RiSE T0 FaLL
LOVE THIS BAND! <3

What a coincidence! Me too!
GreenSouthpaw
RiSE T0 FaLL
LOVE THIS BAND! <3

What a coincidence! Me too!

You're already amazing. biggrin
Not only is Angel Blue unquestionably my favorite song on ¡Uno!, but I'm pretty sure it's one of my favorite Green Day songs. Not sure WHERE on the list it falls, but probably within the top 20. I just can't get enough of it.

I'm in a bit of a grumpy/down mood right now, and it was kind of the perfect soundtrack for my mood.
Sweet!

Listening to Nimrod right now.

Lot of common themes with ¡UNO!, lyrically. That they don't necessarily have in common with other albums. Didn't realize today was its "birthday", just by coincidence decided to listen to it, and then on GDC they said it was the album's birthday.
Ooooooh, maybe I'll listen to Nimrod too. whee

And yeah, I think Uno is definitely most similar to NImrod in quite a few ways. But the more I listen to it, the more I hear Warning in it too. And a bit of 1039/SOSH and Kerplunk, with pinches of American Idiot (and the b-sides) and 21CB, but MOSTLY Nimrod and Warning.

/ramble
[OT That song in your last.fm, "Some Nights" is fun... er. I don't mean the band, I mean it is fun to listen to. My sister got their album and was playing it and I liked some of it but some was a little overly electronic-voiced...]

Warning musically, definitely... I honestly think, this is what the next album would have sounded like, had American Idiot not come along. But if they never did American Idiot, they wouldn't have gotten the opportunity to explore their sound the way they did in both that and 21CB, and I think it's definitely improved their perspectives as artists...

So so far, the Trilogy... The first installment seems to represent Green Day in its essence, if American Idiot hadn't existed.

I'll be excited to hear the next...
GreenSouthpaw
[OT That song in your last.fm, "Some Nights" is fun... er. I don't mean the band, I mean it is fun to listen to. My sister got their album and was playing it and I liked some of it but some was a little overly electronic-voiced...]

Warning musically, definitely... I honestly think, this is what the next album would have sounded like, had American Idiot not come along. But if they never did American Idiot, they wouldn't have gotten the opportunity to explore their sound the way they did in both that and 21CB, and I think it's definitely improved their perspectives as artists...

So so far, the Trilogy... The first installment seems to represent Green Day in its essence, if American Idiot hadn't existed.

I'll be excited to hear the next...

Some Niiiiights!! heart Love that song so much.

I think you're right. This is the natural progression of Green Day minus concept albums. Uno really does represent Green Day at their core, which is what I love about the album.

I can't believe it's less than a month until another new album!! emotion_kirakira
Starburstnova

And I've just now listened to the American Idiot b-sides "Shoplifter", "Too Much Too Soon", and "Favorite Son", and they only back up that point even further. It's very poppy stuff, the "essence" of Green Day is there, the way Billie sings, everything.

And I mean, that's what they needed the side project for. To develop the "Green Day" sound, sans story. Well, there's still a story, but it is a much more non-linear sort of story, just about personal struggles, and journeys, and everyday existence.

I've honestly been feeling kind of depressed lately. I don't know if the thing with Billie Joe started it or what, but it sort of turned me around... But I've been not sad about him anymore, just general emptiness... And listening to some of their older and more obscure stuff with a fresh ear has sort of made me fall in love all over again. In a completely different way. I just love Billie Joe's lyrics... They're incredible. The music complements them so well, too. It's just like... so simple, and yet so complex. A recent article said something about haiku simplicity in one of the songs off of Uno (they said Troublemaker, though the lines they quoted were from Kill The DJ), and I'm like... Well. That's actually a good way of putting it. Because haiku... A well-done haiku says a lot, but is very economical with words and syllables, of course. If you're to add music to it, the same is true of that music as well. He says so much without having to say all that much. It's just the word choices, the way things are so open to interpretation and yet so specific at the same time... IDK. It's not like he's the only great songwriter ever, but ... he definitely is a great songwriter. I don't think the fact that he's written about masturbation or drugs takes away from that at all. They're all experiences that a lot of people have had, and contribute to what makes a person who they are.
GreenSouthpaw
Starburstnova

And I've just now listened to the American Idiot b-sides "Shoplifter", "Too Much Too Soon", and "Favorite Son", and they only back up that point even further. It's very poppy stuff, the "essence" of Green Day is there, the way Billie sings, everything.

And I mean, that's what they needed the side project for. To develop the "Green Day" sound, sans story. Well, there's still a story, but it is a much more non-linear sort of story, just about personal struggles, and journeys, and everyday existence.

I've honestly been feeling kind of depressed lately. I don't know if the thing with Billie Joe started it or what, but it sort of turned me around... But I've been not sad about him anymore, just general emptiness... And listening to some of their older and more obscure stuff with a fresh ear has sort of made me fall in love all over again. In a completely different way. I just love Billie Joe's lyrics... They're incredible. The music complements them so well, too. It's just like... so simple, and yet so complex. A recent article said something about haiku simplicity in one of the songs off of Uno (they said Troublemaker, though the lines they quoted were from Kill The DJ), and I'm like... Well. That's actually a good way of putting it. Because haiku... A well-done haiku says a lot, but is very economical with words and syllables, of course. If you're to add music to it, the same is true of that music as well. He says so much without having to say all that much. It's just the word choices, the way things are so open to interpretation and yet so specific at the same time... IDK. It's not like he's the only great songwriter ever, but ... he definitely is a great songwriter. I don't think the fact that he's written about masturbation or drugs takes away from that at all. They're all experiences that a lot of people have had, and contribute to what makes a person who they are.

I AGREE 100%. I've always been of the mindset that I would prefer a simple song more than a complex song because...it's easy to write a simple song. It's fairly difficult to write a complex song, because it requires some sense of musical theory. But to write a GREAT simple song is an artform that I just find incredible, and I believe Green Day have mastered.

I don't think the variety of their content takes away from that. I think it adds to it. Variety is another thing I highly respect. If you can do something great once, but then keep redoing the same thing...is it still great? But Green Day have always had variety. They've got fast songs, slow songs, use different instruments or time signatures, draw influences from a plethora of places...yet still are essentially Green Day at heart, and put their own mix into it.

And I thought 99 Revolutions sounded like the American Idiot B-sides...and a few of the songs on Uno. Angel Blue, especially. Well, actually...Angel Blue sounds like it could be on American Idiot. It sounds like the song American Idiot. xd Very similar guitar riff and drum beats. I'm too tired to think, and too lazy to figure it out, but a couple of the other songs, too. But I definitely think this is the natural progression of Green Day, and I love it. I love how they've evolved so organically. heart whee

Sorry you've been depressed. emo I have been on and off, but I think it's just getting to be that time of year. The nice weather is waning and there's less sun. Pretty sure I have Seasonal Affective Disorder. neutral
fhadslk;faj Just saw a commercial for CSI or something and it was playing a new song. "I'll make you surrender, I'll make you surrender." It was good. emotion_kirakira
Starburstnova
fhadslk;faj Just saw a commercial for CSI or something and it was playing a new song. "I'll make you surrender, I'll make you surrender." It was good. emotion_kirakira

It was most likely CSI because they did a thing with CSI: NY where they had a BUNCH of new songs in an episode... To like, help tell the story in some kind of a creative way.

And I like how you totally responded with the technical stuff about simplicity xD. I was thinking on the emotional side. But it's all still true. And I'm sure the weather doesn't help, but it's definitely not just the weather, because it's everything sort of not-happenign in my life right now.
GreenSouthpaw
Starburstnova

It was most likely CSI because they did a thing with CSI: NY where they had a BUNCH of new songs in an episode... To like, help tell the story in some kind of a creative way.

And I like how you totally responded with the technical stuff about simplicity xD. I was thinking on the emotional side. But it's all still true. And I'm sure the weather doesn't help, but it's definitely not just the weather, because it's everything sort of not-happenign in my life right now.

You're probably right. I was only half paying attention to the commercial, then I was like "Wait...is this Green Day?!"

And true, I mean both technically and emotionally. Really, in any regard you can take it. Doing something simple very well is way harder than doing something complex well. Because a lot of people think it's done well BECAUSE it's complex. But appreciating simplicity done well, to me, is way cooler. I think intricate things. But sometimes when something is simple, but done well, you can take so much more from it than what it appears to be at face value.

I remember when we used to spend hours dissecting lyrics, figuring out what they could mean. I remember one particularly long one about "Stuffed in a coffin 10% more free." Actually, just all of Macy's Day Parade. It's a really simple song, but yet pretty damn intense.
starburstnova
Yeah, he uses a lot of metaphors, daily life references, cliches, and other devices to get his point across (I mean in general not just in that song), rather succinctly so that you can understand the message without having to know exactly what the words mean. In fact... If you go word by word it's often more difficult to know how it means what it does, but it's the emotional connection you have to what he's saying...

I'm trying not to listen to too much of the new stuff so I avoided that CSI ep even though it does sound like a cool concept. I'm going to see Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part II eventually so I know I'll hear at least part of "The Forgotten" after which point I'll probably want to hear the whole thing... And I'm going to listen to whatever other singles come up. But I don't really want to hear too much.

My dad's big on prog rock and all that... I mean, he likes Green Day pretty well, he definitely appreciates the show they put on, but he mainly digs the stuff that's so much more fancy sounding cause he's just so impressed by it. It is impressive, but... I'm not saying the people he listens to aren't talented, but intricate stuff like that... That's skill, but not necessarily great talent.
Yeah, my dad really enjoyed 21st Century Breakdown. I gave him a couple other albums, but I don't think he got into them.

I'm also trying to avoid new songs. I'm not going to be as crazy about it as I was for Uno though. I mean, I rewound to watch that commercial. (Although I wasn't paying attention to the talking or the show, just the music.)

Also, I was hanging out in the CB and someone said this (because of my signature, I'm sure). rofl

Quote:
Btw, I was just telling my friends that I would like some of Green Day's early music, if their singer didn't sound like Pee Wee Herman.
As far as I know though, the January shows are still on, and Ashley (Netverk Southpaw) and I will be seeing them on the 13th, two days before ¡Tré!, so we'll have to try and get our hands on some kind of version of it so we can hear it before the show. That should be interesting.

And lol Pee Wee Herman. You know, I can kind of see it. But I like Billie's voice, speaking and singing, it's fairly distinctive... when he's singing at least, less so speaking but I can tell it... Except I think that could be a personal thing, because I'm so familiar with his voice XD.

It weirds me out how other people who aren't fans have heard about Billie Joe. (It amuses me when they start to tell me as if I didn't know... Yes I know, it's been a source of a small amount of anxiety for me of late, thanks a bunch! XD) Other people don't usually hear about them...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff