Welcome to Gaia! ::

all music IS made for all people. I'm half native american and traditional native american music isn't half of my taste(hell its not even a little bit) and that's okay

6,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
jeatblack
all music IS made for all people. I'm half native american and traditional native american music isn't half of my taste(hell its not even a little bit) and that's okay
Exactly!

Beloved Friend

7,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mark Twain 100
I have black friends with better taste than most white people.

They like post-rock, folk, hardcore, math rock, and all around great bands

6,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
Snake Oil Salesman

Forgive me for asking this but what is math rock because in my head I'm thinking of 2+2=FISH with a guitar riff and yeah...

Beloved Friend

7,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mark Twain 100
DemonPandaGoRawr
Snake Oil Salesman

Forgive me for asking this but what is math rock because in my head I'm thinking of 2+2=FISH with a guitar riff and yeah...

Music with really weird time signatures and tempo changes, complex instrumentation, usually instrumental

Maps & Atlases, This Town Needs Guns, Tera Melos, et cetera
Well, yes.

6,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
Fields Of Rape
well its good that you ignored your parents, because whether theyre actually racist or not, their opinion about race relations is still dated as s**t.
Agreed.

6,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
Ace the Masturbator
Well, yes.
Ace the Masturbator...I rest my case.

Heroic Hero

9,550 Points
  • Hero 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
No.
People say stuff like that because they've never heard of it and they don't want you listening to anything outside of the norm.

Wealthy Capitalist

7,150 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Gaian 50
DemonPandaGoRawr
Not really even sure if this goes here but...recently my parents sat me down and talked about how I should hang out with more people of my ethnicity and listen to more music of "my culture". I'm african-american and my favorite genre of music is rock. My favorite band is Red Hot Chili Peppers, and I'm into just alot of rock, alternative and metal stuff. I asked what they meant by black music and they said rap yet when I was younger they taught me rap was bad and now they contradict themselves by telling me now to listen to rap. I don't hate rap. I like listening to it. My favorite rapper would probably be Eminem or Drake or something like that, but I'm getting off topic here so I'll just pop the question.

Society has taken music and somewhat segregated it making it weird for certain people of a certain ethnic background to listen to a certain kind of music.

Do you think there is such a thing as black or white music? Because I'm a bit confused. I was taught all music was for everyone.

So if you believe there is no such thing then cool. Awesome. Explain why. If you feel that certain genres (rock, alternative, etc.) are only for white people, then please explain why.

I'd love to see what the people of Gaia have to say about this situation.

Thanks in advance.

well,

there are defiantly genres of music that are more popular with certain groups including race.

but ever since eminem came rap went gray. rock and metal tend to be white kids

6,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
Until there is a good white rapper your parents can act that way all they want.

If all else fails you can play this

or this

6,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
The Cubed Egg
Until there is a good white rapper your parents can act that way all they want.

If all else fails you can play this

or this

This is going to seem a bit of a random question but...would you like to debate about exactly why Eminem is/is not a good rapper? Because he's not bad. His recent stuff is off but Slim Shady was good.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff