Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ananel
pyrovago1334
yes... i hope they use your idea for disbanding religion... religion is so ******** up... noone has given me one shred of proof that any religion has backing behind it...

Look harder. I mean, seriously, your jaded opinions and experiences are not the sum total of the world's criteria for what stays and goes, and I see no particular reason to subject myself to your own personal chip on your shoulder.

Look at "disproving god" thread, Ananel. You will wish you were never born to read it.
Adonay
Ananel
pyrovago1334
yes... i hope they use your idea for disbanding religion... religion is so ******** up... noone has given me one shred of proof that any religion has backing behind it...

Look harder. I mean, seriously, your jaded opinions and experiences are not the sum total of the world's criteria for what stays and goes, and I see no particular reason to subject myself to your own personal chip on your shoulder.

Look at "disproving god" thread, Ananel. You will wish you were never born to read it.

What? So I can wretch at the half-assing most of those threads turn out to be? *spits* I'm not inclined to increase my cynicism another notch tonight, thank you very much.

Edit: I went, moron that I am, and my cynicism went up more than one notch. God, I'm actually surrounded by idiots.
End religion...everyone does whatever they like. Sounds really nice. A few things:

First off, religion can be a mechanism for manipulation. Not on the whole, but anyone who watches early sunday programming out of morbid curiousity can see for themselves. Medieval times, witch burnings, nazis, faith healers, what have you--manipulating large crowds of the easily swayed. I could go on until I'm blue in the face about it.

Second, I saw you live in America, Skii. Note that our noble constitution states that we have freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion! Semantics. Yeah.

Lastly, I believe that organized religion is necessary for the giant cell organism that is the entire human race. Any god and the tenants of said religion are the great big nucleus. It's necessary for the way of life as it is today. Until individual humans are able to sustain life without toiling and can go wherever they please with no danger or suffering and no one to answer to and trust wholly in an innate sense of balance and perfection that must first be empirically true, there will always be religion.

By the way, I'm a deist. No churches for my sort! Kind of wish there were.
lthough I think that religion did many things we shouldn't force people to give it up, if they would choose for it themselves then like sure what the heck! but when we disband it, it wouldn't work since I don't think I know a single "believer" whowouldn't go to their community.
Silvernail
End religion...everyone does whatever they like. Sounds really nice. A few things:

First off, religion can be a mechanism for manipulation. Not on the whole, but anyone who watches early sunday programming out of morbid curiousity can see for themselves. Medieval times, witch burnings, nazis, faith healers, what have you--manipulating large crowds of the easily swayed. I could go on until I'm blue in the face about it.

Anything can be a tool for manipulation if used by the mass populace. Your complaint is more with the human condition and its capacity to be swayed en masse than something unique to religious institutions.

To avoid this, humanity would have to either change its inherent nature to negate group think or never come together in large groups again, neither of which is remotely plausible.

Silvernail
Lastly, I believe that organized religion is necessary for the giant cell organism that is the entire human race. Any god and the tenants of said religion are the great big nucleus. It's necessary for the way of life as it is today. Until individual humans are able to sustain life without toiling and can go wherever they please with no danger or suffering and no one to answer to and trust wholly in an innate sense of balance and perfection that must first be empirically true, there will always be religion.

By the way, I'm a deist. No churches for my sort! Kind of wish there were.

And considering my views in accord with Thomas Hobbes, I am of the opinion that the time you mention will never come. It is not in human nature.
pyrovago1334

Right... and the "religious" following of scientific theory is perfectly alright. stare
As for getting rid of organized religion, I doubt that it would work, a building does not have to be labled a church, temple, mosque, or whatever for religious services to be held in it.
As for the distractions, anything can be distracting from people present or absent, to a smudge on the wall. So that argument is weak.
Annight
(snip) it is not a good idea to have no religion becacuse keeps hope alive in the world

Not everyone relies on religion for hope.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff