Welcome to Gaia! ::

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

So what is noise, anyway?

Noise is many things to many different people, obviously. In the context of this thread, noise is noise music, the broad, ill-defined genre of music based around the construction of musical composition using non-traditional means and sound. It can be harsh and unrelenting, it can be placid and meandering, simultaneously comforting and discomfiting.

Noise is, at first, supposed to make you say to yourself "god who would listen to this stupid garbage." Well, there are plenty of people that do! You don't have to be one of these people. You can be one of them if you like, if you are interested. Ideally, it's supposed to challenge you to make you think of music in ways you haven't thought about it before. Is that an idling diesel engine? Sped-up turntable scratches? Looped and layered sounds of breaking glass and busted Hammond organ? All playing at once, fading in and out, wrestling with each other for sonic supremacy? This is noise.

The important thing, the aim of noise, is to take all this throw-away audio detritus and cobble it together into something interesting.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

There are good noise albums and bad noise albums. These are some of the really good ones, the standouts, the stepping-stones into the genre, the ones that people point to and say "this... is... noise" a la Don LaFontaine. If you are interested in noise, these are the places to start, both old and new. Some of them, surprisingly, are available from such outlets as Amazon and iTunes.

Maurizio Bianchi - Symphony For A Genocide
Merzbow - 1930
The New Blockaders - Live At Morden Tower Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
Macronympha - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Hijokaidan - King Of Noise
Kevin Drumm - Sheer Hellish Miasma
Incapacitants - Asset Without Liability
Ramleh - The Hand Of Glory
Mauthausen Orchestra - Vernichtung Lebenunwerten Leben
Viodre - Interpol Alchemi
Mlehst - An Old Broom Knows All The Dirty Corners
Ahlzagailzehguh - Memory And Hearing
Jason Crumer - Ottoman Black

Pick one.

A HUGE part of noise is the live performance. Being able to craft a composition of sonic assault is one thing, but being able to do so live is pretty much a necessity as well. Here are some wonderful examples of noise in action:

Warning: may be quite loud.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Things to talk about in this thread:

• Noise
  • How to make noise music
  • Cool noise music you have made
  • Cool noise music you have bought
  • How you found the Merzbow / Gore Beyond Necropsy split at your local metal shop
  • Noise's eccentric uncle, first-wave industrial
  • Noise's angry cousin, power electronics
  • Drone noise (like synth drone, not guitar drone)
  • Electroacoustic noise
  • Noise that is kind of ambient / ambient that is kind of noisy
  • Collaboration

Things not to talk about in this thread:

• Noise rock
  • Noise pop
  • Gorenoise
  • Black Dice
  • The Locust
  • Any other band that merely utilizes elements of noise in their work in conjunction with traditional song structure
  • Guys check out this white noise track I made with Audacity and put on Soundcloud
  • Probably some other things
GET ON THE ******** TABLE!

(that is noise fan for "thread is open" )
Why remake it? All the deleted pictures in the original OP?
The Cubed Egg
Why remake it? All the deleted pictures in the original OP?

that, and i more or less just felt like it.
You guys should do an album of "noise remixes" of Britney Spears songs or something.
The Cubed Egg
You guys should do an album of "noise remixes" of Britney Spears songs or something.

a guy i knew on an old filesharing website did something like this and i don't know where it went sad

http://www.last.fm/user/divine_wind/library/music/BAN+ME+PLEASE
I am playing at one of the INC pre-shows this weekend, going to try and record it and post it later.
So what are good amps that can withstand noise. I want to distort the s**t out of my cheap starter bass.

So is "the cheaper the better" applicable here or should I save up for a good amp?

I want some good pedals too.
Fields Of Rape
BEAR WITH TRUCKER HAT
The Cubed Egg

a guy i knew on an old filesharing website did something like this and i don't know where it went sad

you might not remember this, but a couple years ago some dudes on last.fm (it may have been Shru) mixed together a gerogerigegege song with "Gee" by Girls' Generation. it was great.

also, i think there was a mix of Merzbow and Perfume, or something like that.
That sounds wonderful.
Fields Of Rape
BEAR WITH TRUCKER HAT
The Cubed Egg

you might not remember this, but a couple years ago some dudes on last.fm (it may have been Shru) mixed together a gerogerigegege song with "Gee" by Girls' Generation. it was great.

also, i think there was a mix of Merzbow and Perfume, or something like that.

no i have never been a part of the last.fm noise cabal
The Cubed Egg
So what are good amps that can withstand noise. I want to distort the s**t out of my cheap starter bass.

So is "the cheaper the better" applicable here or should I save up for a good amp?

I want some good pedals too.

can't help you with an amp, i need to look into getting one myself. cheaper the better i would assume.

far as pedals go, do you have anything already?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games