Welcome to Gaia! ::

Here's a quandry. Why do you worship who or what you worship? Is it for personal gain, to provide a sense of support, do you believe your divinities hear you? Thus bringing me to the second quandry, is how you worship important, do your god(s) and/or goddess(es) want things done a specific way, and why? I'm trying to make heads and tails out of a lot of religions right now and was just curious. Thanks.
Fiddlers Green
Here's a quandry. Why do we worship who or what we worship? Is it for personal gain, to provide a sense of support, do we even believe our divinities hear us? Thus bringing me to the second quandry, is how we worship important, do your god(s) and/or goddess(es) want things done a specific way, and why? I'm trying to make heads and tails out of a lot of religions right now and was just curious. Thanks.
How about 'because it seems the right path to take'? You know, that whole 'faith' thing...
Kalil Chernov
How about 'because it seems the right path to take'? You know, that whole 'faith' thing...

I'm happy for you. But how many people stand on tradition alone, without knowing or feeling why they do it....
I beleive that we were all given a choice for a reason and it would be utter sacrilage to our creation if we didn't use that choice.

The way I see it, We're all looking up at something...Let's say a 20 sided Dice. We are all looking at that D20 and each of us see a differant number...but it's the same die right? You can pretend to see a differant number but you are only lying to yourself.

What I never understood is why there has to be only one "right" Answer. Maybe we're all right but we're too busy going at one another's throats to realize it.
Summoner_Aiona
I beleive that we were all given a choice for a reason and it would be utter sacrilage to our creation if we didn't use that choice.

The way I see it, We're all looking up at something...Let's say a 20 sided Dice. We are all looking at that D20 and each of us see a differant number...but it's the same die right? You can pretend to see a differant number but you are only lying to yourself.

What I never understood is why there has to be only one "right" Answer. Maybe we're all right but we're too busy going at one another's throats to realize it.

So what makes you think the die analogy is accurate. Sometimes there is only one right answer. 2 + 2 = 4. 17 is not an acceptable response.
I worship in a reconstructive matter because it worked. I merely update it for the modern era. Why fix what ain't broken?
AyanamiRei

So what makes you think the die analogy is accurate. Sometimes there is only one right answer. 2 + 2 = 4. 17 is not an acceptable response.

Sometimes there is only one answer but I don't think that there is only one answer when it comes to religion. What makes you think the analogy isn't accurate? What makes you so sure that you have the one and only answer? Are you God?
Summoner_Aiona
AyanamiRei

Sometimes there is only one answer but I don't think that there is only one answer when it comes to religion. What makes you think the analogy isn't accurate? What makes you so sure that you have the one and only answer? Are you God?

Thinking there is only 1 right answer is as valid as thinking there are multiple answers.. be don't know and have no way of positively ascertaining which way is correct. No need to be defensive.
Summoner_Aiona
AyanamiRei

Personally, I think you are wrong from my experiences with various Gods.

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Fiddlers Green
Why do we worship who or what we worship? Is it for personal gain, to provide a sense of support, do we even believe our divinities hear us?

This is actually a two part question: 1) Why do people who have faith have it and 2) Why do people of faith worship different gods.

As near as I can tell, from talking to those with and without faith, faith is not a matter of choice. Once can chose to behave as if one had faith, but the actual certainty of faith is denied. Faith seems to be a sensation of certainty where none could be logically found.

Now, as to why people chose different gods, it seems to have several aspects. One is which religions one comes in contact with. Locality seems to be a large determiner in basic worldview. Another is the natural inclinations of the individual. For instance, I find the idea of a deity which loves me unconditionally to be not at all helpful because I have an internal desire for improvement; in order to strive I need standards, and so naturaly I would gravitate toward a god or religious system that would give me that framework.

Fiddlers Green
Thus bringing me to the second quandry, is how we worship important, do your god(s) and/or goddess(es) want things done a specific way, and why?

There are wide variations, but one thing seems to remain constant: the focus is on the desires and wants of the gods, not the wants and desires of the humans, but should never put the humans in danger of poverty or death.
I think that we are misunderstanding one another. I'm not trying to be defensive. I just don't like to narrow things down like that. I don't think we would have been given a choice if there were not other choices to be made.

But you do have a point. Maybe there is only one....and maybe we are simply calling it differant things?
Maybe I should clarify. I'm asking about personal experiences. What you, that's right, you , the one reading this post do and why you do it. I've seen lots of discussions on the overarching theory, what I'm looking for is the specifics of your faith, why and how you interact with it. Sorry for the confusion... I could have worded the topic a little better....
Well Iam an Eclectic Wiccan...
i am what i am mostly cuz i think it is bullshit how poeple say that there is only ! god.... in other words, I am Polythestic. and i was before I was Wiccan. I take different forms of wicca like rituals and stuff, i study and practice how i want it isn't all that strict.... df'asjf'asdkjfamdjfasd'lfkja'sdlkfj;dlskj ******** kdlfj;lakdsjflakj

................................................... secret...^^^..... message......

buh by, ah buh bye now, buh bye...and hellz yeah im insane!
Pure-Wolf
Well Iam an Eclectic Wiccan...
i am what i am mostly cuz i think it is bullshit how poeple say that there is only ! god.... in other words, I am Polythestic. and i was before I was Wiccan. I take different forms of wicca like rituals and stuff, i study and practice how i want it isn't all that strict.... df'asjf'asdkjfamdjfasd'lfkja'sdlkfj;dlskj ******** kdlfj;lakdsjflakj

................................................... secret...^^^..... message......

buh by, ah buh bye now, buh bye...and hellz yeah im insane!

can't we have even one thread without a fluff? gonk
This is good question. Nice.

I worship my God (Jehovah) becauese that's how I was raised. Isn't that how it is for 50% of us?

I just kneel down and pray, you know? I like to talk rather personally.

I don't think that your method of worship matters, unless it involves human sacrifice, or..... something. O_o

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff