Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anything that I can bob my head to, and is at least 140 BPM.

3,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cart Raider 100
To me good music is anything I can listen to multiple time without turning it into white noise.
It needs scathing intensity, in any direction; from Explosions in the Sky's most slow-paced and introspective song to The Mars Volta's craziest jam, as long as it doesn't half-a** it. It has to make me feel something, it has to be full-forced in whatever the heck it wants to be, it can't half-a** it, because then they're just doing it for the cash.
Since music's such a powerful provocateur of emotions, it has to make me feel something, as well. Be it wanting to mosh like no tomorrow, or lie down and think of tulips, it has to be 100% there, or no dice.

7,950 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Real music is made with ACTUAL INSTRUMENTS. Sorry guys, none of that techno s**t done on the computers some of you like to call genius. Real music also means, NO LIP SYNCING. That rules out the majority of the 'musicians' right there. Ever noticed how their voices sound EXACTLY like the album? That's a sign that they lip sync, but I'm sure everyone knew that. Sorry Taylor Swift fans, but she's a fake.
I don't have a definition for 'good music'. I listen to whatever I like, like anyone else who replied.
Arbitrary Abstract
gothysam32
GeishaXiaoQING17
gothysam32
My definition of good music is, anything that's not common around the teen race and I get lost in the sound of the instruments and voices. emotion_yatta

lol i know what you mean.....you definetly have a point

Thank you! For understanding me emotion_hug

Everyone understands you, it's just that the bolded part is so mind-numbingly childish. LOL I DNT CONFORM GUIZ AM I KOOL YET basically.

I did not mean to come off like that, it's just everyone my area is so absorbed into the same things except the few people I met who are decomformed from the comformed teens at my school.
Snuffins
There are many factors that play into what I consider good music. While most of what I listen to is Punk Pop and Alt Rock, I'll listen to other genres if:

They have well thought out lyrics. I don't mean they have to have a full fledged story to them, but I need more that the same 2 sentences repeated every second.

The tune must be catchy. I don't want to hear some odd sounding, poorly strung together dub-step sounding mess. If it's smooth slowing, it can be as soft or as hard as it wants.

The singer cannot be auto-tuned. I'm sorry, but all it does is make people who can't sing sound like robots who can't sing. When used on occasion, it can sound pretty nice, but if it is a constant thing to mask the singer's horrible voice, they shouldn't be singing in the first place.

It can't be to profane. While dropping the occasional F-bomb is nice and okay, I don't wanna hear some dumb a** throw every swear word or talk about how all he wants to do is ******** some chick...

The group can't be overplayed or overrated. I'm not trying to sound like some underground hipster here, even though I do act like one, but if the singer/band is played repeatedly on the radio or all i hear on people's Ipods and s**t is the same singer over and over and over, their voice actually gets pretty old and annoying and I tend to drop the band for a while, kind of happened recently with Falling in Reverse, good band, Ronnie Radke is an amazing singer, but every kid in my school who listened to the old ETF was doing nothing but talking about him or singing "The Drug in Me is You"....so annoying...

The song can't be too happy! I'm not saying you should be like The Cure and go all emo, but holy s**t at least stop pretending life is all flowers, sunshine, and rainbow farts! Life sucks at time, quit fooling yourself you delusional pricks!

So ya....pretty much all that makes a song good....

you're retarded.
JoeFishSticks
Snuffins
There are many factors that play into what I consider good music. While most of what I listen to is Punk Pop and Alt Rock, I'll listen to other genres if:

They have well thought out lyrics. I don't mean they have to have a full fledged story to them, but I need more that the same 2 sentences repeated every second.

The tune must be catchy. I don't want to hear some odd sounding, poorly strung together dub-step sounding mess. If it's smooth slowing, it can be as soft or as hard as it wants.

The singer cannot be auto-tuned. I'm sorry, but all it does is make people who can't sing sound like robots who can't sing. When used on occasion, it can sound pretty nice, but if it is a constant thing to mask the singer's horrible voice, they shouldn't be singing in the first place.

It can't be to profane. While dropping the occasional F-bomb is nice and okay, I don't wanna hear some dumb a** throw every swear word or talk about how all he wants to do is ******** some chick...

The group can't be overplayed or overrated. I'm not trying to sound like some underground hipster here, even though I do act like one, but if the singer/band is played repeatedly on the radio or all i hear on people's Ipods and s**t is the same singer over and over and over, their voice actually gets pretty old and annoying and I tend to drop the band for a while, kind of happened recently with Falling in Reverse, good band, Ronnie Radke is an amazing singer, but every kid in my school who listened to the old ETF was doing nothing but talking about him or singing "The Drug in Me is You"....so annoying...

The song can't be too happy! I'm not saying you should be like The Cure and go all emo, but holy s**t at least stop pretending life is all flowers, sunshine, and rainbow farts! Life sucks at time, quit fooling yourself you delusional pricks!

you're retarded.

Care to elaborate on your little judgement there?
I don't see how stating personal musical tastes in a forum specifically devoted to that very thing is retarded; unless you mean my specific tastes in music, to which I must ask, how am I retarded? Is it because I'm open to many genres, perhaps it has to do with my specific tastes within those genres, or perhaps it it because you don't agree with my personal tastes. If the later is the case, I must ask, who is the real retard here: the one with odd tastes in music or the one using such trivial insults to describe someone answering the question asked of the forum?

Playful Pitcher

19,150 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Frozen Solid 200
  • Cool Cat 500
GroHlgaSM
Real music is made with ACTUAL INSTRUMENTS. Sorry guys, none of that techno s**t done on the computers some of you like to call genius. Real music also means, NO LIP SYNCING. That rules out the majority of the 'musicians' right there. Ever noticed how their voices sound EXACTLY like the album? That's a sign that they lip sync, but I'm sure everyone knew that. Sorry Taylor Swift fans, but she's a fake.
Why does it make a huge difference if it's made on a computer/synthesizer?

6,450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
Anything that isn't bubble gum pop and music I can nod my head to. Lyrics I can relate to, and music where I can tell that they actually put something into making the song because y'know...nowadays a lot of stuff is just recycled crap and pointless lyrics.

Timid Gawker

Snuffins

This post reminds me of this one girl I sat near in high school english who always talked a lot in class but never actually said anything of substance that was worth discussing.

6,450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
GroHlgaSM
I totally agree with what you're saying but not all digital stuff is bad. I have a certain level of respect for anyone that plays instruments, meaning LMFAO angers the crap out of me. But like I said not all digital stuff means that the person didn't put something into it. Like Deadmau5. All of his stuff is techno but he does it himself and actually puts work into it. As for lip syncing...I wouldn't say it means they're not musicians, but yeah.
you never came
Snuffins

This post reminds me of this one girl I sat near in high school english who always talked a lot in class but never actually said anything of substance that was worth discussing.

Ya, it may be due to my gross lack of correct punctuation, spelling, and run on sentences. Looking back I can see how it would make little sense to someone who doesn't know exactly what I mean. I did a real suck a** job with a description. I pretty much meant anything that actually has meaning, no overly reoccurring lines or beats, and doesn't seem fake would sound good to me. I'm not a fan of overly happy songs, dub-step/techno, or rap.

Ladykiller

"Good" is too subjective, and usually just brings out the hipster snobbery. Different kinds of music serve different purposes and affect people differently based on their mood/personality.

6,450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
Snuffins
you never came
Snuffins

Ya, it may be due to my gross lack of correct punctuation, spelling, and run on sentences. Looking back I can see how it would make little sense to someone who doesn't know exactly what I mean. I did a real suck a** job with a description. I pretty much meant anything that actually has meaning, no overly reoccurring lines or beats, and doesn't seem fake would sound good to me. I'm not a fan of overly happy songs, dub-step/techno, or rap.
Not trying to start anything but can I ask what you have against rap? Because not all rap is "wait until you see my d**k". There's actually some half decent rap out there with actual thought put into it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games