Welcome to Gaia! ::

4,750 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
also, thanks for posting those interviews. sometimes hearing a singer's talking voice can be really offputting, & sometimes you end up not liking an artist when you see them give an interview. but lana seems really genuine & well-spoken! i'm impressed with how well she described her vision for the "video games" video, about creating a visual world that fit into her sonic aesthetic.

is her older stuff (pre-"video games" ) worth listening to?

Wheezing Fatcat

Why don't you take a listen, some of her older stuff is on the front page.

Newbie Noob

Yogurto
also, thanks for posting those interviews. sometimes hearing a singer's talking voice can be really offputting, & sometimes you end up not liking an artist when you see them give an interview. but lana seems really genuine & well-spoken! i'm impressed with how well she described her vision for the "video games" video, about creating a visual world that fit into her sonic aesthetic.

is her older stuff (pre-"video games" ) worth listening to?

You're welcome! I've seen others ask for her interviews on other forums, so I figured why not just have some listed already. I get that sense from those interviews that Lana is a genuine artist who puts thought and intention behind her art/music.

And yes, her older stuff is definitely worth listening to! I live and die by her Lana Del Rey AKA Lizzy Grant album. It was on amazon/itunes briefly then it was shelved. It is an indie album, but you can still hear that her core aesthetic has remained the same.

Favorite tracks off that album:
Yayo
Pawn Shop Blues

But give it a listen, the entire album is full of gems.

Also if anyone has suggestion on how to improve the 1st page, I would consider it. I still want to add a MISC post and add a graphic for the rules.
counting the days til she becomes recognized by MTV
and then pow! lamestreamers ruin everything

Wheezing Fatcat

GD Botv6
counting the days til she becomes recognized by MTV
and then pow! lamestreamers ruin everything

rolleyes

Thieving Scrounger

36,475 Points
  • Married 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I'm not really a fan. To me she's similar to a car crash. I can't look away, but I know it's terrible and sad. I feel bad for her, because she had to have plastic surgery and pretend to be something else to be famous. (I thought she was beautiful and mesmerizing the way she was originally. I checked out her older stuff.) However, anyone who gets into that business does know it's all about putting on a show and branding yourself, so obviously she's not some lost lamb. She's an adult who knew what she was doing. I do have to say her hair color is great, and at times I enjoy her voice. I'm a fan of sultry Nancy Sinatra type stuff. I do not hate her or really dislike her. I'm just not as intrigued as most people. I do get the obsession though. She kind of crawled out of the woodwork overnight.

Newbie Noob

Blue Eyed Wallflower

Thanks for giving her a listen! I'm really excited for Lana's arrival. It is something that is not in the charts right now and has retro-elements in her music along with modern beat programming and samples.

The Video Games EP is #7 in iTunes (US)!
User Image
gunna be honest and say i dont know boo about your girl here op.

but i do know when well made [informative/neat n tidy feels] threads are made.

good job op.

Newbie Noob

All Pigs Must Die

Thank you so much for the compliment! If you want to know more about Lana Del Rey on gaia, then look no farther than this thread!

4,750 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Blue Eyed Wallflower
I'm not really a fan. To me she's similar to a car crash. I can't look away, but I know it's terrible and sad. I feel bad for her, because she had to have plastic surgery and pretend to be something else to be famous. (I thought she was beautiful and mesmerizing the way she was originally. I checked out her older stuff.) However, anyone who gets into that business does know it's all about putting on a show and branding yourself, so obviously she's not some lost lamb. She's an adult who knew what she was doing. I do have to say her hair color is great, and at times I enjoy her voice. I'm a fan of sultry Nancy Sinatra type stuff. I do not hate her or really dislike her. I'm just not as intrigued as most people. I do get the obsession though. She kind of crawled out of the woodwork overnight.

that reminds me...

isn't it interesting how talk of plastic surgery always seems to enter the lana del rey conversation? i guess people believe that plastic surgery has something to do with an artist's authenticity. i'd just like to point out that "authenticity" is a cultural construct &, to my mind at least, largely meaningless. what do people mean when they employ words like "authentic" or "inauthentic." what is del rey trying to be but failing at?

tangentially, a person with plastic surgery (not necessarily including del rey in this camp - has she ever outed herself as someone who has "had work done"?) does not have an inauthentic face & is not inherently inauthentic. all faces are authentic. let's stop talking about faces with plastic surgery as "fake" or "unreal." that just seems meanspirited &, if we remember that the majority of people who purchase plastic surgery are female, perhaps borderline misogynistic.
I like video games

Girl

damn this sucks
The only songs I've heard by her that I instantly liked were 'Video Games' and 'Blue Jeans'. I listen to 'Video Games' to inspire myself. 'Blue Jeans' is just badazz.

Wheezing Fatcat

Newbie Noob

I think Lana has her lips plumped, but it's not really surgery. I think she's beautiful, ever since her Lizzy Grant days up to her present era.

Did you guys get to watch the Off to the Races video? It was on youtube for about 2.5 weeks on Lana's channel, but she has since removed it recently. The song is great and the video was mainly clips of Latinas gunning down men. LOL

And the Lana Del Rey EP is #5 on US iTunes!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff