Welcome to Gaia! ::

Snuffins
JoeFishSticks
Snuffins
JoeFishSticks
Snuffins
There are many factors that play into what I consider good music. While most of what I listen to is Punk Pop and Alt Rock, I'll listen to other genres if:

They have well thought out lyrics. I don't mean they have to have a full fledged story to them, but I need more that the same 2 sentences repeated every second.

The tune must be catchy. I don't want to hear some odd sounding, poorly strung together dub-step sounding mess. If it's smooth slowing, it can be as soft or as hard as it wants.

The singer cannot be auto-tuned. I'm sorry, but all it does is make people who can't sing sound like robots who can't sing. When used on occasion, it can sound pretty nice, but if it is a constant thing to mask the singer's horrible voice, they shouldn't be singing in the first place.

It can't be to profane. While dropping the occasional F-bomb is nice and okay, I don't wanna hear some dumb a** throw every swear word or talk about how all he wants to do is ******** some chick...

The group can't be overplayed or overrated. I'm not trying to sound like some underground hipster here, even though I do act like one, but if the singer/band is played repeatedly on the radio or all i hear on people's Ipods and s**t is the same singer over and over and over, their voice actually gets pretty old and annoying and I tend to drop the band for a while, kind of happened recently with Falling in Reverse, good band, Ronnie Radke is an amazing singer, but every kid in my school who listened to the old ETF was doing nothing but talking about him or singing "The Drug in Me is You"....so annoying...

The song can't be too happy! I'm not saying you should be like The Cure and go all emo, but holy s**t at least stop pretending life is all flowers, sunshine, and rainbow farts! Life sucks at time, quit fooling yourself you delusional pricks!

So ya....pretty much all that makes a song good....

you're retarded.

Care to elaborate on your little judgement there?
I don't see how stating personal musical tastes in a forum specifically devoted to that very thing is retarded; unless you mean my specific tastes in music, to which I must ask, how am I retarded? Is it because I'm open to many genres, perhaps it has to do with my specific tastes within those genres, or perhaps it it because you don't agree with my personal tastes. If the later is the case, I must ask, who is the real retard here: the one with odd tastes in music or the one using such trivial insults to describe someone answering the question asked of the forum?

The bold part is the reason that you are retarded.

I fail to see how not liking to hear swearing every other word makes me retarded. Excessive swearing is simply a crutch used by those too stupid to pick up a thesaurus. And if you'd have actually read the rest of that sentence, you would see that I do like songs with occasional swearing. I love Celo Green's "******** You", and it is loaded with the F-bomb. When I say "too profane", I mean songs where the lyrics are along the lines of "I'mma ******** dat ******** b***h, *****". I'm sorry, but you sound ignorant when you speak like that.

I also fail to see how not liking overrated songs and groups is retarded. Take my jumbled example for instance. When Falling in Reverse first hit the scene, I was ecstatic; Ronnie Radke was out of prison and singing again. I listened to Falling in Reverse nonstop for about a month, after which I listened to them casually along with the other bands I enjoy. Despite the fact that I had stopped listening to them nonstop, every other kid in my school who liked them was still spewing Falling in Reverse everywhere. The songs got old and where my initial reaction was, "OHEMGEE, I wanna have Ronnie's Babies!", turned into, "Oh, it's this song again.......*sigh*" It's for reasons like this that I cannot enjoy songs like Freebird, Every Rose Has It's Thorns, and a lot of modern pop. They are massively overplayed and just get annoying after a while.

And for a third and final time, I fail to see how not liking overly happy songs makes me retarded. It may because of my own personal experiences, but life is not happy 100% of the time, and these pop artists who have nothing but songs about having good times and enjoying life really bug the tar out of me. At the same time, I'm also saying that albums that are nothing but some emo b***h whining into a mic for 30 minutes are not good either. A musical artist should be able to balance their lights and darks, much like a traditional artist must. A perfect example of this would be American Country music. Each artist has many happy songs. But at the same time, they have many sad songs. For a more specific example, there was a country singer, who's name I cannot recall, who had a song about the joys of participating in a rodeo; he made it sound like such a good time. Then, the very next song on the album was about a man who's wife was calling to say she was leaving him because the man went to too many out of state rodeos. We had a little taste of fun, but were then hit with the harsh realities of life. That to me is true musical art.

And now I look at you, sir. A man accusing a poor girl of being a retard, despite the fact that she has crafted these amazing paragraph long counter arguments to your one sentence. You look truly stupid right now, sir. You condemn others for their own opinions, and when asked to clarify yourself, you fail to do so. As far as I'm concerned, in comparison to your intellect, I'm Stephen Hawking, Isaac Newton, and Albert Einstein all combined into one person. Sir, you are a retard.

IAmAFurkMotheringPanda
Haha. Not sure if it matters right now, but antisocial socialites...ehhh not that awesome. A New Horizon sounds so much better.

Haha, yeah. I convinced everyone to change the name if we ever get signed to a label though.

Alright I'll go point by point explaining why you're retarded (don't worry, I'll use little words so you won't get too confused)
1. Swearing isn't what makes those songs bad, those songs are just bad in every way. The swearing has nothing to do with it.
2. OVERPLAYED was the part I highlighted. Overplayed does not equal bad.
3. Happy isn't a bad thing and happy music isn't automatically bad. There are HUNDREDS of very happy songs that are very good. Sometimes people can be happy, you know?
4. Don't say sir in comments. It makes you look like you're trying to sound less retarded, but you're still retarded.
5. You're not a poor girl. The only reason I believe that you're a girl is because you're retarded.
6. Don't call people retards. Some people might get offended.
7. Your counterarguments were not amazing, or intelligent. Just retarded. Good try though. Lots of words makes it seem like you're almost smart. It sucks that you aren't though.
Keep trying.

Fanatical Visionary

Good music to me has to be believable.

If someone decides to use autotune, or techno computers, I better believe they are the coolest robot in the universe.
If someone decides to write beautiful, epic, inspiring, imaginative, etc. lyrics, I want to believe that what they're singing is true to them.
If someone decides to play rock, I want to hear ROCK.

When a song is believable I can feel the emotions along with it, even though sometimes I don't always agree to the song's theme or message.

Anxious Poster

10,675 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Megathread 100
JoeFishSticks

Alright I'll go point by point explaining why you're retarded (don't worry, I'll use little words so you won't get too confused)
1. Swearing isn't what makes those songs bad, those songs are just bad in every way. The swearing has nothing to do with it.
3. Happy isn't a bad thing and happy music isn't automatically bad. There are HUNDREDS of very happy songs that are very good. Sometimes people can be happy, you know?
4. Don't say sir in comments. It makes you look like you're trying to sound less retarded, but you're still retarded.
5. You're not a poor girl. The only reason I believe that you're a girl is because you're retarded.
7. Your counterarguments were not amazing, or intelligent. Just retarded. Good try though. Lots of words makes it seem like you're almost smart. It sucks that you aren't though.
Keep trying.

You're only making yourself look stupider to me...you know that right?
Here, I wont dress up my posts...

1: I never said swearing automatically makes a song bad. If you go back and read my ******** post, I clearly say that EXCESSIVE swearing makes them bad! Do you know what Excessive means? I also say that the occasional swear is okay, I just personally do not like to hear swearing every other word.

2: No, an overplayed song is not bad. There is a reason it's overplayed, and that's usually because it's an amazing song. What I mean is when I hear a song too many times, it gets old and I want to go look for something different. It doesn't necessarily make them bad, it just turns me off from the song.

3: Yes, there are many happy songs that are good. Once again, if you actually ******** read my post, you'd see that I hate songs that are TOO HAPPY! When the artist has nothing but songs that are all "Yay yay fun yay", it gets ******** annoying!

4: I'll say sir all the ******** I want. the only reason I actually dressed up my responses was in hopes of getting an actual response from you. All you added on your side was "Hurr durr, you're retarded" and "Hurr durr, dis is why".....Seems pseudo intellectualism worked.

5: ya, that bit was a bit of an exaggeration....not sure why you'd even add that into a response

6:
>Call people retards
>Gets called retard
>"Hurr, you shouldn't call people retards, they'll get offended"

Are you ******** serious? Not only do you call someone retarded for stating personal opinions, but you then go as far to tell people to not call people retarded? You're ******** stupid you know that? You read a simple post that clearly states something simple like "Too much swearing is annoying, but I like the occasional swear" and interpret it as "I hate all songs with swearing", you take what is obviously fake intelligence seriously, then you turn out to be a ******** hypocrite...You're ******** retarded! I'll say it all I want.

7: Not once did I try to defend my intellect. In fact, in 2 responses from other people, and even in this one, I admitted that yes, I'm not the brightest person alive. I know I'm ditsy and what not. I mean ******** look at my post...Repeated word usage, terms no one ******** uses, a complete contradiction of writting style from my first post. To actually think I was being serious is beyond me....

Fanatical Visionary

Music with meaning and emotion crying
Snuffins
JoeFishSticks

Keep trying.

1: I never said swearing automatically makes a song bad. If you go back and read my ******** post, I clearly say that EXCESSIVE swearing makes them bad! Do you know what Excessive means? I also say that the occasional swear is okay, I just personally do not like to hear swearing every other word.

2: No, an overplayed song is not bad. There is a reason it's overplayed, and that's usually because it's an amazing song. What I mean is when I hear a song too many times, it gets old and I want to go look for something different. It doesn't necessarily make them bad, it just turns me off from the song.

3: Yes, there are many happy songs that are good. Once again, if you actually ******** read my post, you'd see that I hate songs that are TOO HAPPY! When the artist has nothing but songs that are all "Yay yay fun yay", it gets ******** annoying!

4: I'll say sir all the ******** I want. the only reason I actually dressed up my responses was in hopes of getting an actual response from you. All you added on your side was "Hurr durr, you're retarded" and "Hurr durr, dis is why".....Seems pseudo intellectualism worked.

5: ya, that bit was a bit of an exaggeration....not sure why you'd even add that into a response

6:
>Call people retards
>Gets called retard

Are you ******** serious? Not only do you call someone retarded for stating personal opinions, but you then go as far to tell people to not call people retarded? You're ******** stupid you know that? You read a simple post that clearly states something simple like "Too much swearing is annoying, but I like the occasional swear" and interpret it as "I hate all songs with swearing", you take what is obviously fake intelligence seriously, then you turn out to be a ******** hypocrite...You're ******** retarded! I'll say it all I want.

7: Not once did I try to defend my intellect. In fact, in 2 responses from other people, and even in this one, I admitted that yes, I'm not the brightest person alive. I know I'm ditsy and what not. I mean ******** look at my post...Repeated word usage, terms no one ******** uses, a complete contradiction of writting style from my first post. To actually think I was being serious is beyond me....

Alright on Point 1 you still aren't understanding so we're dropping that point.
2. A Song getting old doesn't mean it's bad.
3. Songs that are TOO HAPPY aren't automatically bad.
4. Saying hurr doesn't actually accomplish anything.
5. I added it because you're a c**t straight up
6. You really shouldn't say retard, it could be offensive.
7. You are trying to make it subtle, but yes, you're trying to make yourself seem smart. Which you're not. Because you're retarded.
Come on you're embarrassing yourself. Don't you have children to bear?

Lonely Capitalist

11,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100
JoeFishSticks
Snuffins
JoeFishSticks

Keep trying.

6:
>Call people retards
>Gets called retard

Alright on Point 1 you still aren't understanding so we're dropping that point.
2. A Song getting old doesn't mean it's bad.
3. Songs that are TOO HAPPY aren't automatically bad.
4. Saying hurr doesn't actually accomplish anything.
5. I added it because you're a c**t straight up
6. You really shouldn't say retard, it could be offensive.
7. You are trying to make it subtle, but yes, you're trying to make yourself seem smart. Which you're not. Because you're retarded.
Come on you're embarrassing yourself. Don't you have children to bear?
i would have given up before it started

4,800 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
I can't believe this thread.
As a person that loves all different types of music, as long as it sounds good or interesting, I dig it.

Blessed Hunter

5,600 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
Music that combines one of more elements, such as beautiful lyricism, solid instrumentals, high vocal quality, etc. to form something that makes me feel differently inside than I would if I wasn't listening to that song.

That being said, The Killing Tree, AFI, Manchester Orchestra, Circa Survive, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Mountain Goats, Four Letter Lie, VersaEmerge, and As I Lay Dying are all completely flawless (with the exception of a good majority of AFI's last two albums) bands and anyone who thinks otherwise is a piece of s**t.

And since I listen to a decent amount of post-rock I should probably throw in that sometimes the instrumentals can be solid enough you don't need anything else.

Dangerous Sex Symbol

6,500 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
good music is music that you just cant help but move to smile :p
-late

5,500 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Music That will match my mood
They say music is what makes you move Honestly something that wont make me fall asleep while washing dishes xd

Tipsy Conversationalist

Aiko Ilagan

Me neither. What happened?

4,800 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Highland Apparition
Aiko Ilagan

Me neither. What happened?