Welcome to Gaia! ::

question

Magic Man-Lover

I'll only use an electric guitar, I don't like acoustic guitars :P

Big Wife

I think both have a beautiful sound when played melodically, but playing on electric makes it sound more technical in my opinion. I like listening to electric more than accoustic.
It really depends on what sound you enjoy more
I for one prefer the sound of an acoustic guitar

but I don't usually listen to one for enjoyment

Friendly Friend

Why not both?

If I had to choose though, I'd say electric. I'd take me a nice hollow body electric anyday. razz

Demonic Lunatic

Personally, I approach each differently and find both have their uses ... BUT, 90% of the time if I'm playing guitar it's an electric. Acoustic has a wonderful crystalline quality, but the sheer tonal options of electric (distortion, effects, etc) inspires me.

Gimmie Amplitube and an electric guitar and I'm busy for HOURS.
Electric only because you can hook up the amp and add pedals to it to make a one man band without too much hassle
Silly question.
It depends on what you want to do.
Most will advise that you start with a steel string acoustic. I didn't, but I understand the advice.
Nylon string acoustics sound really nice but you won't really build any finger strength with them.
Electric has a lot of options. Electric is fun.

As far as the one man band comment goes, I wouldn't say you can do it easily or without too much hassle.
Finding a good tone, getting good pedals, learning how to use pedals, and getting a good amp can take a little time and it can be a pain in the a**.
Don't let that deter you, but don't kid yourself into thinking it's easy to do either. At least to do well.
Each has their strengths and weaknesses. Acoustic is always better to learn on as it has the wider neck and bigger frets. Makes transitioning to Electric easier.
It depends on the song. ~
However, in general, I prefer electric guitars (classic rock).
Both are good, though. And there are some songs that sound good with acoustic, but electric tends to have a more energetic sound. (Bands like Guns N' Roses, Judas Priest)
That's just my opinion. ^__^

Wheezing Lunatic

8,500 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
That depends entirely on what you're playing.
I've always thought it was dumb how people think you have to choose.

Cultist

Well, were you going to get it just for practice, or to practice and play at parties or something?
Y'see, I first got an acoustic, but I play my electric way more often. I suppose I'd say an electric is better for learning.
You can do more tricks and things, aswell (easier to bend notes and such--depending on your strings)
Sure, it's quiet, but you can still hear enough to learn//play something.
And if you get an amp, you could just get one of those ones that you stick in and there's no cord, y'know. You could hear what you're playing just fine through one of those.
An acoustic, is sometimes more expensive as well.
I got my acoustic, brand new, Fender for around $130.
And I got my Fender Starcaster Strat (used, but in very good condition.. only a nick or two here and there) for nearly $70. And that's plus shipping from New York, otherwise it's only $40.
Now then, my uncle has played guitar for almost 43 years and he always told me, before I got my second guitar, just to buy something cheap you can learn on. And if you've taken a liking to what you've got goin' on there, you might get a new one, y'know. To upgrade, so to speak.

So I guess I'd have to say an electric. Unless you can find a well-enough acoustic for cheap, and use it for practice. Or even an alright electric. Just as long it's playable guitar (acoustic or electric), has a nice enough sound, and not totally expensive, you could get that I suppose.

Lonely Bloodsucker

7 String downtuned heart

Lonely Bloodsucker

ArikAnnihillation
7 String downtuned heart

Electric

Tipsy Girl

well i've never played either, but as far as sound goes, it really depends on my mood. acoustic is like the raw and back-to-basics kind of version of the electric guitar, so if i'm in an "amped up" kind of mood (pun completely intended) i like to listen to electric. smile but they both have a beautiful sound in their own way.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff