Liberal Voter

8,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
Sight Ninja
Adyman182
In order for a band to be critically acclaimed everywhere

In your title, you say great band. Here, you say critically acclaimed.
I actually see a difference between the two.

Let's just forget the terminology, alright? You know what I mean. The above words were not what I wanted to say.

Quote:
For me, personally, an artist or band is good when they make music that is true to who they are or tells a story. (This rules out pretty much all pop music). Classic rock is my favorite genre because of the story aspect (and just good music, imo) So artists such as Stevie Nicks or Fleetwood Mac, John Melloncamp, billy idol, Supertramp, and actually...P!nk, I include in "rock".

However, there are even rappers that I like because of their story telling or "true music" such as Eminem and Chamillionaire. (The latter being primarily known for Ridin dirty, but if you ignore his stuff while at universal, and listen to some songs like slow loud & bangin, or "the morning news", he's actually a pretty intelligent guy. I also like Vanessa Carlton, because she never sold out.

So that's how I pick "good artists"; not how they're received, but the story behind their art.

I agree, so what's your point? I said great. And by that, a basement band doesn't belong up there, even though you listed none of them. It's like, the best, filtered by popularity. Is that not too hard to understand?

Lonely Demigod

12,900 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Adyman182
Sight Ninja
Adyman182
In order for a band to be critically acclaimed everywhere

In your title, you say great band. Here, you say critically acclaimed.
I actually see a difference between the two.

Let's just forget the terminology, alright? You know what I mean. The above words were not what I wanted to say.

Quote:
For me, personally, an artist or band is good when they make music that is true to who they are or tells a story. (This rules out pretty much all pop music). Classic rock is my favorite genre because of the story aspect (and just good music, imo) So artists such as Stevie Nicks or Fleetwood Mac, John Melloncamp, billy idol, Supertramp, and actually...P!nk, I include in "rock".

However, there are even rappers that I like because of their story telling or "true music" such as Eminem and Chamillionaire. (The latter being primarily known for Ridin dirty, but if you ignore his stuff while at universal, and listen to some songs like slow loud & bangin, or "the morning news", he's actually a pretty intelligent guy. I also like Vanessa Carlton, because she never sold out.

So that's how I pick "good artists"; not how they're received, but the story behind their art.

I agree, so what's your point? I said great. And by that, a basement band doesn't belong up there, even though you listed none of them. It's like, the best, filtered by popularity. Is that not too hard to understand?

Actually several of the ones I listed are "basement bands" (Well...Chamillionaire and Vanessa Carlton)
Also, I only realized after my post that somebody was already bring up popularity vs greatness and I kinda felt like a tool for making the same argument, so I apologize for that.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff