Welcome to Gaia! ::

xXZirkannia
Ayin the Younger
scacchic
Is he just inherently benevolent? By God, I mean the Judeo-Christian/Abrahamic God.

Let's not focus on one particular deity, but instead let's talk about a deity which is omnipotent, just for the sake of argument.

People say, absolute power corrupts absolutely, but I think we need to look beyond this silliness.

Let's say you had unlimited power, and were also immortal. What do you do?

Perhaps you do things to have fun at first. Perhaps you start to take out aggression on people. Perhaps you build yourself up and force people to serve you. You have absolute power, after all.

But eventually it all becomes boring. Making other people suffer, at least for me, even for people I really really hate, would become silly.

So I'd want to create things to make me happy. And then I'd think, it's kind of lonely, isn't it? Being the only happy one. So I'd start to give things to people I liked, and then, eventually, everyone. After all, there's no longer a zero sum game. I can be perfectly content as well as everyone else.

To be really silly, that's to say, if I want a pony, I can have one. And so can everyone else. Anyone who wants a pony, *pop* new pony for them.

So, in my mind, after millennia and millennia, anyone who has absolute power would eventually get bored with making everyone suffer, and would end up being absolutely benevolent.

Of course, maybe I'm just batshit insane.

Although,

Time is just a concept, or a means of measurement on earth. Outside of earth (that is, in the spiritual realm) the concept or limits of time are removed, and things just "exist." Without the need to fill or waste time, boredom would hardly be an issue.

But time is also a dimension, and it is the dimension that we not only use as a measurement, but also to talk of events past, present, future.
We also can't speak with certainty of anything outside of our realm, as they have not been observed (at least, not under proper scientific testing conditions).

Greedy Consumer

Exumer lives again
Admiral Dardanos
Exumer lives again
Admiral Dardanos
Exumer lives again
Somewhere in Exodus rolleyes c'mon now

Huh?

I've never read the bible. I imagine it would bore me to tears.
Oh okay. Quite literally judging a book by it's cover.

Not really. It's isn't like I'm not familiar with much of its contents. That's unfortunately unavoidable in this world. I was really just saying, as religions go, Christianity isn't exactly the most creative.
Christians didn't create the bible
Yeah the church just found bible versus with the hand of god and miraculously translated them and edited them with gods hand at work. Totally believeable.

Greedy Consumer

Lord Balmung of Azure Sky
xXZirkannia
Ayin the Younger
scacchic
Is he just inherently benevolent? By God, I mean the Judeo-Christian/Abrahamic God.

Let's not focus on one particular deity, but instead let's talk about a deity which is omnipotent, just for the sake of argument.

People say, absolute power corrupts absolutely, but I think we need to look beyond this silliness.

Let's say you had unlimited power, and were also immortal. What do you do?

Perhaps you do things to have fun at first. Perhaps you start to take out aggression on people. Perhaps you build yourself up and force people to serve you. You have absolute power, after all.

But eventually it all becomes boring. Making other people suffer, at least for me, even for people I really really hate, would become silly.

So I'd want to create things to make me happy. And then I'd think, it's kind of lonely, isn't it? Being the only happy one. So I'd start to give things to people I liked, and then, eventually, everyone. After all, there's no longer a zero sum game. I can be perfectly content as well as everyone else.

To be really silly, that's to say, if I want a pony, I can have one. And so can everyone else. Anyone who wants a pony, *pop* new pony for them.

So, in my mind, after millennia and millennia, anyone who has absolute power would eventually get bored with making everyone suffer, and would end up being absolutely benevolent.

Of course, maybe I'm just batshit insane.

Although,

Time is just a concept, or a means of measurement on earth. Outside of earth (that is, in the spiritual realm) the concept or limits of time are removed, and things just "exist." Without the need to fill or waste time, boredom would hardly be an issue.

But time is also a dimension, and it is the dimension that we not only use as a measurement, but also to talk of events past, present, future.
We also can't speak with certainty of anything outside of our realm, as they have not been observed (at least, not under proper scientific testing conditions).
Time isn't observed, change is, and patterns are. We use those patterns as something to keep track of the seasons, when to go to work, etc. Its not real more than a useful concept.

Adored Admirer

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Exumer lives again
I read somewhere that he is a God of War, so that may explain his hot-headed-ness.

Considering how they utilized His presence (see: Ark of the Covenant), I'd say yes, war god. He also really wanted them to fight people.

Dangerous Genius

Pseudo-Onkelos

Beautifully spoken.

Malevolent Phantom

10,450 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Champion 300
  • Mark Twain 100
scacchic

Because he loves you. biggrin

Dapper Reveler

scacchic
Why are your best interests good?
scacchic

It should be Judeo-Christian-Islamic (Abrahamic Religions) God

Beloved Prophet

5,500 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Who's to say He is or He isn't?

Abrahamic texts seem to suggest this god treats his creations like something expendable. Of course, when you're an omnipotent being with a rapidly multiplying world and universe around you, those creations really are a bit expendable. This is especially true in this pursuit for 'the big picture' for a few, special people.

Cause, you know. Not everybody could "get it", per say.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff