Welcome to Gaia! ::

1,100 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
I never thought I'd fire up a topic here, but curiosity got the best of me. That, and I've been on a real Yes kick as of late, a band I discovered back in 1996-1997, and still enjoy to this day. Their music and lyrical content never ceases to capture me and keep me in until it's finished. Of course, this lead me to find other bands I've wound up enjoying. Genesis (early/Gabriel-period especially), Kansas, Pink Floyd, The Earth Band (Manfred Mann), and even newer acts that reflect on the past styles with a new edge (Spock's Beard, Neal Morse, Proto-Kaw, and others).

While on a simpler level, two other bands I like, Ambrosia and Supertramp also fall into the overall genre, even if those two acts got quite popular by the late 1970s/early '80s and their music reflected that shift...their leanings and beginnings were in prog.

Then there's just the plain silly and fun which the likes of 10cc put out there.

Some people call it 'pretentious', others 'genius'. I just like to call it all 'prog rock' It spans many sub-genres (space rock, art rock, progressive metal, symphonic rock, and so on / so forth), but it bears several generalized traits.

-- Usually long, going anywhere from 4-5 minutes up to a half hour or longer for a single song.
-- Some riffs are classically leaning.
-- Heavy use of (especially back in the early 1970s) keys (organs, synths, etc) and often containing long solos of those and guitars.
-- Bear many different musical themes and styles, from the medieval and Renaissance period, the aforementioned classical styles, and all the way into the far reaches of the galaxy with spacy environments, painted by futuristic, synthetic sounds.
-- Lyrical themes that evoke and match all the above musical themes, often telling stories or creating mental imagery that takes one away to another world and time, or explore psychology, life's struggles, and other, more serious grounded themes.

Of course, the above is for the unknowing. Those who are already fans like myself, know all of this already.

Thus, I ask if there are others who enjoy this sort of music? If you do, grab those headsets, slip them on, dim the lights and crank up your choice of medium (vinyl, CD, mp3/iPod, etc) and let's go off to another world for awhile. smile Recommend other bands to peek into as well. One I will be trying out when I get time is Dream Theatre. Their drummer worked with Neal Morse on all his 2003-present solo material and is quite technical (in a loud, drum-banging sort of way rather than 'jazzy'), so I'm tempted to see what he did with his old band. Last I heard, he's no longer with them, which is a shame.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

1,100 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
I asked for folks who ARE into it, not those who wish to come in and troll my topic.

Actual discussion would be nice.

Edit: Whether one likes or dislikes this genre of music matters not. My bad.
Emperor Haruki-sama
I asked for folks who ARE into it, not those who wish to come in and troll my topic.

You posted on a public forum, full of people with opinions differing from your own. Expressing a negative opinion about something you like isn't trolling.

Prog Rock is boring.

1,100 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Okay, fair enough. I will admit I have to be in the mood for it, otherwise it can be boring, even to my ears.

Zealot

Emperor Haruki-sama

Protip: This is a bad argument and you will be told this multiple times after using it.

I like some prog rock, most of it is boring.

1,100 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Arbitrary Abstract
Emperor Haruki-sama

Protip: This is a bad argument and you will be told this multiple times after using it.

I suppose, such is the nature of the Internet. ^^;; Lesson learned.

I will agree, most can be boring. Especially some of the things done in the 1970s. I point to Yes' "Tales from Topographic Oceans" as a textbook example of excess. I have the software to do so when prepping mp3 files to take with me.....I find myself wanting to really edit down the four 20-minute songs down to their essential cores and ditch all the fluff and noodling.

Some albums, thankfully, like Pink Floyd's "The Wall" and "Dark Side of the Moon" have already done this....they're more like separate songs interconnected to a certain concept or theme. I find those more accessible these days since I can pick and choose what musical themes I want to hear.

It takes a certain sort of person and mindset. Most of the time I wind up having more mainstream styles of music (classic rock, and lots of '80s stuff) on in the background or may be what I'm listening to. Prog rock is a niche genre of music....always has been, always will be, and I'm fine with that.

devising's Husband

Im really into prog rock/Indie, a lot of my favorite bands are this genre.

I'd check out The Dear Hunter if i were you, they fit every description you put down. ;D

1,100 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
lssac Clarke
Im really into prog rock/Indie, a lot of my favorite bands are this genre.

I'd check out The Dear Hunter if i were you, they fit every description you put down. ;D

Thanks. I'll be sure to check them out.
Arbitrary Abstract
Emperor Haruki-sama

***** you wanna say that to my FACE?

I'm a huge prog. rock/prog. metal fan meself.

Zealot

Quarry To My Conscience
Arbitrary Abstract
Emperor Haruki-sama

Prog metal me gusta, prog rock is hit and miss for me. The first one of these is pcool, though, I'm diggin' it.

1,100 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Quarry To My Conscience
Arbitrary Abstract
Emperor Haruki-sama

Those are some good examples. Alan Parsons slipped past my mind, until you brought him (and his 'Project') up. He's the reason also why his work with Al Stewart (not prog, but he does long-winding storytelling-type songs with a folksy/light air to them), Pink Floyd (Dark Side), and Ambrosia (S/T debut), along with the Project's own albums are often considered top-notch works.

I have I Robot and Eye In the Sky.....need to get the rest. I often hear "Games People Play" on the radio station I have tuned in every day, but that's just one slice of the whole Turn of a Friendly Card album. They did concept albums, not necessarily with mind-bending 20-30 minute songs, but instead, songs that all come around to one plot or theme. Oddly I consider those in the progressive vein.

Thanks for the reminder.

Dangerous Prophet

Emperor Haruki-sama

Prog is ok, its good for a Rush

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas