19,025 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Rat Conqueror 500
Lucky~9~Lives
vwytche
Lucky~9~Lives
vwytche
Oh yeah, like the OP of THIS thread that you set such store by wasn't blatently plagerized from a single site.

Which site?

That would be "Wicca for the rest of us", which actually isn't a bad site at all. [The links in to OP don't work b/c the URL has changed so here it is for any who are interested.

http://wicca.cnbeyer.com

Thanks, but it's not plagiarism if the OP cites the site.

Granted she does cite it, but the info is presented in a format that implies it is the OP's authorship. That makes it kind of grey. At any rate, both threads cited their source, and the CBed one did so much more clearly. Yet a select few condemn it for "plagerism". When I said plagerism, I was leaning toward the standard of the the word that was used in the two posts I was responding to. But I take your meaning.

Friendly Phantom

I'm currently sifting through the several books that I've collected over the last two years as I've studied Wicca and Neo-Paganism. I've been rather confused to what I could "classify" myself as for a while. I knew I had to be initiated to become a Wiccan, though I had thought (wishful thinking perhaps?) that one could also be an Eclectic Solitary Wiccan without the initiation.

I'm referring to the book "Solitary Wicca: For Life" by Arin Murphy-Hiscock. While reading, the author seemed to speak as if the reader was not in a coven and had not been initiated. Though now after reading this thread I'm unsure. I feel almost as if I need to re-read this book once more, goodness.

By worshiping the God and the Goddess Anubis and Bastet. Though it seems I also use similar things on my altar to that of Wiccan tradition. Does this qualify me as a Neo-Pagan or some Eclectic Occultist?

I perhaps would like a little clearing up?

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
artemislee
I'm currently sifting through the several books that I've collected over the last two years as I've studied Wicca and Neo-Paganism. I've been rather confused to what I could "classify" myself as for a while. I knew I had to be initiated to become a Wiccan, though I had thought (wishful thinking perhaps?) that one could also be an Eclectic Solitary Wiccan without the initiation.

I'm referring to the book "Solitary Wicca: For Life" by Arin Murphy-Hiscock. While reading, the author seemed to speak as if the reader was not in a coven and had not been initiated. Though now after reading this thread I'm unsure. I feel almost as if I need to re-read this book once more, goodness.

By worshiping the God and the Goddess Anubis and Bastet. Though it seems I also use similar things on my altar to that of Wiccan tradition. Does this qualify me as a Neo-Pagan or some Eclectic Occultist?

Both religions that you're taking from fall under the Neo-pagan umbrella. So yes you would be a Neo-pagan. Eclectic Neo-pagan if you wanted to get more specific. That's generally the title used. Though I'm curious as to how much you take from Wicca while using Kemetic deities.

Friendly Phantom

X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Both religions that you're taking from fall under the Neo-pagan umbrella. So yes you would be a Neo-pagan. Eclectic Neo-pagan if you wanted to get more specific. That's generally the title used. Though I'm curious as to how much you take from Wicca while using Kemetic deities.

At this point I'm unsure that I'm actually using anything from Wicca any longer. I honor Bastet as the "Maiden, Mother, and Crone" and follow the Sabats that are in Wicca (Yule, Samhain, Beltane, Mabon are a few). Perhaps I should shift my focus to honoring the Egyptian ones more so... Though I've become quite fond of the way I worship and practice.

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
artemislee
At this point I'm unsure that I'm actually using anything from Wicca any longer.
Its still possible to be influenced by Wiccan practices by using the non-oathbound practices (being dithiestic, Wheel of the Year, ect.)

Quote:
I honor Bastet as the "Maiden, Mother, and Crone"
cat_gonk cat_emo Bast isn't anywhere close to falling into the Triple Goddess category.

Quote:
Perhaps I should shift my focus to honoring the Egyptian ones more so... Though I've become quite fond of the way I worship and practice.
People have done it. Its called Tameran Witchcraft. Its a mix of Outer Court Wicca material and Kemetic deities.

Friendly Phantom

X-Yami-no-Ko-X
cat_gonk cat_emo Bast isn't anywhere close to falling into the Triple Goddess category.

Eh heh, I do know that. I view it in a different light I suppose. I viewed it as more of the different phases of life. I have read that she represented fertility (mother) and watched over childbirth (maiden). She is also wise (crone). That, however is my interpretation from what I read. Perhaps I misspoke and also didn't fully understand the Triple Goddess. I had thought it meant the stages of life, from beginning to end. Thus I associated Bast with that concept.

And thank you for the reply! It was very helpful! I will be looking that up shortly!

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
artemislee
Eh heh, I do know that. I view it in a different light I suppose. I viewed it as more of the different phases of life. I have read that she represented fertility (mother) and watched over childbirth (maiden). She is also wise (crone). That, however is my interpretation from what I read. Perhaps I misspoke and also didn't fully understand the Triple Goddess. I had thought it meant the stages of life, from beginning to end. Thus I associated Bast with that concept.
While yes Bast became the protector of mothers and children, She was more well known for being a warrior, an Eye of Ra (and cats). Aset was more known for fertility than Bast was. And wisdom was Seshat.

Quote:
And thank you for the reply! It was very helpful! I will be looking that up shortly!
You're welcome.

Eloquent Bloodsucker

artemislee

Of course she wrote as if the reader was not in a coven; the title is "Solitary Wicca for Life" wink

AFAIK, Arin Murphy-Hiscock is not a Wiccan. She's a member of Ravenwolf's Chocolate Cake Black Forest clan, which isn't Wicca, it's Ravenwolf's own brand of Paganism. Personally I hold Ravenwolf's Paganism in some distaste based on Ravenwolf's teachings, but I don't know what it's like outside of her books. It might be really interesting, for all I know, but even if it is, it's not Wicca.

I don't know if what A M-H is writing about in that particular book is Black Forest brand Paganism, or her own variation. Either way, it might really appeal to you, and that's fine. It's not Wicca but it could be a great fit for you otherwise. But I'm not sure if rereading the book will lend you any further wisdom regarding Wicca.

As an aside, I've read one of A M-H's books, about home-based witchcraft, and thought it was pretty good. The odd thing I found disagreeable, but generally I was pleased with it. I cannot make any sort of comment on what her Neo-Pagan work is like.

Questionable Shapeshifter

19,025 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Rat Conqueror 500
artemislee

This should clear it up. This thread was sourced from a site call Wicca For The Rest of us. The links in the OP no longer work due to a change of addrress so here is a current one.

http://wicca.cnbeyer.com/redirect.shtml

The owner and author of this site is a solitary eclectic, ie non-initiated, non-gardenean Wicca. This can be seen here.

http://wicca.cnbeyer.com/bio.shtml

In other words, the OP of this thread borrowed liberally from the work of a solitary eclectic, and then added her own opinion about solitaries and eclectic not even being Wicca. I won't comment on the level of disrespect there.

Anyway, the "if it ain't gardner, it ain't Wicca" stance is one that is embraced by gardenians and there supporters and no one else. They would like it very much if everyone else would buy it, jst as just about every religion would like it if everyone believed their version of the "truth". Don't worry about them. No matter what your choices are, religious and otherwise, there's always going to be a group of people with nothing better to do than judge you for it, and petetion you to change to please them. People not happy with their own lives are are busy trying run yours. Walk your own path and Goddess guide you on it. heart

I am alway available for PM to answer questions, offer help, or just moral support. biggrin

Shameless Heckler

12,225 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Having followed this thread since it was first written I feel that this article from witchvox is particularly appropriate to the m&r ED community for which 'debating' in threads on Wicca is a perennial pastime.

What is a witch war?

Newbie Noob

850 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
  • Dressed Up 200
So... You cannot be a true wiccan if you practice alone?

Eloquent Bloodsucker

YucaSama

It's sort of more that if you're practising alone, what you're practising isn't Wicca. By the nature of Wicca, it's something you do in a group, a very particular sort of group that does things in specific ways.

I don't like the phrase "true Wiccan" in this sort of sentence because it sort of sounds like you're failing to live up to something. When really what you're doing you might be doing perfectly well. You can't measure what non-Wiccans do by the Wiccan yardstick, because they're different things with different requirements and so on.

19,025 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Rat Conqueror 500
YucaSama

That's a load of bull. The whole OP of this thread is sourced from this site:

http://wicca.cnbeyer.com/redirect.shtml

Which is owned, written and run by a solitary eclectic Wicca, as can be seen here:

http://wicca.cnbeyer.com/bio.shtml

The whole OP os pretty mudh C/Ped from this page and its links:

http://wicca.cnbeyer.com/wicca101/index.shtml

Except for the bit about solitary practice being invalid.

So basically, the original poster borrowed all of the work of a solitary, added her own bigoted lie about the validity of solitary practice, and then proclaims the this lady is correct about everything EXCEPT the validity of solitary practice. Pay it no mind. It is just the biased opinion of a small but vocal minority that can not get it through their heads that other people's religious choices are none of their damned business.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
vwytche
The whole OP of this thread is sourced from this site:

Please cite the pages that the OP comes from.
The OP, as it is, is the culmination of about three year's discussion on the forums about five years ago.

vwytche
Which is owned, written and run by a solitary eclectic Wicca, as can be seen here

Appeal to irrelevant authority.
If I call myself a solitary eclectic Supreme Court Judge, doesn't make it so and it ceratainly doesn't mean that I can comment on the process of becoming a Supreme Court Judge.

vwytche

That's an out and out lie.

vwytche
It is just the biased opinion of a small but vocal minority that can not get it through their heads that other people's religious choices are none of their damned business.

With all due respect, you're wrong.
We're not saying your religious choice is wrong, we're saying that what you're calling it is wrong.

19,025 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Rat Conqueror 500
CuAnnan
vwytche
The whole OP of this thread is sourced from this site:

Please cite the pages that the OP comes from.
The OP, as it is, is the culmination of about three year's discussion on the forums about five years ago.

vwytche
Which is owned, written and run by a solitary eclectic Wicca, as can be seen here

Appeal to irrelevant authority.
If I call myself a solitary eclectic Supreme Court Judge, doesn't make it so and it ceratainly doesn't mean that I can comment on the process of becoming a Supreme Court Judge.

vwytche

That's an out and out lie.

vwytche
It is just the biased opinion of a small but vocal minority that can not get it through their heads that other people's religious choices are none of their damned business.

With all due respect, you're wrong.
We're not saying your religious choice is wrong, we're saying that what you're calling it is wrong.

1. I DID provide citation. Open your eyes and you'll see that half my post is links.

2. What she calls herself is not the issue. The issue was that The OP was disrespectful enough to use the work of a solitary and then malign her and all other solitaries in the same post. She present tne info as accurate, EXCEPT where it disagrees with her, giving a pretty clear picture of her morals, her persoanl agenda, and the truth of the matter.

3. I fail to see any proof or citation of your claim that I am Lying, or your claim that this thread is in fact the result of lengthy discussions. It does beg the question however, if the truth of the matter is sooooo obvious, why did it take three years of discussion to arrive at? Anyway, I await your citations, unless that is just a requirement you have on others, and fail to adhere to yourself.

4. What to call one's religion and one's self as a member of it IS a religious choice, dear heart. So, thanks very much for proving my point by demonstrating publicly a perfect example of exactly the behavior I was describing. Now, why don't you take yourself, your unsoliciated opinion, and your big nose and do all jump in the bloody loch. When I want you to tell me what desisions I may and may not make in my own life I will be sure to let you know, as I am sure, will anyone else.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff