew someone who would play his basslines with the same rhythm, and I told him to break away from that and learn different rhythms. He had a hard time doing that. There was this song he was learning that required the hand to be quick and jump from one place to the next in the bassline. He had played the bassline to this song he was trying to learn in a sloppy manner. I asked him to play it for me in a way so I could see what keys he was pressing. I was able to get the bassline he had been practicing on for a few weeks within about five to ten minutes. It was tedious, but I did it, just to show that he could do the same.
I learned by basically what the people before me have said--learning each part individually first. Learn each part until you can do it without thinking about it and then very slowly do both pieces together.
Try a simple song first. Once you get comfortable with that, increase the difficulty level.

Some exercises for your hands are just like doing some chord progressions or appregios and try to speed them up to get your brain working on focusing on both hands. Once you got the down, begging to start your left hand at the higher note and your right hand on the base key and create an opposition in notes.
If you do that before playing, it should begin to make right and left hand playing a little bit easier (that's what it did for me.)

Also, the suggestions above with learning both hands separately is really helpful most times, it takes a while longer, but it will greatly improve your playing as well.
EarthBound Forever

I was about to say what everyone else said razz Practice slow, get a metronome, and do each hand separatedly. It's difficult for a professional to sightread both hands at one time, so take your time, almost memorizing the parts. My professor once said to me that I shouldn't tap with my foot (as a metronome), I guess that's because it's hard to follow the correct time..?
And for the right one or left one, it depends on how you like it, but I think it's better learning the melody line first, which is in the right hand mostly.

Newbie Gaian

2,850 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
EarthBound Forever

I agree with others of training separate hands individually.

Usually I do not read notes just playing by ear like this rendition of Disney movie John Carter main theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVbPmNvpqPU

Play slower song first like for example Mariah Carey's Without You:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn1ZymicbtA

Then you can play slow song with more right hand variations like
Hayley Westenra Pokarekare Ana:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhAYXZV5GQ8

http://clicktotweet.com/pek01

Moving to a faster pace only later on, like this video of my renditon of
Taylor Swift Safe and Sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utv4kvuVP18

http://clicktotweet.com/tUemW

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/spianomusic
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/stevenpianomusicpage
try Note Identification excercise here http://www.musictheory.net/exercises

Other excercises are alos extremely helpful for developing musicianship skills.

3,150 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Member 100
  • Hygienic 200
Like everyone else said before, learn certain parts at a atime and you will have it in no time. I first started to play with my right hand and gradually add the base in with my left which i found it easier to do, but that's just me.
Here's the first songs that i learned ^^
Parallel Hearts (Pandora Hearts OST)- Music piano sheet
Plus...
Pandora Hearts- Lacie
And last of all..
Parting song- Pandora Hearts (synthesizer) sorry spelt synthesia wrong) sweatdrop

Moreover, like the others said, you could tap your foot, hum or snap your fingers to get the beat right so that you can play the base. But what i do is sing the base because i'm much more of a singer than a piano player, but you could do whatever 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff