Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Mystic

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. Teenagers.
Aporeia

Dapper Reveler

"No one can conceive the variety of feelings which bore me onwards, like a hurricane, in the first enthusiasm of success. Life and death appeared to me ideal bounds, which I should first break through, and pour a torrent of light into our dark world. A new species would bless me as its creator and source; many happy and excellent natures would owe their being to me. No father could claim the gratitude of his child so completely as I should deserve theirs."

Shameless Mystic

Fermionic
Aporeia

I would also have accepted a Nirvana song.
Aporeia
Fermionic
Aporeia

I don't like Nirvana.

Shameless Mystic

Fermionic
Aporeia
Fermionic
Aporeia

I don't like Nirvana.
I'm really hoping you got the reference.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Aporeia

Aporeia
Fermionic
Aporeia
Fermionic
Aporeia

I don't like Nirvana.

It's fairly unlikely that that is the case, unless it was "Smells like teen SPIRIT".
Sir McQuackers
I'm going to admit here that I have next to zero knowledge of what Wicca practices or preaches. Lately, I've noticed a pattern of Wiccans (mostly female) who are "openly" bisexual and I can't seem to find any info that would suggest a connection between the two. My only theory is that both are rebellious phases that the individuals go through. Please enlighten me if you've seen this pattern too or have an alternative explanation/theory.

BTW: I get the rebellious vibe since Wiccans sometimes refer to themselves as Neo-Pagans. Since the word Pagan is to refer to any followers that don't share the same god as the Abrahamic religions, it wouldn't make sense to call yourself something that seems discriminate.

Well, Wicca has no taboos regarding homosexuality which is is an attractive part of Wicca - it doesnt tell how to have your love affairs. And without fear of sinning Wiccans are more likely to embrace their sexuality. It's also a religion that pretty much forces you to confront the repressed aspects of self.

Btw that not why neo-pagan is used over pagan. The Abramics coined that definition of Pagan, the original meaning being "country dweller". Neo means "new" in that you aren't a strict reconstructionist.
Hexatonic Scale
Sir McQuackers
Dizzy_Solace
Sir McQuackers
Dizzy_Solace
the connection between the two is sluts, and wiccans are stupid lol
edit: yes its prolly related to anti-culture
So, I'm not the only one who's seen a pattern?
its a 'religion' that claims to actually be able to summon spirits or do magic, and it says it has sex in some rituals or something if I remember correctly. So, because of this they want to try a practical religion perhaps, but at the same time the stuff it falsely claims it can do happens to be against abrahamic religions, puritans and specific verses and everything. I would bet most wiccans are female converts. Hence also, why bisexualism is high. And it dealing with taboos, where other religions make those taboos taboos, its like a child being allowed to swear, of course it has that sort of appeal. But the stupidity comes in at the 'practical' part lol. I hear they also like to roleplay for magic lol. Making it seem more real aparantly is directly proportional to it being real rolleyes (more effective magic) lol
I sorta understand the sexual magic part, there's a couple of cults that practice it. But from what it sounds like, it seems very rooted in rebellion. A serious religion, imo, should not take it's pride in that...unless you're Laveyist...I guess.

If you're talking about eclectic "Wicca", then I would guess it's just a coincidence or sampling bias. There are a great many people who would say that they are Wiccan who are straight, gay, bisexual, pansexual, etc...

If you're speaking of Gardnerian Wicca sometimes called British Traditional Wicca, then it's a sex cult, but all the rituals involving sex are strictly heterosexual sex. According to their myth, the sun/God pursued the moon/Goddess, but the Goddess turned away. The God then subdued the Goddess to show her what love is, if I'm remembering correctly.

So, while there is no requirement for a BTW follower to be straight, all of the rituals involve males pairing with females.

BTW is actually pretty horrible when dealing with gender and any sort of transsexuality for probably obvious reasons.

But yeah, I'm going to say that it's poor sampling and confirmation bias.

Eh it just doesnt fit the praxis. People often forget that BTW is a specific way of doing ceremonial magick. You follow it like you would a grimoire. Changing the variables has a huge impact on the atmosphere of the right. Unfortunately, by the time you adapt the rites to account for a trans element you've probably changed a significant part of the praxis and gotten away from the particular dynamic of duality Wicca operates on. You could do it and call it whatever but it wouldn't be BTW. Now you could have two trans people who are at just the right point of the spectrum individually that when together they create that kind of dynamic but that's alchemy right there, and even so if the whole coven isn't feeling it your going to have a bad time. And frankly that's not where the strengths of a trans individual are, they have a magick all their own. Of course as long as you aren't an HP, an HPs or a disturbance to the force... it inst likely to be an issue.

It's why being two-spirit I'll never be a good candidate for acting HP. I have my own practice for that nature though. I do feel however that this is short-sided on Wicca's part. I wouldn't change the core but do feel there should be an expand praxis for these situation which works as an extension of and not change to the core. For example you could have some of both genders work as a third wheel to the HP And HP on certain occasions. It would be great to have a representation of the Dryghten at times. Likewise, we could have rites for conjunctions of Sol and Luna

Not every is going to like this but if the extra material is optional and doesnt conflict with core praxis I dont see the issue.

Duremian Demigod

20,375 Points
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Team Moira 200
DracoJesi
Sir McQuackers
I'm going to admit here that I have next to zero knowledge of what Wicca practices or preaches. Lately, I've noticed a pattern of Wiccans (mostly female) who are "openly" bisexual and I can't seem to find any info that would suggest a connection between the two. My only theory is that both are rebellious phases that the individuals go through. Please enlighten me if you've seen this pattern too or have an alternative explanation/theory.

BTW: I get the rebellious vibe since Wiccans sometimes refer to themselves as Neo-Pagans. Since the word Pagan is to refer to any followers that don't share the same god as the Abrahamic religions, it wouldn't make sense to call yourself something that seems discriminate.

Well, Wicca has no taboos regarding homosexuality which is is an attractive part of Wicca - it doesnt tell how to have your love affairs. And without fear of sinning Wiccans are more likely to embrace their sexuality. It's also a religion that pretty much forces you to confront the repressed aspects of self.

Btw that not why neo-pagan is used over pagan. The Abramics coined that definition of Pagan, the original meaning being "country dweller". Neo means "new" in that you aren't a strict reconstructionist.
Erm actually Gardner did have a lot of...prejuidice against homosexuals during the time he wrote Witchcraft Today and History of Witchcraft. He developed the rituals to be only done between a male initiate and female High Priestess, and a male High Priest and female initiate. Not to mention they're sexual in nature being that they show how fertility works in nature.

Also I think you're confusing LaVeyean Satanism with Wicca :S

Where's scorplett when you need her >.>
Astra Green
DracoJesi
Sir McQuackers

Erm actually Gardner did have a lot of...prejuidice against homosexuals during the time he wrote Witchcraft Today and History of Witchcraft. He developed the rituals to be only done between a male initiate and female High Priestess, and a male High Priest and female initiate. Not to mention they're sexual in nature being that they show how fertility works in nature.

Where's scorplett when you need her >.>

I never said the rituals weren't meant to be heterosexual.
These "prejudices" are debatable. If he was homophobic, by all counts it was an actual phobia, not some prejudiced viewpoint. It's said that he supposedly struggled with this his entire life.
Regardless, that's not why the rites were written the way they were. There's more thought that went into the praxis than that. There are plenty of BTW's who dont always agree with Gardner and whom have no prejudices or phobias on the matter but realize why it is done that way.

Thats not to say sex and gender are the same though. They aren't.

Quote:

you wish dramallama ninja
First of all, Wiccans are Pagans but not all Pagans are Wiccans. I'm Pagan, but not Wiccan.

Also, Ecleticism is the rejection of dogma and doctrine in favour of hand-picking one's faith and practices, choosing what feels right for oneself rather than what was set by those who came before. The notion is pretty much criticised in more established faiths, (though I admit, Pope Francis makes me wonder if that will change in Catholicism) but 'New Age' faiths, under which many put Wicca, accept this more readily.

Now, there are actually three main branches within Wicca, Gardnerian, Alexandrian and Dianic, the earlier two are named after their founders, the third is named after Diana, known in the Greek Pantheon as Artemis, the maiden goddess of the moon and the hunt. This branch pretty much rejects male dominance and does indeed favour same-sex female relationships.

The thing that prompts Paganism to appeal to many in the modern age is the fact that sex, provided it is consensual, is not condemned. One thing that I want to point out here is that in Biblical times, women were married with kids by the time they are 20 (Mary was said to have been 14 when Gabriel visited her) we are living longer, but our biology has changed rather little, we reach physical maturity around the same time as we did then.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Sulina
Now, there are actually three main branches within Wicca, Gardnerian, Alexandrian and Dianic, the earlier two are named after their founders, the third is named after Diana, known in the Greek Pantheon as Artemis, the maiden goddess of the moon and the hunt.

Dianic isn't Wicca.
CuAnnan
Sulina
Now, there are actually three main branches within Wicca, Gardnerian, Alexandrian and Dianic, the earlier two are named after their founders, the third is named after Diana, known in the Greek Pantheon as Artemis, the maiden goddess of the moon and the hunt.

Dianic isn't Wicca.

Dianic is like a Christian cutting Jesus down the middle and throwing the other half away.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff