Welcome to Gaia! ::

Devoted Sex Symbol

I grew up Southern Baptist and they have a firm belief that women cannot be in ministry roles.
I'm guessing this belief stems from 1 Tim 2:11-14.
Personally I think those verses were only referring to the Ephesian women
what do you think about women in leadership roles in the church?

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
That Cat Who Eats Ramen
I grew up Southern Baptist and they have a firm belief that women cannot be in ministry roles.
Christianity was primarily spread by women and they ran churches, with Paul's endorsement. 1 Timothy is pseudepigrapha. I don't see women being any less capable than men in ministry roles.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Well, I never quite understood why any woman in her right mind who reads the bible would ever become or remain a Christian, period; but then again, a lot of people think differently than I do.

Aged Lunatic

Blood Valkyrie
Well, I never quite understood why any woman in her right mind who reads the bible would ever become or remain a Christian, period; but then again, a lot of people think differently than I do.

That whole not allowed to teach or hold authority over men thing, big cramp on one's job prospects.
rmcdra
That Cat Who Eats Ramen
Christianity was primarily spread by women and they ran churches, with Paul's endorsement. 1 Timothy is pseudepigrapha. I don't see women being any less capable than men in ministry roles.

I suppose 1 Corinthians is pseudepigrapha too?

Quote:

34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law.

35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

1 Corinthians 14: 34-35
Anne Widdicombe considers it inappropriate.

I don't really mind it.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Mark Twain 100
The idea that women can't have roles of leadership in Christian clergy is just another example of typical Biblical misogyny - though IMO the verses in question don't get the same free pass that Christians claim certain OT verses get for being part of an archaic culture.

Honestly, Paul is probably the worst thing that could have happened to Christianity.

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
Kaltros
rmcdra
That Cat Who Eats Ramen

I suppose 1 Corinthians is pseudepigrapha too?

Quote:

34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law.

35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

1 Corinthians 14: 34-35
No it's authentic Paul but the passage you quoted would be classified as an interpolation. Check the footnote in the link I provided.

Conservative Explorer

I think women had a much larger role in the church until Rome botched it when early Christians were trying join the in-crowd. XP
Ashenflame
I think women had a much larger role in the church until Rome botched it when early Christians were trying join the in-crowd. XP

Same goes for Islam. After Muhammad's death, Aisha became an insanely powerful woman both in terms of promoting her late husband's philosophies as well as in terms of her political/military power in the first three Caliphates.

Arcoon Effox
Honestly, Paul is probably the worst thing that could have happened to Christianity.

I don't disagree. Although we probably wouldn't have had Christianity in its current form without Paul.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
That Cat Who Eats Ramen
Women's place in the church

On her knees?

There are plenty of things in the Bible that people don't generally follow anymore, because culture has moved the ******** on.

This is one of those things where I think we can move past it again. No real excuse for women not to be in positions of religious authority.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Xiam
That Cat Who Eats Ramen
Women's place in the church

On her knees?

Go swim in an active volcano.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Mark Twain 100
Brothern
Arcoon Effox
I don't disagree. Although we probably wouldn't have had Christianity in its current form without Paul.
Would that really be such a bad thing...?

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
Brothern

Not too sure about that. The first major heretics, Marcion and Valentinus, that the budding Catholic church denounced claimed apostolic authority from Paul. Marcion's sect is also believed to have had female clergy.

Newbie Noob

That Cat Who Eats Ramen
I think they can do a fine job of leading other women in the kitchen.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff