8,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
hit vibes
Reply with your favorites of 2014!!

Mine's lengthy and in-depth so
Top Five Singles of 2014:

1. Stay - No Devotion (and the other three singles they released)
2. Push Pull - Purity Ring
3. Pop It (feat. meesh彡☆) - ANAMANAGUCHI
4. Sleep Sound - Jamie xx
5. Inanimate Sensation - Death Grips

Honorable Mentions:

1. Hollow - Sylas
2. Mercy - Boots
3. #IDFWU - BIG SEAN

-------

Top Ten Albums of 2014:

1. Still Life - Dawn Golden
2. LP1 - FKA twigs
3. Worlds - Porter Robinson
4. How To Run Away - Slow Magic
5. Gone Girl - Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross
6. Alone For The First Time - Ryan Hemsworth
7. The Weird And Wonderful - Marmozets
8. I Am King - Code Orange
9. From Parts Unknown - Every Time I Die
10. Hohokum Original Soundtrack - Ghostly International

Honorable Mentions:

1. Void - RL Grime
2. Strangers - RAC
3. Forever - Mystery Skulls
4. Trouble In Paradise - La Roux
5. Broke With Expensive Taste - Azealia Banks

-------

Mixtape of 2014:

WinterSpringSummerFall - Boots

-------

EPs of 2014:

Feathering A Nest - Caddywhompus
No Reason - Giraffage
Ocean Death - Baths

-------

Split of 2014:

Full of Hell & Merzbow - Full of Hell & Merzbow

--------

Discoveries of 2014 (Not 2014 releases):

Letherette - Letherette
Aleph - Gesaffelstein

--------

Best Deluxe Edition Albums of 2014:

1. 1989 - Taylor Swift
2. The Pinkprint - Nicki Minaj
3. All This Bad Blood - Bastille

--------

Three Albums I Couldn't Find A Place For 2014:

1. Our Love - Caribou
2. Keep You - Pianos Become The Teeth
3. Too Shabby - Rozwell Kid

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Dude....

And who the hell are these people? I do know some, but damn. Too much pop, rap, and electro anyways.

Shy Hero

Adyman182

Tfw no care.
"Too much pop, rap, and electro anyways" says someone whose limited musicians on their profile include Blink 182 and U2; please check yourself.
If you don't know certain artists then look them up. I can guarantee that they're more musically talented (I can't use the word better because it's opinionated) than U2 or Blink 182.

Liberal Voter

8,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
hit vibes
Adyman182

Tfw no care.
"Too much pop, rap, and electro anyways" says someone whose limited musicians on their profile include Blink 182 and U2; please check yourself.
If you don't know certain artists then look them up. I can guarantee that they're more musically talented (I can't use the word better because it's opinionated) than U2 or Blink 182.

Oh I checked myself, and U2 are one of the greatest artist of all time. Blink 182 are also up there. But if you're gonna judge from a couple of bands (that are actually great but you just don't like them) that I put there a couple of years ago and use that to defend your post, then you really end up looking like a laughing stock. And if you're gonna use the word talent, I can respond you in two ways, but I don't feel like doing it since you listed Nicki Minaj and Big Sean (and no, this isn't your average pop hater, I don't mind Taylor Swift, for example) among others. I mean, I would understand if Opeth fan said to me that my music is too soft, but I just can't care about this conversation anymore. LOL

Shy Hero

Adyman182

Funny story, I am an Opeth fan believe it or not. I'm also into a lot of very technical heavier bands. U2 are not some of the greatest musicians of all time or anything relatively close to that. They've done nothing revolutionary or started any type of movement (unless being a douchebag that constantly wears sunglasses inside is a movement, Bono). Blink 182 I could see as being great artists because they have so many people looking up to them and I won't deny them that even though I don't like them.
Nicki Minaj is a great artist as is Big Sean that know how to play to hype and use their idiocy to create fun music for people to get numb and fun with. U2 just makes songs sucking The Ramones' dicks.

Liberal Voter

8,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
hit vibes
Adyman182

Funny story, I am an Opeth fan believe it or not. I'm also into a lot of very technical heavier bands. U2 are not some of the greatest musicians of all time or anything relatively close to that. They've done nothing revolutionary or started any type of movement (unless being a douchebag that constantly wears sunglasses inside is a movement, Bono). Blink 182 I could see as being great artists because they have so many people looking up to them and I won't deny them that even though I don't like them.
Nicki Minaj is a great artist as is Big Sean that know how to play to hype and use their idiocy to create fun music for people to get numb and fun with. U2 just makes songs sucking The Ramones' dicks.

I'm sorry, but what the ********. U2 influenced half of the modern alt rock bands of today, including Blink 182. The list is too ******** long, and you can see it on Wikipedia. And whether Nicki Minaj and Big Sean are parodies or not, it doesn't change the fact that their songs are way too simplistic to be at the top every damn year. Now how is U2 less talented? The Edge is one of the greatest ever. And U2 being one of the greatest is a fact. 22 Grammys, more than any band ever. Huge cultural influence. If anything, they had great talent for composition, and that's what matters. What's next, The Beatles sucked? Dark Side of The Moon was mediocre? OK Computer was awful? Give me a break. The other argument about talent, is that it doesn't matter, it's the sound that matters. I'd rather listen to ambient than grindcore or technical metal, and U2's sound was praised by critics. Now I could care more if Nicki Minaj is a great artist or not, but lol, you're dissing U2. Today, it's almost as if you're dissing The Beatles. It's all subjective, but.....lol. Just lol.

Shy Hero

Adyman182

The Beatles did suck. But them sucking doesn't make an ounce of difference of their inspiration to bands everywhere. I appreciate what they did though I don't appreciate their music.
Also, you're using Grammy Awards as a defense but Nicki Minaj also wins Grammy Awards?????
I literally don't care about what critics say, other people don't influence my opinions. The Edge was an alright album AT BEST. Dark Side Of The Moon was awesome, and OK Computer was phenomenal. I listen to more ambient than heavy stuff lmao. U2 is nothing like The Beatles influence-wise. They're garbage. And there's a huge difference in marketing. You see Radiohead, Beatles, Pink Floyd (especially DSOTM), Bob Marley, etc. shirts in places like frickin Wal-Mart because they were astoundingly influential and original. The difference between that and U2 is that U2 is a safety band. They do everything by the book and play to what's popular then leech off of other people's innovation.
Nicki Minaj, Radiohead, technical metal bands, grindcore bands, Pink Floyd, The Beatles (even though I don't like them), thousands of bands not U2 are making music that's original and good. I can definitely not say the same for U2.
Adyman182
Oh I checked myself, and U2 are one of the greatest artist of all time. Blink 182 are also up there. L

how old are you?

Liberal Voter

8,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
camuses
Adyman182
Oh I checked myself, and U2 are one of the greatest artist of all time. Blink 182 are also up there. L

how old are you?

How old were the critics that praised their albums? These aren't Paramore or Good Charlotte, we're talking about ******** U2 here! It's not like the rest of Gaia has incredible taste when every other user listens to 10's indie pop and rap. (And why the ******** am I talking about a band that's not even in my top 10? Oh yeah, because they influenced half of my top 10) And also, "greatest" is something that's a fact, and not a matter of taste. I probably should have used "best" because that's what you apparently understood.

hit vibes
The Beatles did suck. But them sucking doesn't make an ounce of difference of their inspiration to bands everywhere. I appreciate what they did though I don't appreciate their music.

I'm done. Do I really have to say much here? I mean, this is total opposite of Ultimate Guitar and YouTube forums. I knew Gaia was soft and weird, but damn. These are all opinions, but should I really care if you dislike U2 if you dislike The Beatles, if you dislike any band? I hope I'm done. At least you're fair when it comes to the things not judged by ears.....you respect The Beatles.....but not U2, well what the ********?

Quote:
Also, you're using Grammy Awards as a defense but Nicki Minaj also wins Grammy Awards?????

You know this isn't the only defense I can bring, but I figure if you like Nicki Minaj, then Grammys should mean something to you.

Quote:
I literally don't care about what critics say, other people don't influence my opinions.

That's all it is, an opinion. When I leave this thread, I will encounters thousands of other opinion. And most of them will say that they like The Beatles and U2.

Quote:
The Edge was an alright album AT BEST.

If you meant to say Achtung Baby, I can accept that. But if you wanted to say Joshua Tree, man, you're really different.

Quote:
U2 is nothing like The Beatles influence-wise. They're garbage. And there's a huge difference in marketing. You see Radiohead, Beatles, Pink Floyd (especially DSOTM), Bob Marley, etc. shirts in places like frickin Wal-Mart because they were astoundingly influential and original. The difference between that and U2 is that U2 is a safety band. They do everything by the book and play to what's popular then leech off of other people's innovation.
Nicki Minaj, Radiohead, technical metal bands, grindcore bands, Pink Floyd, The Beatles (even though I don't like them), thousands of bands not U2 are making music that's original and good. I can definitely not say the same for U2.

Even if you're right, this doesn't have to do much with anything. I mean, influence on bands that came after them. Whether U2 copied or not doesn't matter, Radiohead (my 2nd favorite band at the time) stole a lot too, but when you hear a Bloc Party song, or a Coldplay song etc. you can't help but think U2. If anything, just The Edge's guitar sound was a big influence on the later bands. And lol, original and good. I care less about originality if the band is good. And U2 were good. But it's all subjective. Excuse me while I go back to metalheads bashing me for being too soft in the first place.
Adyman182
camuses
Adyman182

how old are you?

How old were the critics that praised their albums? These aren't Paramore or Good Charlotte, we're talking about ******** U2 here! It's not like the rest of Gaia has incredible taste when every other user listens to 10's indie pop and rap. (And why the ******** am I talking about a band that's not even in my top 10? Oh yeah, because they influenced half of my top 10) And also, "greatest" is something that's a fact, and not a matter of taste. I probably should have used "best" because that's what you apparently understood..

honestly? seek help.
the fact that you can even think a band can be objectively called the best, really? u2 influenced who? all the shitty bands that 40 year old white guys listen to? jesus christ shut the ******** up.

Shy Hero

Adyman182

I can honestly not see anything from Bloc Party influenced by U2. And if you say stealing doesn't matter then Coldplay stole from them and made it infinities better than U2 could dream of.
I can not trust a guitar sound counting as influence. If you look around at music, there are people using the same guitar sounds without knowing who the other band even is. It's stupid to say that "their guitar sounds like this, and this band's guitar sounded like this afterward, they were definitely a huge influence on this band."
That is the most redundant way of thinking I've ever had the displeasure of interacting with in my life and if it works that way it's practically making every band inspired by every other band in some sort of weird Ouroboros.
And I don't think Radiohead stole at all. If they did steal anything it was probably something like a chord they really liked and then they ran with it, which could actually not be seen as stealing unless they had the definite intent to sound like the song they stole it from. I haven't found any songs that sound like theirs though.
Also what??? The Grammy Awards don't mean anything to me. Me liking an artist doesn't have to make me like the awards their getting or the award shows that they're on. That's a very stupid chain of events. You're the one who brought up the Grammy Awards in the first place by saying U2 has 22 "more than any other artist" and that only makes me believe that Grammy Awards mean something to you.
Ultimate Guitar and YouTube forums?? I'm laughing. You act like any forum is more valid than another. That's very untrue, there are going to be people that disagree with you everywhere you go, and calling an entire website weird because two people disagree with you is so close-minded and it will definitely work to your disadvantage because I guess you'll be staying mentally and musically 12 for the rest of your life.
And just a follow up statement regarding you saying that influence doesn't really have anything to do with anything, that's precisely what makes a band quality enough for a best band. If you can't see that then you may need some professional help.
Hope you find it.

U2 doesn't mean shit, motherfucker.

Liberal Voter

8,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
hit vibes

I can honestly not see anything from Bloc Party influenced by U2. And if you say stealing doesn't matter then Coldplay stole from them and made it infinities better than U2 could dream of.

Wait, you really aren't against alt rock, you're really just against U2. Which is funny because they aren't even in my top 10, and if you saw the rest of my list, you'd probably like it. But they influenced many bands, so what the ********?

You can not see anything? Well try hearing. The Edge's guitar sound is in most alt rock bands these days. Even if you can't hear it in Bloc Party, there are other countless bands.

Quote:
I can not trust a guitar sound counting as influence. If you look around at music, there are people using the same guitar sounds without knowing who the other band even is. It's stupid to say that "their guitar sounds like this, and this band's guitar sounded like this afterward, they were definitely a huge influence on this band."
That is the most redundant way of thinking I've ever had the displeasure of interacting with in my life and if it works that way it's practically making every band inspired by every other band in some sort of weird Ouroboros.

I just have to disagree on this one. If anything, try hearing from the bands themselves, on who were their biggest influences. Search for bands that U2 influenced, it's that easy.

Quote:
And I don't think Radiohead stole at all. If they did steal anything it was probably something like a chord they really liked and then they ran with it, which could actually not be seen as stealing unless they had the definite intent to sound like the song they stole it from. I haven't found any songs that sound like theirs though.

Eh, I've seen a lot of comment that said Radiohead stole from Kraftwerk, Aphex Twin, Wolfmother, Neu, DJ Shadow, The Pixies, and many of their other influences. I'll be glad if that isn't true, but I don't care. It doesn't matter if the band copies, it's about making that perfect sound, that mixture of styles, that weres supposedly invented before them.

Quote:
Also what??? The Grammy Awards don't mean anything to me. Me liking an artist doesn't have to make me like the awards their getting or the award shows that they're on. That's a very stupid chain of events. You're the one who brought up the Grammy Awards in the first place by saying U2 has 22 "more than any other artist" and that only makes me believe that Grammy Awards mean something to you.

You're not gonna strike a chord with me if you say a random unknown band with mixed reactions is better than a great band with a big legacy. I usually bring up critics when discussing. And I did, but you said you don't care about the critics. So basically, this only leaves your subjective opinion, which I can't change, but when I leave this thread. I'm still gonna hear way more positives about U2, or any other great bands you diss, than negatives. (well now it's a mixed reaction with that iTunes scandal but whatever)

Quote:
Ultimate Guitar and YouTube forums?? I'm laughing. You act like any forum is more valid than another. That's very untrue, there are going to be people that disagree with you everywhere you go, and calling an entire website weird because two people disagree with you is so close-minded and it will definitely work to your disadvantage because I guess you'll be staying mentally and musically 12 for the rest of your life.

I would agree with you if that was true, but I had a lot of fights here (you wouldn't even rank in my top 100 feuds, simply because of your rare taste), but they usually evolved about a different cause than on UG or YT, that's the point. You bring up some opinions opposite of anything I've heard from a typical user, for example with The Beatles; I don't care if you dislike The Beatles if 95 out of 100 people like them. Same with U2. And that is pretty much the main point of this. You're telling me U2 sucks as if that's something the majority accepts. And now I should try to have a conversation with you; to conclude that hell has frozen over and pigs are flying? You have your opinions but I won't change mine, especially if the majority is with me.

Quote:
And just a follow up statement regarding you saying that influence doesn't really have anything to do with anything, that's precisely what makes a band quality enough for a best band. If you can't see that then you may need some professional help.
Hope you find it.

And here you suggest I get some professional help because of a subjective argument about a band? Alright, I see the deal. You probably didn't understand what I was trying to say, as English is not my primary language and I remember tripping up there. I was probably saying that kids wearing T-Shirt doesn't have a lot to do with the bands they influenced, and that what you said was going off-topic. That's all. But it's funny that a person that dislikes The Beatles and U2 and has a rare and unconventional taste is suggesting me something.

Liberal Voter

8,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
camuses
Adyman182
camuses
Adyman182

how old are you?

How old were the critics that praised their albums? These aren't Paramore or Good Charlotte, we're talking about ******** U2 here! It's not like the rest of Gaia has incredible taste when every other user listens to 10's indie pop and rap. (And why the ******** am I talking about a band that's not even in my top 10? Oh yeah, because they influenced half of my top 10) And also, "greatest" is something that's a fact, and not a matter of taste. I probably should have used "best" because that's what you apparently understood..

Quote:
honestly? seek help.

Just because I disagree with your opinion doesn't mean I should tell you to seek help. Again, I'm not talking about a random garage band, I'm talking about a band with a great legacy with great reception. I sound like a broken record, but what's next, The Beatles suck?

Quote:
the fact that you can even think a band can be objectively called the best, really?

No, that's not what I said. Read or ask again.

Quote:
u2 influenced who? all the shitty bands that 40 year old white guys listen to? jesus christ shut the ******** up.

LOL, what is up with the age thing here? Am I a teenager, and old guy, or middle aged according to you? Well no s**t, everyone belongs to a certain age group. So, what age group is superior? 70 year old people stuck in the 60's, or 20 year old metalheads in their moms' basements? You shut the ******** up. It's all subjective at the end of the day, really.

If you think U2 influenced shitty bands, you need to read that list again, because a lot of those bands are way better that The Edge, The Sunglasses Guy, and those two nobodies on rhythm. I'm saying that because I wouldn't be defending U2 that badly in the first place if it wasn't for those bands. And that includes bands like ******** Radiohead.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff