Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Cupcakes HD on youtube
Without the first book the rest wouldn't exist.

I'm afraid there we'll have to agree to disagree. Struggling to find something to back me up on this as far as dates of authorship go, but it's difficult and I'm too tired to look much harder (I know it's out there, but ******** it), so let's go to the logistics here.

Sacred texts. Religious scripture. There is a lot of it out there. And not all of it necessarily starts at the beginning of the world. As for the Judeo-Christian religions, they seem to start with the Torah, purely as the description of beliefs and religious law (hence "Torah" ).

But even this was not written all at once by one man (tradition would say Moses). Hell, Genesis itself jumps around a bit. First Man and Woman are made together, then Man was made alone but required a companion so God made him a ladyfriend later. And that's just one example.

So it's entirely possible that tradition existed before Genesis, and likely other parts and forms of religious literature as well. Legends from days gone by. Cultural traditions.

Hell, just going by a number of linguistic and narrative influences of the Torah alone, I'd hazard a guess and say they didn't even write the damn things down until sometime during or after the Babylonian exile.

Not sure if that at all accurately makes my point, or anything. Sorry. Again, I'm tired. I should just go to bed.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Mark Twain 100
Does the Pentateuch as a collection count as one book...? I mean, traditionally it kind of is...

I ask because, when it comes to awful and/or nonsensical things, Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers & Deuteronomy are hard to beat. To name a few things, they've got...

* contradictory creation accounts
    * talking animals
    * a few divinely-sanctioned genocides
    * God hardening the heart of Pharaoh, preventing him from freeing the Jews, then punishing his people for it 10 times
    * divinely-sanctioned abortion
    * children being punished for their parents' sins for numerous generations after the fact
    * virgins from conquered cities being taken by soldiers 'for their use'
    * God forcing people to commit cannibalism
    * a world-wide flood that has no evidence to support it
    * bats being classified as birds
    * an origin story for languages which any linguist would laugh at
    * God killing people because some guy collected firewood on the sabbath
    * numerous instances of incest which God doesn't bat an eye at
    * God putting a plague on 14,700 Jews who thought killing 250 princes was wrong
    * several orders to kill anyone with different religious views - for that reason
    * God ordering a woman to return to slavery so she can bear her master children against her will
    * rules for owning slaves which say that beating them is A-OK
    * rules for selling ones daughter(s) into slavery
    * prohibitions against handicapped and/or maimed people being priests
    * God ordering the daughters of priests who engage in prostitution to be burned alive

Liberal Friend

It's strange to me how far off Christianity has gone off the early Christian views and how those views are far from how God is portrayed in Genesis. Let's take a little trip in Genesis.

1. The man and woman attained knowledge that God has, knowing good and evil. (Gen. 3:5, 22) We're like gods!
2. God actually has a physical body. He walks (3:8). He comes down from his abode (11:5). He also looks like a man (18:2; cf. 1:26,27 and 5:1, 3).
3. God is the one who actually brings diseases and destruction on people, not Satan or sin. For example, because Abram deceived the Pharaoh, he and his household were inflicted with diseases (12:17; 19). And God was all right with that, of course, considering he's the one who made a deceptive serpent.

Liberal Friend

Arcoon Effox
* God hardening the heart of Pharaoh, preventing him from freeing the Jews, then punishing his people for it 10 times

Actually, elsewhere in Exodus, it says Pharaoh was actually hardening his own heart. However, I suspect (though I have no evidence) that this was redacted to make God look like he's not at fault for hardening Pharaoh's heart.

Edit: See, it's strange that even Paul would write that God hardened Pharaoh's heart and did it for his own purpose. Considering he was a "Hebrew of Hebrews", I would expect him to not miss that important detail about Pharaoh hardening his own heart. Of course, he might have been selective to push forward his own agenda.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Mark Twain 100
Mea quidem sententia
Arcoon Effox
Actually, elsewhere in Exodus, it says Pharaoh was actually hardening his own heart.
Exodus says both things, and the few instances that it doesn't say God was directly responsible could be explained based on perspective.

First, in verses 4:21 & 7:3, God tells Moses that he's going to harden Pharaoh's heart (specifically so that he can "multiply His signs and wonders"), and in verses 7:13 & 9:12, God actively hardens Pharaoh's heart.

In verse 10:1, Moses is again told by God that He was going to harden Pharaoh's heart, and does so in verse 10:20. (This time we even get a reminder that he has done so seven verses later.) Later, verse 11:10 again has God influencing Pharaoh's decisions.

Once again in verse 14:4, God say's he'll be hardening Pharaoh's heart so that he'll chase after the fleeing Israelites, that way he can make a spectacle of how awesome he is to the Egyptians, follows through with this in verse 14:8. Later, in verse 14:18, he hardens the hearts of the entire Egyptian force pursuing them in addition to Pharaoh, making them give chase through the divided waters explicitly for the purpose of "gaining glory" by killing them all.

On the other side of things, verse 8:15 has Pharaoh hardening his own heart after the Plague of Frogs abated, and again in verse 8:32 after the Plague of Flies.

Verse 9:34 is interesting in that it says that Pharaoh "sinned once more" by hardening his heart after the flaming hail stopped coming down. If doing so was sinful, does that mean God was causing him to sin those times earlier when he was manipulating his thoughts...?

Getting to what I said about perspective, I read an interesting idea which revolves around the where the point of view is in the narration. Basically, whenever God describes what is going on, God says that he has hardened Pharaoh’s heart, and describes it as his own action. Whenever Pharaoh is said to harden his heart, the description comes within the narration of what Pharaoh did or what Moses saw, not the divine description. As such, if God did indeed harden Pharaoh’s heart, we would not see it happening other than by observing that Pharaoh appeared to harden his heart and reject Moses's request.
Mea quidem sententia
...I suspect (though I have no evidence) that this was redacted to make God look like he's not at fault for hardening Pharaoh's heart.
I dunno; it has no qualms with saying that God was responsible all those other times...
Mea quidem sententia
Edit: See, it's strange that even Paul would write that God hardened Pharaoh's heart and did it for his own purpose. Considering he was a "Hebrew of Hebrews", I would expect him to not miss that important detail about Pharaoh hardening his own heart. Of course, he might have been selective to push forward his own agenda.
Verses like Exodus 4:21, 7:3 & 14:4 make it blatantly obvious that God is hardening Pharaoh's heart for his own gain, so that he can show the Egyptians that he's the Top Dog God by "retaliating" against them for not doing what he wants.

Timid Conversationalist

Hikarulawl

Genesis. If you haven't read this book, The Skeptics Annotated Bible by Steve Wells, than I highly recommend it.
Hikarulawl
Despite the obvious answer all of it. I just want to hear what you guys think is the most baffling, vile, disgusting, contradicting, laughable, asinine load of malarkey you think is the worst book of the bible.

My vote goes to the book of Deuteronomy. You know the part about marriage violation on how a man should rape treat a woman who's village they pillage and burn down and force slavery? I don't think I had ever read a piece fictional text about raping and enslaving women so damn vile, it actual made me physically ill. And I read some ******** up fanfiction.

Ive read some sick fan fiction too.

But concerning the book of Deuteronomy, there is no such teaching on raping woman of whose villages were commanded by God to destroy.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Definitely Leviticus. Not exactly 'wicked' but repulsive in some instances.

In no particular order:

Leviticus 24:16

Quote:
Anyone who blasphemes the name of the LORD is to be put to death. The entire assembly must stone them. Whether foreigner or native-born, when they blaspheme the Name they are to be put to death.

Leviticus 15:19

Quote:
When a woman has her regular flow of blood, the impurity of her monthly period will last seven days, and anyone who touches her will be unclean till evening.

Leviticus 20:18

Quote:
If a man has sexual relations with a woman during her monthly period, he has exposed the source of her flow, and she has also uncovered it. Both of them are to be cut off from their people.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
anonymous attributes

But concerning the book of Deuteronomy, there is no such teaching on raping woman of whose villages were commanded by God to destroy.

Be that as it may, there is some victim blaming concerning rape. Particularly towards the woman who was raped.

Deuteronomy 22:24

Quote:
you shall take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death--the young woman because she was in a town and did not scream for help, and the man because he violated another man's wife. You must purge the evil from among you.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Hikarulawl
Gotta love how god made light BEFORE the sun.

Light did exist before the sun and before every star in the universe.
Because, you know, the big bang, cosmology, the whole of science.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Revelation. Blatant fanfiction.

Unbeatable Conversationalist

8,400 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Voter 100
  • First step to fame 200
anonymous attributes
Hikarulawl
Despite the obvious answer all of it. I just want to hear what you guys think is the most baffling, vile, disgusting, contradicting, laughable, asinine load of malarkey you think is the worst book of the bible.

My vote goes to the book of Deuteronomy. You know the part about marriage violation on how a man should rape treat a woman who's village they pillage and burn down and force slavery? I don't think I had ever read a piece fictional text about raping and enslaving women so damn vile, it actual made me physically ill. And I read some ******** up fanfiction.

The teachings wasn't about HOW to rape women. The teaches I mention are the instructions on how a man whom had enslave the women of the village they pillage or a virgin in general to go about it.

Marrying a Captive Woman

10 When you go to war against your enemies and the Lord your God delivers them into your hands and you take captives.

11 if you notice among the captives a beautiful woman and are attracted to her, you may take her as your wife.

12 Bring her into your home and have her shave her head, trim her nails.

13 and put aside the clothes she was wearing when captured. After she has lived in your house and mourned her father and mother for a full month, then you may go to her and be her husband and she shall be your wife.

14 If you are not pleased with her, let her go wherever she wishes. You must not sell her or treat her as a slave, since you have dishonored her.

Deuteronomy 21.10-14
Hikarulawl
anonymous attributes
Hikarulawl

The teachings wasn't about HOW to rape women. The teaches I mention are the instructions on how a man whom had enslave the women of the village they pillage or a virgin in general to go about it.

Marrying a Captive Woman

10 When you go to war against your enemies and the Lord your God delivers them into your hands and you take captives.

11 if you notice among the captives a beautiful woman and are attracted to her, you may take her as your wife.

13 and put aside the clothes she was wearing when captured. After she has lived in your house and mourned her father and mother for a full month, then you may go to her and be her husband and she shall be your wife.

14 If you are not pleased with her, let her go wherever she wishes. You must not sell her or treat her as a slave, since you have dishonored her.

Deuteronomy 21.10-14

Oh, I know what the text says. I cant remember how many times Ive read it, besides the point.

I am not sure why you would deffend with "The teaching wast about 'HOW' to rape a woman." I never suggested that it had, if you thought that is what I said, that would be a radical interpretation, but I assure you there is no interpretation needed. If that is the case, fine, but if not, that is a straw man of sorts.

And now that you have brought it to light so that people will not be mislead about the "rape" idea, I therefore have nothing to contribute. That was good of you.

I have no further inquires or suggestions.

Unbeatable Conversationalist

8,400 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Voter 100
  • First step to fame 200
anonymous attributes
Hikarulawl
anonymous attributes
Hikarulawl

Marrying a Captive Woman

Deuteronomy 21.10-14

Oh, I know what the text says. I cant remember how many times Ive read it, besides the point.

I am not sure why you would deffend with "The teaching wast about 'HOW' to rape a woman." I never suggested that it had, if you thought that is what I said, that would be a radical interpretation, but I assure you there is no interpretation needed. If that is the case, fine, but if not, that is a straw man of sorts.

And now that you have brought it to light so that people will not be mislead about the "rape" idea, I therefore have nothing to contribute. That was good of you.

I have no further inquires or suggestions.

By no means would I even attempt to defend this load of tripe. I was just clarifying myself about your question you had. Well it seems my clarification had work sense I not only answer your question, but clear things up for anyone else.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff