Welcome to Gaia! ::

6,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
Not really even sure if this goes here but...recently my parents sat me down and talked about how I should hang out with more people of my ethnicity and listen to more music of "my culture". I'm african-american and my favorite genre of music is rock. My favorite band is Red Hot Chili Peppers, and I'm into just alot of rock, alternative and metal stuff. I asked what they meant by black music and they said rap yet when I was younger they taught me rap was bad and now they contradict themselves by telling me now to listen to rap. I don't hate rap. I like listening to it. My favorite rapper would probably be Eminem or Drake or something like that, but I'm getting off topic here so I'll just pop the question.

Society has taken music and somewhat segregated it making it weird for certain people of a certain ethnic background to listen to a certain kind of music.

Do you think there is such a thing as black or white music? Because I'm a bit confused. I was taught all music was for everyone.

So if you believe there is no such thing then cool. Awesome. Explain why. If you feel that certain genres (rock, alternative, etc.) are only for white people, then please explain why.

I'd love to see what the people of Gaia have to say about this situation.

Thanks in advance.

6,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
Also, one more thing. As much as I love racial slurs and black jokes (sarcasm) let's try to keep that down to a minimum. Yeah, I feel like I had to say that.
that's wrong of your parents to do.
you should be able to hang out and like whatever you want.
there are no guidelines to what people should like because of their race.
just sayin'. hang out with whoever you want and rock out to whatever you want.

Timid Gawker

Nickelback is only for white people.
Listen to whatever you like, may it be Nickle back, Red hot chillie peppers, Sublime, etc. And don't let your parents say who you have to chill with. Hang out with white people, or hispanic people, or asians. Who cares.

6,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
you never came
Is not. I know people that are mega rap lovers that listen to nickelback. Guess what. Theyre black.

6,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
MilhouseSODMG
http://youtu.be/KzeREh_m1Mk?t=1m9s
Head Chronicles is better and what did Kain have to do with any of this?
you never came

Nobody even brought them up.
That's dumb as ********, tell your parents to shut the hell up and stop being racist.

also show them this

6,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
HoodratWarrior
That's dumb as ********, tell your parents to shut the hell up and stop being racist.

also show them this
As much as I wanted to say "shut the hell up" let's keep in mind that they do provide where I live and all that s**t. Also I'll be sure to show them the video. It's not gonna do s**t but what the hell.

6,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
Ninja_C96
Listen to whatever you like, may it be Nickle back, Red hot chillie peppers, Sublime, etc. And don't let your parents say who you have to chill with. Hang out with white people, or hispanic people, or asians. Who cares.
Thanks. I think what I hate the most is that they don't like some of my black friends and want me to hang out with more black people and I'm literally asking myself wtf.
DemonPandaGoRawr
HoodratWarrior

also show them this
As much as I wanted to say "shut the hell up" let's keep in mind that they do provide where I live and all that s**t. Also I'll be sure to show them the video. It's not gonna do s**t but what the hell.

Well yeah, but they are bein kinda racist.

Also tell them Bad Brains are black, and are proof music isn't limited to race.
I mean some just happened to have more of certain races due to where said styles developed and whatnot, but that doesn't really mean anything.

6,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
HoodratWarrior
DemonPandaGoRawr
HoodratWarrior
Thats dumb as ********, tell your parents to shut the hell up and stop being racist.

also show them this
As much as I wanted to say shut the hell up lets keep in mind that they do provide where I live and all that s**t. Also Ill be sure to show them the video. Its not gonna do s**t but what the hell.

Well yeah, but they are bein kinda racist.

Also tell them Bad Brains are black, and are proof music isnt limited to race.
I mean some just happened to have more of certain races due to where said styles developed and whatnot, but that doesnt really mean anything.
I wouldnt call It racism. Just ignorance.
You could also point out that rock was invented by black people.

Also, as a sarcastic retort you could try blasting traditional African music through the house whenever they're home:

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff