Welcome to Gaia! ::

Karyu-tono
Pig Farmer Killer
Karyu-tono
thoughtless, repetitive rap and pop music.

But Green Day is pop?

Before they got big there were still punk rock, the old Green Day wasn't pop. That's something that started after the album Dookie.

As Punk Rock as Justin Bieber.
Aiko Ilagan
morepunxthanthou
Aiko Ilagan
morepunxthanthou
Aiko Ilagan
morepunxthanthou
it's been dead man. i just got done surfing with it's tombstone.

cmon man. dont tell me u believe that too.
naw, i actually combat it's death around here and do my best to give the local music community a place to record and play shows.

i guess that means i'm on some harriet tubman underground rock'n'roll railroad type s**t.

naawww that s**t is sick. so u organize shows and stuff?
yeah my roomates and i host shows 1-3 times a week. then during the week we have lots of spontaneous jam sessions, there's actually a couple bands around here now that formed after meeting/jamming in my attic.

im guessing youre from NJ, but im not sure. but thats awesome.
delaware, it's like jersey but more close-knit cuz it's small as all ********.

Ai Wulfstan's Queen

7,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Person of Interest 200
yσυ αяє ìи ɱy ɗяєαɱʂ
τнє ɗαяkиєʂʂ ìи ɱy єyєʂ
τнє яαρτυяє ìи ɱy ʂcяєαɱʂ

It's going to s**t.

Metal <3

xX_иσcτυяиαʂυρяєɱαcy_Xx

Enduring Phantom

HoodratWarrior
Karyu-tono
All of the good rock bands are either gone or their members are old and more or less retired. The more modern bands that are decent or good, such as Three Days Grace and Green Day, are the last of the line.

It's a sad thing to see it go, and to watch it be replaced with thoughtless, repetitive rap and pop music.

Three Days Grace and Green Day ARE repetitive and thoughtless, you ******** idiot.

No, they aren't (at least for the most part). They have a storyline in each song, and depending on the song there are varying forms of depth to the story. That story is then backed by music that more or less conveys the desired tone and pulls together the piece as a whole.

In modern rap there is hardly any tone music and it all sounds more or less the same, the lyrics are one dimensional, such as "rack city b***h, rack rack city b***h" and only ever talk about a selection of perhaps three topics, if that.

Pop is no better. They have slightly different topic matter, but they auto-tune their voice to oblivion, so it doesn't matter if they can really sing. They just have catchy electronic beats blaring to cover up their lack of depth and thought. Good for dancing at a club mindlessly, but not so good if you want a quality composition to digest.

Don't mistake this as flattery for all rock artists, I well know that not all songs by an artist are stellar and that there are certainly some horrendous rock bands out there, I just believe that rock at it's finest had much more depth and meaning than the hollow, deplorable thing we call music today. Of course those who pass off as rock these days are not what their ancestors were, but it's still eons above the average slop.

On a final note, your ad hominem remarks are distasteful, exceedingly so when I my post had been nothing but polite. I suppose if you insist on calling me a ******** idiot, however, then I reserve the right to call you a warthog-faced buffoon. Your call.
All over the place lately. Dubstep is where it's at nowdays 3nodding

Enduring Phantom

Pig Farmer Killer
Karyu-tono
Pig Farmer Killer
Karyu-tono
thoughtless, repetitive rap and pop music.

But Green Day is pop?

Before they got big there were still punk rock, the old Green Day wasn't pop. That's something that started after the album Dookie.

As Punk Rock as Justin Bieber.

Pop is shorthand for 'popular'. They weren't even on the map until Dookie, they were just a bunch of upstart garage band kids making next to nothing due to invisibility.

Who am I kidding though, I don't really care. They have some good songs, the main vocalist a pretty good person these days, and they're great when they perform live. I listen to other artists much more frequently, but I still respect Green Day.
Quote:
In modern rap there is hardly any tone music and it all sounds more or less the same, the lyrics are one dimensional, such as "rack city b***h, rack rack city b***h" and only ever talk about a selection of perhaps three topics, if that.

Quote:

Pop is no better. They have slightly different topic matter, but they auto-tune their voice to oblivion, so it doesn't matter if they can really sing.

You do know that Green Day uses auto tune, right?

Quote:
They just have catchy electronic beats blaring to cover up their lack of depth and thought. Good for dancing at a club mindlessly, but not so good if you want a quality composition to digest.

Compared to Green Day...

da ********?

Enduring Phantom

What is it massachusetts
Quote:

Quote:

Pop is no better. They have slightly different topic matter, but they auto-tune their voice to oblivion, so it doesn't matter if they can really sing.

Quote:
They just have catchy electronic beats blaring to cover up their lack of depth and thought. Good for dancing at a club mindlessly, but not so good if you want a quality composition to digest.

Compared to Green Day...

da ********]
What is everyone's problem with Green Day? Jeez, people need to just let it go. I used them as a casual analogy of what is considered rock these days, and I get a pack of damn hyenas biting at my heels screaming 'pop artist'. No s**t Sherlock, they're punk pop these days, they changed just like 99% of music artists do at some point in their career.

I'm sure those videos are highly interesting, but I haven't the time to watch them at the moment. I will say there is some good pop and rap out there, if that's what you're trying to prove. I have eclectic taste in music, I don't shun things completely based on genre so I can believe it.

And yes, while Green Day has used auto tune before lightly, I've seen them live and they sound exactly the same as on the CD. The switched up the lyrics at points to ensure it wasn't lip sync, and auto tune was only used at certain key artistic points in a few songs. They have entire elaborate stories woven into the lyrics that connect many of their albums, and it progresses as they put out more work, eliminating the possibility that they just 'mindlessly throw words together'. There's a lot of layers to some songs if you choose to actually analyze their music.

I may not be their biggest fan, but I live with someone who is a big fan of them, so I've come to respect Green Day. They're good, honest, hard working people. They don't deserve all the hate they get.
Karyu-tono
What is it massachusetts
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Compared to Green Day...

da ********]
What is everyone's problem with Green Day? Jeez, people need to just let it go. I used them as a casual analogy of what is considered rock these days, and I get a pack of damn hyenas biting at my heels screaming 'pop artist'. No s**t Sherlock, they're punk pop these days, they changed just like 99% of music artists do at some point in their career.

I'm sure those videos are highly interesting, but I haven't the time to watch them at the moment. I will say there is some good pop and rap out there, if that's what you're trying to prove. I have eclectic taste in music, I don't shun things completely based on genre so I can believe it.

And yes, while Green Day has used auto tune before lightly, I've seen them live and they sound exactly the same as on the CD. The switched up the lyrics at points to ensure it wasn't lip sync, and auto tune was only used at certain key artistic points in a few songs. They have entire elaborate stories woven into the lyrics that connect many of their albums, and it progresses as they put out more work, eliminating the possibility that they just 'mindlessly throw words together'. There's a lot of layers to some songs if you choose to actually analyze their music.

I may not be their biggest fan, but I live with someone who is a big fan of them, so I've come to respect Green Day. They're good, honest, hard working people. They don't deserve all the hate they get.

Yeah, those two power chords won't play themselves.

Oh wait, they apparently will, since Armstrong has another guitarist on standby to play his shitty solos for him.
Karyu-tono

For someone who has eclectic taste, you pick some pretty overrated and trite examples.

Quote:
I have eclectic taste in music

Yet you make assumptions that contradict what you posted.

Quote:
There's a lot of layers to some songs if you choose to actually analyze their music

For example, how does American Idiot have have a lot of layers?
Karyu-tono
HoodratWarrior
Karyu-tono
All of the good rock bands are either gone or their members are old and more or less retired. The more modern bands that are decent or good, such as Three Days Grace and Green Day, are the last of the line.

It's a sad thing to see it go, and to watch it be replaced with thoughtless, repetitive rap and pop music.

Three Days Grace and Green Day ARE repetitive and thoughtless, you ******** idiot.

No, they aren't (at least for the most part). They have a storyline in each song, and depending on the song there are varying forms of depth to the story. That story is then backed by music that more or less conveys the desired tone and pulls together the piece as a whole.

Pop is no better. They have slightly different topic matter, but they auto-tune their voice to oblivion, so it doesn't matter if they can really sing. They just have catchy electronic beats blaring to cover up their lack of depth and thought. Good for dancing at a club mindlessly, but not so good if you want a quality composition to digest.

Don't mistake this as flattery for all rock artists, I well know that not all songs by an artist are stellar and that there are certainly some horrendous rock bands out there, I just believe that rock at it's finest had much more depth and meaning than the hollow, deplorable thing we call music today. Of course those who pass off as rock these days are not what their ancestors were, but it's still eons above the average slop.

On a final note, your ad hominem remarks are distasteful, exceedingly so when I my post had been nothing but polite. I suppose if you insist on calling me a ******** idiot, however, then I reserve the right to call you a warthog-faced buffoon. Your call.

Plenty of music follows a "story" however, that doesn't mean it isn't thoughtless and repetitive. Those two bands are EXTREMELY repetitive. Especially Three Days Grace. They are the very definition of a generic, corporate product being marketed to mall regulars who want "music with meaning!" but are too lazy to look for music themselves. Musically, they are boring. Lyrical content? Typical, angsty, wants to be rebellious, etc.

You've already been proven wrong on the hip hop. But the fact is that there are plenty of modern hip hop artists/groups with skill whose subject matter covers a variety of subjects. Turn off the top 40 station and your local hip hop station that plays nothing but "UNNNNNNNNNH DUH POPO FLASHIN LIGHTS UNNNNNNNNNNNNH" with shitty "BUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM BUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM" beats and actually look for yourself. It's a pretty simple task.

Pop? Well, you kind of admitted in your statement that it has a place. However, who said it can't have meaning too? It varies just as much as damn near anything else. Some is s**t, some is pretty good, fun, and catchy. Some has lyrical content that could "mean something."

If you're looking for a quality composition to digest, you need to stop looking at the pretty low tier rock bands played on every popular rock station ever. There are much higher quality bands, with plenty of "meaning" since apparently you care about story or w/e. It's called digging, though.

If by rock at it's finest, I would say that uh...well yeah some of the better rock is loads better than the s**t tier bands/artists in other genres. It's because of the quality of said bands/artists though, not because the genres themselves are low tier/shitty.
Plus, on the "the stuff that passes for rock nowadays is still eons above the average slop" line, um...no not really. I mean there are some pretty decent/good rock bands around. You did not name said bands though. What you named was just as generic and average as what you're complaining about.

Maybe it would be more accurate to say you're just lazy and have chosen to remain ignorant on music as a whole.
Karyu-tono
HoodratWarrior
Karyu-tono

Ahahahahahahq go ******** yourself. Rock music has been doing the sex and drugs topic long before rap even existed. Putting a message into a song has no effect on the quality of the music and you are only judging music based on the imsge it's given by the media. A lot of rap talks does talk about sex, money, drugs, and violence but there are times when it actually talks about some of these things negitively.

Green Day and Three Days Grace barely even have a "real message". Most of their lyrics are just pandering to teenage angst.

As for your comments on pop music. You have no idea the wide range of artists outside of pop and hip hop thst use autotune. Autontune for the most part isn't used to replace singing all together like you seem to think it is, it's mostly used to "polish" the voice and help get rid of things like voice cracks. I see it as being in no way different than putting a distortion pedal on your guitar to change it's sound.
dark-ninja-prototype
All over the place lately. Dubstep is where it's at nowdays 3nodding

Thank. I think too.

Florence hotels reviews*Los Angeles hotels budget*Amsterdam hotels luxury

Desirable Grabber

10,675 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
it's going left.

Then right
destroy rock., put a bullet in its face