Welcome to Gaia! ::

Big Member

9,800 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
Consider the following scenario:

You're in a position whereby if you sacrifice yourself for a complete stranger, the stranger would live. Like, in a disaster or something.

Would you?

Why or why not?
No. I have no emotional connection to this stranger.
Because I have no emotional connection I feel no protective urges for this person.
Therefore they could die and I doubt I would lose much sleep over it.
If that was the ultimatum, me or them, than I think self preservation would win over.

Shy Hunter

7,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Member 100
Someone I don't know, no. My boyfriend? Probably. We've discussed similar subjects and he's always heavily advocated that I do whatever it takes to live.

Bloodthirsty Phantom

16,300 Points
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Partygoer 500
Just a random stranger? No, I don't know them at all so there's no emotional ties to take in consideration. Instead it's just some dude and I generally value my life over the life of some random person I've just met.

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Just one stranger? No. In that case, one person will live, it might as well be me (the other person could be a serial killer for all I know). 10 people? I like to think I would, though I might become paralyzed with fear in such a circumstance.
There are no individuals or any number of individuals that I would do so for.
I definitely wouldn't sacrifice myself to save 1 stranger. Maybe several strangers, like someone else said, but I can't put a value to how many lives I would trade for mine. I would like to think I might be able to throw my life away to save that of a loved one, but if push came to shove, I can't honestly say that I would for sure. I suppose this makes me look like a selfish coward with no honor or something, but I think I'm far more useful to the people I love alive than dead, and there's no dishonor in running away if it means I can fight another day.

Sparkly Lunatic

I believe that it is impossible to give a fully truthful answer to such an extreme hypothetical. People will try to remain truthful to themselves yes, but it's not possible to know until it happens.

Granted this is all hypotheticals so I may as well pitch in. I do not think I would die for said person, though I may try to help them. My loved ones love me too much for me to throw my life away.

Gaian

Smudged_Makeup
I believe that it is impossible to give a fully truthful answer to such an extreme hypothetical. People will try to remain truthful to themselves yes, but it's not possible to know until it happens.

This.

Interesting Seeker

Jazin Kay
Consider the following scenario:

You're in a position whereby if you sacrifice yourself for a complete stranger, the stranger would live. Like, in a disaster or something.

Would you?

Why or why not?

It would depend on the situation but if I had to help then yes.
Absolutely not. Egoism baby. I think the only time I'd sacrifice myself to save someone else would be if the person was my spouse or kid, or if I was suicidal anyway.

Ruthless Sex Symbol

12,825 Points
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
It would depend upon the preexisting situation. I have children - would they be protected and provided for it I died? If so then yes, I would die for another - but I need my children to be cared for. I would die for the children without a thought, but I do not feel I would be able to die for another and leave them alone.

In a hypothetical situation where I have no children, I would dive in to help the person and die in the process.

AcidStrips's Husband

Dangerous Conversationalist

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
I have moderate emotional consideration for strangers because of Samaritan values imbued upon me by my parents, though not stemming from religion.

Therefore, in a situation where sacrificing my life would save a person, rather than leap to a decision to sacrifice my own life, i would assess the risk to myself versus the person and seek a way in which to save us both, even if given a binary decision.

Dangerous Roisterer

4,275 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Depends. I might do it for a child, or for someone with far more potential in life than I, but not for your regular average Joe. I wouldn't just run off like a coward, though. I'd apologize, and let him know that I wanted to save him, but I just couldn't. Hopefully he would understand.
It depends on the situation. heart

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces