Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greedy Consumer

classic trashic
We Are Organisms
classic trashic
Vestri Umbra
classic trashic
I mean, who cares? it doesn't matter who's right anymore. all you do is fight with each other. it doesn't matter what you believe in. all that matters is how you act in life. whether you are atheists, or muslim, or christian, or anything, you should all be nice to each other. you'll be a lot happier.

I can't speak for everyone here, but many of us actually care about whats true. We want to share our beliefs and speak to others about them so that we may better each other and our understanding of the world. It's not about bashing. I'm not sure anyone in the ED truly hates or dislikes anyone else. We just disagree with each other.

"true"? no one knows what's true. you'll never know until you die, and if the atheists are right, or the reincarnation people right, then it will never be known. yall should just stop worrying about it and get on with your lives. there are much more important things in this world to worry about than whose beliefs are correct.
another thing. You are saying it doesnt matter who is right, lets move forward. Well religion says not to move forward sometimes. What do we do then? What I am trying to do is help move others forward. Religion doesnt care if we move forward or not, just that people believe. And forward Implies we all want the same thing with moving forward, which isnt true because we move forward differently based on our beliefs. So you saying belief doesnt matter is completely false.

i'm saying believe what you want, but don't put others down for being different than you. there's no sense in being an a*****e just because some people believe in a god whom you deem poppycock. let them have their god. you should respect them, just as they should respect you. people believe in a lot of silly things. you probably believe in some non-religious silly things. everyone does.
I try not to, is the difference. Some people believe in rascism, sexism, some people beleive in using elephant tusks to cure cancer, doesnt mean its even remotely true, and it hurts society for thinking that way.

AcidStrips's Husband

Dangerous Conversationalist

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
classic trashic
We Are Organisms
classic trashic
Vestri Umbra
classic trashic
I mean, who cares? it doesn't matter who's right anymore. all you do is fight with each other. it doesn't matter what you believe in. all that matters is how you act in life. whether you are atheists, or muslim, or christian, or anything, you should all be nice to each other. you'll be a lot happier.

I can't speak for everyone here, but many of us actually care about whats true. We want to share our beliefs and speak to others about them so that we may better each other and our understanding of the world. It's not about bashing. I'm not sure anyone in the ED truly hates or dislikes anyone else. We just disagree with each other.

"true"? no one knows what's true. you'll never know until you die, and if the atheists are right, or the reincarnation people right, then it will never be known. yall should just stop worrying about it and get on with your lives. there are much more important things in this world to worry about than whose beliefs are correct.
another thing. You are saying it doesnt matter who is right, lets move forward. Well religion says not to move forward sometimes. What do we do then? What I am trying to do is help move others forward. Religion doesnt care if we move forward or not, just that people believe. And forward Implies we all want the same thing with moving forward, which isnt true because we move forward differently based on our beliefs. So you saying belief doesnt matter is completely false.

i'm saying believe what you want, but don't put others down for being different than you. there's no sense in being an a*****e just because some people believe in a god whom you deem poppycock. let them have their god. you should respect them, just as they should respect you. people believe in a lot of silly things. you probably believe in some non-religious silly things. everyone does.

Respect is earned by virtue of respect shown. Aside from that, i would not respect my friend if i took everything or anything they said at face value.

To respect my friend is to respect their intelligence, and to respect their intelligence i challenge their beliefs when they are proposed.

Putting forward the idea that one subject is OK as long as it has the word "God" attached to it while others are off-limits despite having the same qualities is stupid.

I do far more credit, respect, and integrity by calling people out on their claims than i ever would by accepting them as true without speaking about it.

P.S.: Define "a*****e" and "Fighting" or surrender your argument as the one-sided bullshit that it is.

Greedy Consumer

classic trashic
We Are Organisms
classic trashic
Vestri Umbra
classic trashic

"true"? no one knows what's true.
I know that soda has high fructose corn syrup, that is true, so its possible to know what is true, which means people can know whats true.

my soda is sweetened with glucose-fructose. because there is a balanced fructose to glucose ratio, it is less likely to stimulate digestive pains in fructose intolerant people smile
corn is the main staple in america, so basically everything is made out of it.
Not exactly relevant to my point.

Yeah and soda is less likely to cause diabetes than pure sugar. Not much ******** difference actually. Actually soda might be worse too because of carbonation. So congrats, it hurts your intestines just a little bit less and less often.

8,175 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
We Are Organisms
classic trashic
We Are Organisms
classic trashic
Vestri Umbra
classic trashic

"true"? no one knows what's true.
I know that soda has high fructose corn syrup, that is true, so its possible to know what is true, which means people can know whats true.

my soda is sweetened with glucose-fructose. because there is a balanced fructose to glucose ratio, it is less likely to stimulate digestive pains in fructose intolerant people smile
corn is the main staple in america, so basically everything is made out of it.
Not exactly relevant to my point.

Yeah and soda is less likely to cause diabetes than pure sugar. Not much ******** difference actually. Actually soda might be worse too because of carbonation. So congrats, it hurts your intestines just a little bit less and less often.

the carbonation causes damage to your bones apparently. perrier water has the same effect.
low blood sugar is just as bad as high blood sugar as well, which is why these people who tell me "sugar is evil" also piss me off. they usually get scurvy, cuz most foods high in vitamin C are high in sugar.

8,175 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
stealthmongoose
classic trashic
We Are Organisms
classic trashic
Vestri Umbra
classic trashic

Respect is earned by virtue of respect shown. Aside from that, i would not respect my friend if i took everything or anything they said at face value.

To respect my friend is to respect their intelligence, and to respect their intelligence i challenge their beliefs when they are proposed.

Putting forward the idea that one subject is OK as long as it has the word "God" attached to it while others are off-limits despite having the same qualities is stupid.

I do far more credit, respect, and integrity by calling people out on their claims than i ever would by accepting them as true without speaking about it.

P.S.: Define "a*****e" and "Fighting" or surrender your argument as the one-sided bullshit that it is.

i have friends of all different religions and races. they tell me they are muslim, or christian, or atheist, or sikh, and i do not lose respect for them over that. people lose my respect when they start saying stupid s**t like, "all christians are evil" or "all atheists are evil". most of the people i hang out with now are nonpracticing "religious people. basically, they claim to be buddhist, or christian or whatever, but don't really do anything about it. or even atheists who just state they don't believe in god and do not go any further than that.

8,175 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
We Are Organisms
classic trashic
We Are Organisms
classic trashic
Vestri Umbra
classic trashic

I try not to, is the difference. Some people believe in rascism, sexism, some people beleive in using elephant tusks to cure cancer, doesnt mean its even remotely true, and it hurts society for thinking that way.

but when you say things about them you're being just as bad. if someone is racist against you, you being racist towards their people just makes the situation worse. i had someone tell me i was ingorant, and racist, and white washed for nothing more than my appearance as a white person, an then they saw my arabic name and were like, "oh. . .you're middle eastern. well, you're not racist and ignorant then." she was an idiot, and it would be foolish to consider everyone of her race/culture an idiot just because of her.

AcidStrips's Husband

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
classic trashic
stealthmongoose
classic trashic
We Are Organisms
classic trashic

i have friends of all different religions and races. they tell me they are muslim, or christian, or atheist, or sikh, and i do not lose respect for them over that. people lose my respect when they start saying stupid s**t like, "all christians are evil" or "all atheists are evil". most of the people i hang out with now are nonpracticing "religious people. basically, they claim to be buddhist, or christian or whatever, but don't really do anything about it. or even atheists who just state they don't believe in god and do not go any further than that.

You have yet to draw the line for insult. From what i gather, you're perfectly comfortable talking with people who don't bring their beliefs to the table. What relevance does this have in a place where discussion is part of the subject?

An area with zero movement, zero friction, and zero force provides zero energy. Your relationship with your friends is the same if you're bringing them into the discussion. You talk about nothing, therefore nothing happens in relevance to this subject.

Sure, you don't fight, you don't get into arguments, but chances are you don't know jack s**t about each others beliefs or their validity. People are strengthened in their bonds by discourse and difference in opinion.

You and I must disagree to the point where i don't think we can find common ground on this subject.

You on the one hand, believe it's best to never challenge beliefs or verify information if it offends somebody.

I, on the other hand, consider the challenging of one's beliefs, the interest in it's discourse, and the information and knowledge gained on both the person and their beliefs to be valuable and a stronger way to improve oneself and others.

To me, your method provides no improvement, no explanatory power, and no validity in that it proposes such discussion as offensive or harmful.

8,175 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
stealthmongoose
classic trashic
stealthmongoose
classic trashic
We Are Organisms
classic trashic

You have yet to draw the line for insult. From what i gather, you're perfectly comfortable talking with people who don't bring their beliefs to the table. What relevance does this have in a place where discussion is part of the subject?

An area with zero movement, zero friction, and zero force provides zero energy. Your relationship with your friends is the same if you're bringing them into the discussion. You talk about nothing, therefore nothing happens in relevance to this subject.

Sure, you don't fight, you don't get into arguments, but chances are you don't know jack s**t about each others beliefs or their validity. People are strengthened in their bonds by discourse and difference in opinion.

You and I must disagree to the point where i don't think we can find common ground on this subject.

You on the one hand, believe it's best to never challenge beliefs or verify information if it offends somebody.

I, on the other hand, consider the challenging of one's beliefs, the interest in it's discourse, and the information and knowledge gained on both the person and their beliefs to be valuable and a stronger way to improve oneself and others.

To me, your method provides no improvement, no explanatory power, and no validity in that it proposes such discussion as offensive or harmful.

my friends tell me about their religions and cultures, about their places or worship, their holidays. do i get offended because i don't believe in them? no. it widens my knowledge about the world. people are different from all over the world. and there's nothing wrong with that. it's when you start letting it control your life that it becomes a problem. when you're telling people they're gonna go to hell if they don't agree with you, or when you're telling people they're stupid cuz they read the bible. it makes you all look bad.

8,175 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Lord Balmung of Azure Sky
The religion I left told me that it really did matter what you believe and that it does matter who's right, and that that religion is right, everybody else is wrong, and that they need to be told of their ways so that they can join us.

Unfortunately that's also what every religion I came across when I was open to the idea of religion said as well.

Thus is why people fight over religion.

it makes everyone look bad. and now the atheists are just as bad. i used to think they were the normal ones. clearly i was wrong.
but these people fighting with each other have pretty much become the laughing stock of the world. i mean, even south park made their atheist episode, and i can't see trey parker being particularly religious. the other atheists are laughing at the idiot ones, just like the other christians laugh at their idiots.

AcidStrips's Husband

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
classic trashic
stealthmongoose
classic trashic
stealthmongoose
classic trashic

my friends tell me about their religions and cultures, about their places or worship, their holidays. do i get offended because i don't believe in them? no. it widens my knowledge about the world. people are different from all over the world. and there's nothing wrong with that. it's when you start letting it control your life that it becomes a problem. when you're telling people they're gonna go to hell if they don't agree with you, or when you're telling people they're stupid cuz they read the bible. it makes you all look bad.

If you remain silent while disagreeing with their views, then i would say you're worse than a person who shouts their disagreement with offensiveness and intolerance, as that person is being more honest in their volume than you in your silence.

If there is offense to be gleaned, then it should be gleaned from reasonable sources. Your religion involves killing infants, ergo i have a right to be offended and speak out against such beliefs. Speaking out against such beliefs makes me neither an a*****e or intolerant, contrary to how you are portraying the subject.

When you tell people they're going to go to hell if they don't believe as you do, that is a product of your religion and your contract with said religion. Such is the case with all Christians, who like it or not have chosen to adopt the notion of Hell and eternal suffering for nonbelievers.

If you believe in the bible (not just read it, everyone has read the bible at some point in time) then i can confidently say that you are at least stupid to some degree. This does not make me look bad, as belief in the Bible requires the brain to be dysfunctional in several cognitive sectors, rendering human intelligence within the person less than average.

That being said, i'd like you to provide an example of a sweeping generalization such as the one you provided within this forum from the part of an Atheist. Then i want you to compare that sweeping generalization with the ones made categorically and mandatory by various religions.

When you've gotten done comparing the generalizations made by Atheists with those made by various Religions, you can proceed to analyze the claims made by each and see what the value is in discussing these things or opposing them.

By this point, your topic will seem dated and irrelevant, i'm sure.

At the end of the day, if the bar for insult is "Sweeping generalizations" as you've already pointed out, i'm afraid religions have that as part of their creed in most if not all cases, whereas human beings and Atheists tend to do it as part of basic human mistakes. Atheists, for example, don't think in general that all Christians deserve an eternity in hell, and that the thought of such a thing is a human desire for revenge and not worth worshipping.

8,175 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
stealthmongoose
classic trashic
stealthmongoose
classic trashic
stealthmongoose
classic trashic

If you remain silent while disagreeing with their views, then i would say you're worse than a person who shouts their disagreement with offensiveness and intolerance, as that person is being more honest in their volume than you in your silence.

If there is offense to be gleaned, then it should be gleaned from reasonable sources. Your religion involves killing infants, ergo i have a right to be offended and speak out against such beliefs. Speaking out against such beliefs makes me neither an a*****e or intolerant, contrary to how you are portraying the subject.

When you tell people they're going to go to hell if they don't believe as you do, that is a product of your religion and your contract with said religion. Such is the case with all Christians, who like it or not have chosen to adopt the notion of Hell and eternal suffering for nonbelievers.

If you believe in the bible (not just read it, everyone has read the bible at some point in time) then i can confidently say that you are at least stupid to some degree. This does not make me look bad, as belief in the Bible requires the brain to be dysfunctional in several cognitive sectors, rendering human intelligence within the person less than average.

That being said, i'd like you to provide an example of a sweeping generalization such as the one you provided within this forum from the part of an Atheist. Then i want you to compare that sweeping generalization with the ones made categorically and mandatory by various religions.

When you've gotten done comparing the generalizations made by Atheists with those made by various Religions, you can proceed to analyze the claims made by each and see what the value is in discussing these things or opposing them.

At the end of the day, if the bar for insult is "Sweeping generalizations" as you've already pointed out, i'm afraid religions have that as part of their creed in most if not all cases, whereas human beings and Atheists tend to do it as part of basic human mistakes. Atheists, for example, don't think in general that all Christians deserve an eternity in hell, and that the thought of such a thing is a human desire for revenge and not worth worshipping.

i don't have time for you. goodbye. i will go off and continue to not hate people for stupid things

Aged Lunatic

An idea you are not prepared to defend to the death is an idea not worth keeping.

AcidStrips's Husband

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
classic trashic
stealthmongoose
classic trashic
stealthmongoose
classic trashic

i don't have time for you. goodbye. i will go off and continue to not hate people for stupid things

You have defined hate as "Making sweeping generalizations of people." Please refer to my response to you on this subject if you ever have any questions on why your argument doesn't work in practice.

The rest of us will be solving problems through careful application of conflict and research, while not pretending that it's offensive.

8,175 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
stealthmongoose
classic trashic
stealthmongoose
classic trashic
stealthmongoose
classic trashic

You have defined hate as "Making sweeping generalizations of people." Please refer to my response to you on this subject if you ever have any questions on why your argument doesn't work in practice.

The rest of us will be solving problems through careful application of conflict and research, while not pretending that it's offensive.

listen. i'd like to help you, but my bf is puking mcchickens and coke all over the trailer, so imma have to wrap this up some other time.

Greedy Consumer

classic trashic
stealthmongoose
classic trashic
stealthmongoose
classic trashic

listen. i'd like to help you, but my bf is puking mcchickens and coke all over the trailer, so imma have to wrap this up some other time.
suddenly mcdonalds isn't healthy lol. I thought you said it was? Isnt that a contradiction?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff